Discuss DIYers/Builders...when will it end in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

is their much work around edinburgh old timer, i moved there once , set two steps in the jobs centre and new was a waste of time.. very long waiting times to vacancy closes.. loda ......

Out of interest if you manage to control the sale of electrical equipment, how do I go and buy what I need for a job at home. Do I have to take all my qualifications along with me? I’m not, nor would I ever be a member of a scam (sorry scheme).
One disadvantage of finishing work is I can’t float stuff through on the back of orders as I had for thirty + years before. (Two 6 way 200A RedSpot boards and a Wylex consumer unit must have looked a bit odd).
Gas fittings are readily on sale along with the electrical gear. I’ve just bought some to put my new cooker in.
Be realistic, how can it be controlled?

I reckon dentistry is where the money is at - OK you have to pay some fit bird to stand next to you and write stuff down, and a grumpy bird to sit behind a desk being rude to people, but £30 for a quick checkup? Dick Turpin, mask etc!
There seems to be a 'massive skills shortage' as well - most of the dentists around here are fully booked.
I wonder if I can do a 5 week distance learning dentistry course...

You've definitely trumped me there. I had a check up and clean the other day. Hygienist and dentist - £88!!!

Out of interest if you manage to control the sale of electrical equipment, how do I go and buy what I need for a job at home. Do I have to take all my qualifications along with me? I’m not, nor would I ever be a member of a scam (sorry scheme).
One disadvantage of finishing work is I can’t float stuff through on the back of orders as I had for thirty + years before. (Two 6 way 200A RedSpot boards and a Wylex consumer unit must have looked a bit odd).
Gas fittings are readily on sale along with the electrical gear. I’ve just bought some to put my new cooker in.
Be realistic, how can it be controlled?

This is not confined to the UK.
In Australia ( where i used to live ) I was often asked to look at fixed wiring problems even though I had NO tickets at all connected to installation/inspection or testing. I repaired televisions for a living in those days. Even with the very tight laws there re supply of electical items to the public I NEVER had any trouble getting hold of whatever kit I needed.
In this country we will never control the sale of anything as long as the sellers make a few bob....

Nothing like a spot of deceased equine flogging!

Computer software should only be sold to programmers, HMRC should only talk to accountants, an MOT test should only be carried out for a mechanic accompanying the car, food should only be prepared by people with a hygene certificate, asprin should only be prescribed by a doctor, etc etc etc.

Electricians or Orwellians?

I have seen some awful work by DIYers, but it's no worse than the awful work I have seen carried out by time served qualified electricians. It's the way the world is. You'll have to learn to accept it though, because you should only ever have one skill and do one job from leaving school. So you can't leave now.

Computer software should only be sold to programmers, HMRC should only talk to accountants, an MOT test should only be carried out for a mechanic accompanying the car, food should only be prepared by people with a hygene certificate, asprin should only be prescribed by a doctor, etc etc etc.

I have seen some awful work by DIYers, but it's no worse than the awful work I have seen carried out by time served qualified electricians. It's the way the world is. You'll have to learn to accept it though, because you should only ever have one skill and do one job from leaving school. So you can't leave now.

you missed out the Electrical Trainee there too ...

I don't think the likes of B&Q should be selling electrical products that need Part Pee notification (something non existent here, but they do it in England and Wales where Part Pee is in place). Nor should they offer "guidance". If you don't know how to wire 2 way lights or fit a consumer unit, then you shouldn't be bloody near it! And nor should this forum advise on that!

I find it crazy that its harder to get stuff from a food wholesalers as a Joe Bloggs than it is from an Electrical Wholesalers. Apart from the obvious issue that some Electrical Wholesalers employ idiots (which makes getting the right stuff bloody difficult) there are no checks in place to see who you are, whereas food wholesalers require quite a few bits of documentation to allow you to shop with them.

Walk into a food wholesalers as an unknown - not much chance of getting anything. Walk into an electrical wholesaler as an unknown, get what you want and probably some free advice to boot. Joke!

My sentiments exactly. Im gald to see im not the only person in the world still capable of rational thought.

