Discuss Doing things correctly! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davey1984

Hi im new to this game as you will probably tell but i am also not one of these fly by night just done a weeks course i can now do everything guy. Basicaly my experiance so far is 100% mains electric supply as i work for a energy supplier installing single phase and 3 phase electric meters. my current knowledge extends to basicly being able to rewire everything from the electric meter to the consumer unit with little knowledge beyond the consumer unit. What i am interested in is up skilling to become able to perform consumer unit upgrades as with my line of work i see 10-15 customers houses everyday and you can gaurentee at least 5 will ask me how much to upgrade this and that so i thought why dont i upskill gain the correct qualifications and create my own company to capitalise on this. Now i could attend one of these week long courses you see advertised on the internet but im a firm believer in if your going to do a job do it right first time round so who better to ask than qualified electricans any help would be appreciated were i start , which course i need ect ect.

to change consumer units you will need to qualify as an "electrician"

you will need to get the correct qualifications and then register with a body like NICEIC to be able to sign off your own work.

iv never believed in these week long courses myself.

i have studied a total of 3 years at college now on day release along with a full time job.

qualified to level 3, 2330 with my AM2.

soon to get my 2391 :)

dont see how you can learn all this in a week ?

experience takes time..

I used to work for SEC and when there was no work on Contracting , went on to Re certs (meter replacement ) I saw loads off work , that was back in the early eighties , but because I was employed and working under a contract of employment , which does not allow private work , especially if you are touting for work the way your thinking , do you not know that these potential customers not Know this , I saw what happens to guys if caught. You loose your job , and your customers

murdoch if your confused dont anwser questions the rcd protection link youve posted is referring to a different question i asked and has nothing to do with consumer unit upgrade qualifications. Now i can see how you would put 2 and 2 together and think this guy just needs to know how to do it himself but let me reasure you unless i hold the relevant qualifications i aint touching nothing do not confuse me with one of these micky mouse sparkys pease.

i hear what your saying and yes this is what i thought but i dont work for say someone like british gas who operate there own electrical division who offer upgrades i work for a energy supplier who does not off this service and have spoke to my management who have said i can have a second job as long as it does not interfere with my primary job which it wont and because they do not offer this service im not taking business away from them

Holding peices of paper means nothing, understanding the job your doing is massively different.

If your asking baisic questions about Rcd protection your not competent to change CUs

im not changing any cu yet!! i'll ask you a question rob2 when you first started out in this game were you competent enough to change a cu? i'll answer it for you no you were not. I asked a question regarding rcds as i am qualified to extract a mains fuse from the dno cutout which allows me to work safely on an internal supply now if i know im not qualified to change a cu what do you think im going to do instead maybe fit a dp isolation switch or rcd? this is why i asked the question to see wether a rcd would be better than a bp isolation switch which i am competent to fit. maybe these so called "electricains" who seem to think having a dig at someone is amusing ought to ask them selves a question are you's competent enough to hold down common sense conversations or just silly remarks?? if it the latter then be gone with you

murdoch if your confused dont anwser questions the rcd protection link youve posted is referring to a different question i asked and has nothing to do with consumer unit upgrade qualifications. Now i can see how you would put 2 and 2 together and think this guy just needs to know how to do it himself but let me reasure you unless i hold the relevant qualifications i aint touching nothing do not confuse me with one of these micky mouse sparkys pease.

Matey, IF that is the case why did you post the 2 questions?

There have been MANY on here trying to blag their way

Reply to Doing things correctly! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net