Discuss door entry system?? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kev2632

26736992.jpg hello could anybody explain how the " trades" button works and the timer etc etc works with this system and what happens when the " trades"buttons works??? thanks.

The trades button operates when the time clock is on. This will allow access by pressing the trades button during the times set on the time clock.

The trades button operates when the time clock is on. This will allow access by pressing the trades button during the times set on the time clock.

Yea that i understand, but what i cant understand is, how does the com,NO,NC connections work on the timer?, how does the trades button get its power? when the timer is on does this close some contact or how does it work?? thanks

Looks like the trade button will open the door when the time clock goes normally closed which will be the specific times you program into it. So example you program the timeclock for 9am-5pm and thats the time when the trade button will work anytime outside that it wont do anything

Looks like the trade button will open the door when the time clock goes normally closed which will be the specific times you program into it. So example you program the timeclock for 9am-5pm and thats the time when the trade button will work anytime outside that it wont do anything

how does the NC contact work when there is no cable connected into the connection?

The lock has a hard positive. i.e its always there. The negative goes through the trade button only when its pressed. It then goes over to the timeclock. The Com, NO, NC is just a clean switch. when the times programmed in the clock are active the negative is allowed to cross from the NO terminal to the Com terminal as it comes out of the Com terminal it goes into the negative side of the lock and thus completeing the circuit and door opens

The lock has a hard positive. i.e its always there. The negative goes through the trade button only when its pressed. It then goes over to the timeclock. The Com, NO, NC is just a clean switch. when the times programmed in the clock are active the negative is allowed to cross from the NO terminal to the Com terminal as it comes out of the Com terminal it goes into the negative side of the lock and thus completeing the circuit and door opens

I just noticed your from Inverness ?? is that right?

If you need further explanation on how a relay works its like this. You have a common terminal abbreviated Com. That terminal can be linked to the NO or the NC depending on the state of the timeclock. in its untriggerd state the terminal NC which stands for Normally Close will be just that Closed meaning the it will be connected to the Com terminal if the timeclock thus turns on it will reverse this and the NC terminal will no longer be connected to the Com terminal but rather the NO terminal will be.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes im from Inverness

The lock is a fail safe, which means it needs power to open. 12v positive is wired direct to the lock, and neg supply is switch via th push button. the time clock open circuits the push neg supply when out of hour (or time set) and closes the circuit to allow push button to work.

The lock is a fail safe, which means it needs power to open. 12v positive is wired direct to the lock, and neg supply is switch via th push button. the time clock open circuits the push neg supply when out of hour (or time set) and closes the circuit to allow push button to work.

So does the NC get used at all in the timer??

I should point out that some locks require power to keep the door locked rather than applying it to open it. In that case it would be used instead of the NO but thats not what we have here so yeah as i said its not used in this case

I should point out that some locks require power to keep the door locked rather than applying it to open it. In that case it would be used instead of the NO but thats not what we have here so yeah as i said its not used in this case

Isnt that what all the locks do anyway? they are kept locked at all times? ( also i live not far from Inverness either :)

You get two types of lock Fail Safe and Fail open. A Fail Safe lock means that if you take the power away it is still in the locked position and requires power to open it. A Fail Open lock will open when you take the power away and requires power to lock it.

And where abouts from Inverness?

Isnt that what all the locks do anyway? they are kept locked at all times? ( also i live not far from Inverness either :)

What he means is that mag locks and the like require constant power to keep the door locked (fail open) and a break in power for it to open. Where the diagram you have shown is for the reverse ie a solenoid type lock that remains in place with no power (fail safe) and opens when the power is applied.

-
You get two types of lock Fail Safe and Fail open. A Fail Safe lock means that if you take the power away it is still in the locked position and requires power to open it. A Fail Open lock will open when you take the power away and requires power to lock it.

I live up near john o groats :) fancy meeting somebody so close on here eh :)

so basically door entry system are quite straight forward are they??, its just i have a job to do, to replace a handset inside a flat, and there a multicore cable going to the phone, i assume it should be straight forward to change yea?

John'O'Groats hardly close lol your like 120 miles or a 2.5hr away I have to go on that Gills bay ferry all the dam time! and when your traveling from Inverness to be on the 9am one its an earlyyy start :)

John'O'Groats hardly close lol your like 120 miles or a 2.5hr away I have to go on that Gills bay ferry all the dam time! and when your traveling from Inverness to be on the 9am one its an earlyyy start :)

Haha closer than some folk on here though :), oh really aye, whats on in Orkney for yourself?

Reply to door entry system?? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net