Discuss DB relocation plan. Am i missing anyrhing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all

First time relocating a DB and just want to clarify my plans and check if missing anything. I have attached a photo of current DB and and the fused isolator I am intending on using. The main head is being relocated on to back wall where board currently is by U.K power.....there is enough slack under floor boards for them to do this without extending cables. The new DB location is about 8 metres away. I intend on using 3 core SWA for this. From my calculations the additional voltage drop should not be to much of a concern? My main question as have never installed one of these isolator switches they are described as having both a 25 and 32mm knock out on top and bottom so plan would be to reposition meter above isolator and take 16mm tails in top of this along with 16mm earth which I will take from the MET. These will be in 32mm stuffing gland....I think I recall from past can get 3 x 16mm in a 32? Then I will gland out the bottom with my SWA and take this to new DB location. Not sure if these Lewden
isolators provide a 16mm earth connection bar? there's no mention of them in spec so may go with the Wylex one although a bit more pricey.

Attachments

• CGFS100.JPG.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20201024-WA0000.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 28
You can get specific glands for tails, 3×16.0 or 2×25.0 and 1×16.0 In plastic or plated brass. There will be an earth bar within for 16.0.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-plastic-gland-kit-2x16mm-1x16mm-tails-cable/6037p

You can get specific glands for tails, 3×16.0 or 2×25.0 and 1×16.0 In plastic or plated brass. There will be an earth bar within for 16.0.
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-plastic-gland-kit-2x16mm-1x16mm-tails-cable/6037p
Thanks Westward will definately go with these. Just seems bit strange to me that the Lewden isolator doesn't mention anything about the earth bar and isn't shown on technical sheet. Would be very surprised if didn't but you know what its like have job need to complete in quick time and get caught out by the silliest things

2 x 25mm + 1 x 16mm tail gland would be 40mm cut out. Hole cutter required.

2 x 16mm + 1 x 10mm tail gland would be 32mm knock out.

IP4X can be achieved with a 25mm brass bush and locknut, 32mm may allow a skinny finger through.

Never tried a 32mm dome top although keep meaning to give it a go, would not achieve IP2X though.

I used 2 Lewdens switch fuses recently and if I recall correctly they had a three way earth terminal 1 x 16mm and 2 x 10mm, could be wrong - memories not what it was mind.

Reading back thorough the post above mine, it looks to have been specifically referring to glands available through the quoted screwfix link
I'd like to pretend I was but all the ones I have ever bought have been 40mm, from Rexel, CEF, Eddie's etc..

Just assumed it was convention.

Will be getting me some of the 32mm ones.

Thanks.

2 x 25mm + 1 x 16mm tail gland would be 40mm cut out. Hole cutter required.

2 x 16mm + 1 x 10mm tail gland would be 32mm knock out.

IP4X can be achieved with a 25mm brass bush and locknut, 32mm may allow a skinny finger through.

Never tried a 32mm dome top although keep meaning to give it a go, would not achieve IP2X though.

I used 2 Lewdens switch fuses recently and if I recall correctly they had a three way earth terminal 1 x 16mm and 2 x 10mm, could be wrong - memories not what it was mind.
Thanks for the heads up on Lewden switch fused GB

You can get 2x 25mm and 1x 16mm in SOME 32mm compression glands, but they dont fit in the latest batch I bought so have been using the wiska sprint with a 40mm to 32mm reducer that they have come with anyway from edmundson

Reply to DB relocation plan. Am i missing anyrhing? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net