Discuss CU in downstairs guest toilet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mamba

Doing a new kitchen extension. Part of the works the client wants to convert the cupboard under the stairs which sites the present CU into a guest toilet with loo and small basin. Due to costs he does not want the CU as I have suggested moved to a safer and more convenient location. The CU IP4X only in its present situ is mounted on a solid brick wall and 650mm off floor level. On installation and completion of all bathroom furniture the CU will be positioned immediately adjacent to the small sink and between the sink and loo in a very confined space. The client is also insisting that due to limited space he does not want the DB enclosed!! to further complicate the issue.
My views are that a guest toilet is not a special location and as it does not have a bath or shower therefore - although not ideal due to limited space and possible water splashing is still OK to leave where it is. On the test sheet I can only list down that I have strongly recommended the CU be relocated but client refuses. your views please.

I have seen this a few times to be honest in modern houses, they seem to cram the DB into the downstairs loo intentionally, is there anyway to build a small cupboard around it? if not, well there is nothing you can do if the client will not pay for it to be moved.

As you quiet rightly say its not a special location, so quote them and add some extra on as sure as hell they should like they will be difficult.

Mine is in the downstairs bog and before I rewired it was down the side of the bog at about seat height - Brilliant.

I shifted it up to about 6 feet from the floor and a bit further from the bog so now it's in a Safe Zone - safe from flying spray that is.

I have seen this a few times to be honest in modern houses, they seem to cram the DB into the downstairs loo intentionally, is there anyway to build a small cupboard around it? if not, well there is nothing you can do if the client will not pay for it to be moved.
they seem to love putting them in stupid places these days,the best I've seen lately in friends houses are.
1 over the top of a door,2 behind a door,3 about 1200mmup and 900 mm in from a corner,and that was in a small lounge.

Recently did a CU change. It was located on the side wall of a garage about 10 feet up, just above the up-and-over garage door. It was attached to the house, but because the back end had been converted into an office, there was no other access and no windows.

So the procedure was: put on head lamp, open door, enter garage, close door, move step ladder, climb ladder to access CU, down ladder, move ladder away from door, open door, exit garage. Made testing a right pain.

I did say that I could put the new one further down the wall, below the level of the door track, but he wasn't interested.

What, the toilet ?, lol

I was once asked by an Asian gentleman if I could fit a toilet for him so I went to look at the job.

Big rather dilapidated house in Gateshead with a long landing upstairs in the middle of which stood the scruffiest bog I've ever seen - I swear he must have dragged it out of a skip - and it was this bog that he wanted fitting and plumbed-in just where it stood - no cubicle or screening of any kind at all. "It's just for the kids" he explained.

I walked away.

Mine is in the downstairs bog and before I rewired it was down the side of the bog at about seat height - Brilliant.

I shifted it up to about 6 feet from the floor and a bit further from the bog so now it's in a Safe Zone - safe from flying spray that is.
Strange you should mention 'flying spray'. I was listening to an article on prostate cancer on Radio 4 the other day. The (female) urologist said that by about age 20 the urine stream flow of a normal prostrate could make up to 20 feet from the urinal. So, is you newly sited cu/db REALLY safe?

Reply to CU in downstairs guest toilet in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net