Search the forum,

Discuss Domestic inspection and testing what is required? England-Wales in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

As you may all know I am an anorak with politics
I had direct involvement in the Scottish Government landlord electrical guidance by approaching the then minister in 2014 and speaking to her.
Her assistant took my name, number and details and passed them on to the civil servant drawing up the regulations
When I spoke to him I asked if NICEIC and SELECT had suggested they use only NICEIC and SELECT contractors to which he replied YES
I suggested he make the regulations state NICEIC or SELECT or the standards of NICEIC / SELECT (remember no DI or Part P here), he said that was a great idea

I emailed him a tick list which turned out to be appendix A in the mandatory guidance.
See below:

aPP a.png
[automerge]1590132674[/automerge]
This will be the Scottish Government getting on with the day job then ....

Last edited:
But there is nothing in the new law to say this can or can't be done, is a walk through inspection where is can be seen no changes and doing a RCD and loop impedance test to record changes enough?

As far as I can tell it is either a satisfactory EICR or an EIC (for a full rewire only) that are deemed sufficient until the next inspection date.
Tenants very often decide to change light fittings willynilly and occasionally do so very badly. So yes, decent inventories by landlords is not a bad idea as is continuity of familiar inspectors to some degree.
The impending legislation is going to create a lot of work for me, and there will be some landlords in for a shock when they come to the realisation that the issues I have mentioned to them for years now have to be actually dealt with.
Is the whole system ran cack handedly, yes I suspect so. The schemes are just about money, but they hold the cards to advise those in power. As do manufacturers increasingly, which in my view, with their vested interest, have too big of a voice in an advisory role.

I agree, the fact that tenants are "not allowed" to fiddle with the electrics means SFA - some will just ---- about with stuff and not even tell you, let alone ask. It's not happened yet, but if a tenant asked me if they could fit some fancy light fitting, then I'd probably take a look at it and if it's suitable ask them if they'd like me to fit it - on the basis that I'd then know it was done right.
Luckily for us English landlords, the English regs didn't follow the Scottish version and mandate membership of a scam. Unfortunately, I've seen enough to "colour my view" of scams and membership of them.

Reply to Domestic inspection and testing what is required? England-Wales in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net