Discuss ECU Quick Disconnect in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Built a sand rail with the engine and electrical from a 1993 pontiac grand am. Using the stock ecu and installed it in a small pelican gun case for protection. The ecu has 3 connectors with about 30 wires (originally had more, but I simplified the harness and removed systems/wires I don't need). I would like to split the harness just outside the pelican box and splice in one large connector so that i can disconnect the main harness from the harness inside the box with the ecu. This way I can take the pelican box with the ecu out of the rail for anti theft purposes. I don't want to unplug directly from the ecu because I have a cutout for the wires to enter the pelican case but then sealed the cutout to keep water/sand out. Any recommendations for a good solid built connector that can hold 30 pins? Needs to be a quality connector and preferably water proof as it will be exposed to a lot of vibration and the elements.

Something from these folks might be an option:

You could fit a chassis mount connector to the outside of the case, instead of having the wires come out the side.

It sounds like you're heading for a whole heap of reliability/safety issues though. Is this a modification your insurer will need to be aware of?

Something from these folks might be an option:

You could fit a chassis mount connector to the outside of the case, instead of having the wires come out the side.

It sounds like you're heading for a whole heap of reliability/safety issues though. Is this a modification your insurer will need to be aware of?

Its strictly off road on the sand dunes and trails, there is no insurance. Not sure if you’re familiar with sand rails, but they are basically like ATV’s with car power trains. Most have the old rear engine Volkswagen buggy engines, but I put in a more modern engine for the EFI and water cooled application. As for reliability and safety, this is isn’t my first build, I do have experience in this and 20 years no issues. It’s safe, or about as safe as you can get for off-roading purposes. Just tired with dealing with low quality electrical connectors so was looking for recs. Thanks for the reply, I’ll take a look

Its strictly off road on the sand dunes and trails, there is no insurance. Not sure if you’re familiar with sand rails, but they are basically like ATV’s with car power trains. Most have the old rear engine Volkswagen buggy engines, but I put in a more modern engine for the EFI and water cooled application. As for reliability and safety, this is isn’t my first build, I do have experience in this and 20 years no issues. It’s safe, or about as safe as you can get for off-roading purposes. Just tired with dealing with low quality electrical connectors so was looking for recs. Thanks for the reply, I’ll take a look
Aha, I'd missed that and thought it was road going - sounds like a lot of fun!

Another similar, but probably cheaper option:

(note that the pin connectors are purchased separately)

Reply to ECU Quick Disconnect in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net