Death to the effing nanny state. Ban the sale of sockets and cable to non electricians? why? apart from giving electricians more work what is this actually going to acheive for the wider world? Nothing.

You guys are really getting boring. DIY electrical work is really not the end of the world. Wake up!
There are lots of problems in this country at the moment, many of which are due to the nanny state, but thousands of people electrocuting themselves and burning their houses down through DIY electrical work is not one of them.
And this ones really gonna make me popular....
Its wiring not ******* brainsurgery!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the likes of B&Q should be selling electrical products that need Part Pee notification (something non existent here, but they do it in England and Wales where Part Pee is in place). Nor should they offer "guidance". If you don't know how to wire 2 way lights or fit a consumer unit, then you shouldn't be bloody near it! And nor should this forum advise on that!

I find it crazy that its harder to get stuff from a food wholesalers as a Joe Bloggs than it is from an Electrical Wholesalers. Apart from the obvious issue that some Electrical Wholesalers employ idiots (which makes getting the right stuff bloody difficult) there are no checks in place to see who you are, whereas food wholesalers require quite a few bits of documentation to allow you to shop with them.

Walk into a food wholesalers as an unknown - not much chance of getting anything. Walk into an electrical wholesaler as an unknown, get what you want and probably some free advice to boot. Joke!

Thing is mate
DIY electrics, as in, buying a few sockets and doing electrical work in your home would be comparible to buying a few sausages from the supermarket and cooking them in your home. If you are at a food wholsaler, it is almost certainly not gonna be for personal use, whereas an elec wholesaler it could well be.
And if elec wholsalers started being gay about who they sell to, people would just buy stuff off the net, and the wholesalers will suffer.
It would be near impossible to blanket control the sale of elec goods

It will never ever ever happen.
Why?
Not enough people are dying.

Thing is mate
DIY electrics, as in, buying a few sockets and doing electrical work in your home would be comparible to buying a few sausages from the supermarket and cooking them in your home. If you are at a food wholsaler, it is almost certainly not gonna be for personal use, whereas an elec wholesaler it could well be.
And if elec wholsalers started being gay about who they sell to, people would just buy stuff off the net, and the wholesalers will suffer.
It would be near impossible to blanket control the sale of elec goods

It will never ever ever happen.
Why?
Not enough people are dying.
skip the sausage isle at the local supermarket.....various cable and electrical accessories etc grace the shelves there now.....

get either wrong it ends up in death..

Get brain surgery wrong its prolly 50/50 that the patient will come out alive without mental illness. Get electrics wrong: it wont work/the rcd will pop/the breaker will pop/it will be perfectly safe and work fine/absolutely minute chance that there will be a fire and somone will die.

I mean really....
If there are sooo many DIYers out there, what we talking? 1% of people are at it?
So thats about 600 000...
And how many are dying
Yeah thats right
Less than 30 (none of which are nessecarily caused by DIY work)
And my guess would be most fixed wiring electrical fires are caused by very very old wirng on very old fuseboards carried out by what are now very very old time served sparkies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get brain surgery wrong its prolly 50/50 that the patient will come out alive without mental illness. Get electrics wrong: it wont work/the rcd will pop/the breaker will pop/it will be perfectly safe and work fine/absolutely minute chance that there will be a fire and somone will die.

did you learn that on week 1 or 5

did you learn that on week 1 or 5

Aren't you a clever boy
Learnt that one of yer idol E54 didn't yer?
When you are completely incapable of giving any reason or evidence to back up your arguments, you go back to your rather pathetic attempt to ridicule people by accusing them of doing a short trainig course. Classic E54.

Take it from me
the only person you are making look stupid is yourself.

Aren't you a clever boy
Learnt that one of yer idol E54 didn't yer?
When you are completely incapable of giving any reason or evidence to back up your arguments, you go back to your rather pathetic attempt to ridicule people by accusing them of doing a short trainig course. Classic E54.

Take it from me
the only person you are making look stupid is yourself.

no comment,well until e54 comments then i'll just agree with me dad...

Reply to DIYers/Builders...when will it end in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net