Discuss Economy 7 set up for an outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jedisparks

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey folks, Just thought I would run this one by before the weekend.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing here but just wanted to check, as I've not carried out this particular alteration before.

Client has a large outbuilding which amoung other things they use as a games room. It is fed by a 50mcb in the house, single phase. They have asked me to fit a couple of storage heaters in there. The building is insulated, there's a 50amp supply so I thought, yeah why not. Obviously we will make sure the E7 tarriff is in place etc.

Ok, so in the outbuilding is an MK insulated consumer board (modern type) which is connected to the standard 24 hour supply. What I'm thinking of doing is feeding another CU off this one, using one of the spare ways. I will take this supply, Live and Neutral (or whatever we are supposed to call'em now, line, live, whatever) through a contactor, probably a 50amp 3phase contactor, but just using two poles. I will control this contactor with a single channel programmer time clock with battery back up. The programmer will be fed from the first CU. (I was thinking instead of a mechanical timer, incase there is a power cut, the client won't have to reset the timer and they will probably forget anyway). So this will feed my new CU where I will just have two or three mcbs feeding storage heaters.

Probably dead simple to most, but when one works on their own it's nice to bouce an idea off someone first.

So, am I on the right track, on a road to nowhere.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading.

Reply to Economy 7 set up for an outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an outbuilding that he uses as an art studio, the building is fully insulated and is currently heated by...
Replies
Views
I've a 3 phase storage heater currently wired to the main fuse box in an office I have. The heater has 2 supplies/isolators, 1 for charging at...
Replies
Views
Hi, So I'm trying to understand what's going on with my off-peak electricity supply, as something's wrong with it and I'm trying to determine if...
Replies
Views
Been round to a house to quote to replace some storage heaters for new panel heaters and came across a strange (to me at least) way of wiring the...
Replies
Views
Long story short im on economy 7 tariff but have 2 types of heaters in my house 1 convector fused socket, 3 storage heaters not fused sockets. So...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock