Discuss DIYers/Builders...when will it end in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Exactly. It was never intended to stop qualified employed electicians doing their own work, that was just a side effect. I can't see how you'd ever get in trouble for it. For a sparky who spends most of their time doing private domestic jobs its in their own interest to be registered to avoid the odd problem with building inspectors and because it looks more pro if you can put on yr letter head 'registered competent person'

If you're a qual'd spark whos not registered doing private domestic jobs the only thing you are doing is a minor breach of building regs, which any decent builder does on a regular basis.

ive never worried about it to be fair,and as far as i know no one as ever been up in front of the beak for not being part p as its known

To a point, we should be thankful for the existence of the DIYer and for the sheds that supply him/her. For example, today I have had two calls from people who have decided to put their own light fittings in. Red to red black to black turn on and bang Er I'd best phone a sparky.
Easy money for an easy job

............ blue to Hell. :)

I see that on page 13 of this months March edition of the Professional Electrician The NICEIC "The UK,s leading voluntery regulatory body" is encouraging free transfers from your current scheme providor because "they run several campaigns throughout the year that helps contractors get more jobs" because they are NICEIC badged.

Well Well thank God somebody is looking after standards in the industry so does that mean the rest of the Schemies are just dross then ?

was doing some work at leighs (my boss) house today......lunchtime..telly on....and it was rogue traders...there he was going on about `well the electrics have been sorted out by an NIC part p qualified electrician`....nearly fell off the sofa laughing.....and theres more.....this presenter was rambling on about how a cable feeding a socket had been `extended`...by twisting the conductors together and taping up....bit of plaster over the joint...jobs a good un....but it was the way he went on and on about it....i mean we see this kind of crap all the time....so get over it ...just sort it out for the girl.....

I did all my own house and guess what ?? I'm still here !!!

Same here... I spent 3 Years at University and gained a degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I think as long as you have some technical background and fully understand how AC power flows then fine for slight mods, extending circuits. Of course, any notifiable work should be overseen/carried out by an electrician that has his ticket.

I reckon dentistry is where the money is at - OK you have to pay some fit bird to stand next to you and write stuff down, and a grumpy bird to sit behind a desk being rude to people, but ÂŁ30 for a quick checkup? Dick Turpin, mask etc!
There seems to be a 'massive skills shortage' as well - most of the dentists around here are fully booked.
I wonder if I can do a 5 week distance learning dentistry course...
Hey Adam, dont take this the wrong way mate but would you class your wife as a fit bird? if so your on a winner think about this,ok here goes fit wife, grumpy m i l (most are) online order for dentistry eqpt read up how to do it online and away you go simples.after all it will probably go that way soon so you could be a pioneer after all didn,t blacksmiths pull teeth as a sideline in the old days.:smile5:

Doctors don't withold contraceptive advice because their clients are underage. Generous and knowledgeable sparks share information because they know people are going to do it and it makes it safer.

Doctors don't withold contraceptive advice because their clients are underage. Generous and knowledgeable sparks share information because they know people are going to do it and it makes it safer.
I think that's a bad example - doctors take the Hippocratic Oath and they'll help anyone even if they're on their way home and someone has fallen over in the street.

If you ask a piano tuner how to tune your own piano they'll tell you not to because you'll probably mess it up. They'll happily come and tune it for you (for a price) and they'll come and sort out the mess you've made of having a go yourself, but they'll probably charge you more for that, and they might even say "I told you so".

I think that's a bad example - doctors take the Hippocratic Oath and they'll help anyone

Yes sorry very good point I forgot that doctors are obligated to help anyone regardless but electricians can choose not to but it still raises an important question about our obligation to use expert knowledge or status responsibly, and that witholding it may not always be the best option. The general point, made many times, holds, that in ignoring or opting out of a request for information there is a calculated risk that an unqualified person will put themselves or others in danger.
My general impression of the forum is that many contributors make a judgement based on the nature and wording of the request, offering appropriate technical and practical advice and also appropriate warnings. I wouldn't like them to be put off doing so.

At the end of the day it's a job although some feel the moral obligation to help others and ensure their safety.

As for advice on the internet, there's a very fine line. One phrase taken out of context could potentially lead to injury or death, very difficult choice to make. Give people the information they need to make an informed decision, normally that entails get a qualified professional in but then most forum users create an account to try and get the job done without spending too much money which sort of defeats the whole object... Swings and roundabouts...

It is tue though that a lot of DIYers will have a go at electrics and plumbing but not gas, they've bought their house with roof tiles doors windows floorboards and sockets/wiring and they own it all, at the end of the day it's their property.
Electrics they feel are fused and if there was a problem with what they do a fuse will blow/ breaker trip and they'll be ok.
Plumbing they'll have a go at as if there's a problem they'll see a trickle of water and it can be moped up and the stopcock turned off.
Gas on the other hand is a completely different beast, it doesn't have any protection as such (apart from thermocouples) and faults can't be seen. (on that note though I can't see why there isn't an auto cut off on the gas meter so when it senses a pressure drop and it's sensor says there's nothing lit it'd cut the supply / I must design this soon !!!!!!)
I feel this is why there are a lot of 'have a go' diy electrics in homes.

It is tue though that a lot of DIYers will have a go at electrics and plumbing but not gas, they've bought their house with roof tiles doors windows floorboards and sockets/wiring and they own it all, at the end of the day it's their property.
Electrics they feel are fused and if there was a problem with what they do a fuse will blow/ breaker trip and they'll be ok.
Plumbing they'll have a go at as if there's a problem they'll see a trickle of water and it can be moped up and the stopcock turned off.
Gas on the other hand is a completely different beast, it doesn't have any protection as such (apart from thermocouples) and faults can't be seen. (on that note though I can't see why there isn't an auto cut off on the gas meter so when it senses a pressure drop and it's sensor says there's nothing lit it'd cut the supply / I must design this soon !!!!!!)
so electrics are fused and so should blow and they`l be ok....hmm.....a basic misunderstanding then about the job of a fuse/MCB in an electrical installation then by them...

well, it's obvious. the fuse is only there to blow if mr. diy bodger gets it wrong. have to email IET and get them to rewrite the regs.

You're too late ..... it already exists, but is used in Training Establishments & the like.

THIS Boiler recovered from Gateshead gas blast house - Chronicle News - News - ChronicleLive shows what can happen when things go wrong (and no ... it wasn't one of mine !!)

You wouldnt go on a doctors forum and ask them for advise on cutting open your friends arm because his having trouble with it.. same as people here asking what to look for inside their fuse board.. if you dont know what your doing dont bother looking..
Saying that im up for a bit of DIY surgery,, who wants to volenterer

Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldnt go on a doctors forum and ask them for advise you on cutting open your friends arm because his having trouble with it.. same as people here asking what to look for inside their fuse board.. if you dont know what your doing dont bother looking..
Saying that im up for a bit of DIY surgery,, who wants to volenterer

You should stay away from DIY surgery! Someone could get hurt or even worse killed!! Right then..... Who wants step by step instructions on how to change a cu??

You should stay away from DIY surgery! Someone could get hurt or even worse killed!! Right then..... Who wants step by step instructions on how to change a cu??

Come on guys.. Its hardly rocket science? Look at some of the things you come accross on your travels, Installed by a supposed qualified spark! DIYers are just people like everyone else and with a short course can be a PRO !!
Changing a CU is a step by step process. Just think about it??

Reply to DIYers/Builders...when will it end in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net