Discuss EICR pricing and requirements in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been asked to do a EICR for a landlord on his 6 bed house.

My queries are

1. Do I have to be a member of a scheme to do this work? (My understanding is not but I need indemnity insurance)

2. What is the going rate for EICR's in the West Midlands please? And is there a rule of thumb dependant on number of bedrooms or rooms in the house etc?

Thank you

Your profile states your a domestic and commercial electrician. what kind of work do you do? If you are not registered then I suspect you don’t do the larger notifiable jobs In domestic.

I could be wrong.

i you don’t do the notifiable jobs really you need to to have the experience required to inspect domestic properties.

im willing to be corrected on this if I’m wrong.

Thanks for your response Pete..

I have just recently set up my own company and working my way towards getting my NICEIC domestic installer

I have been qualified for 15 years but never worked for myself before. Hope this helps.

have you done any testing .or what type of testing have you done regarding domestic ,and what are will you be charging for the 6 bed room house .
Yes mate - Domestic EICRs and also Electrical installation domestic / commercial

( I have just updated my profile for any further queries regarding my background and experience )

Thanks for your response Pete..

I have just recently set up my own company and working my way towards getting my NICEIC domestic installer

I have been qualified for 15 years but never worked for myself before. Hope this helps.
Yes it does sorry for the third degree, but so many sparks think they can do these EICRs without relevant experience.

basically that’s the requirment. Relevant experience in the type of property your testing. No registration required. Some agencies specify that the sparks are registered but not a legal requirment in EICRs.

cost

minimum £250.

I charge £50 per board plus £25 -£35 per circuit Dependant on size, access, age , condition of property

eg. if property has 2 boards and a total of 12 circuits. From £400 Up...

Yes it does sorry for the third degree, but so many sparks think they can do these EICRs without relevant experience.

basically that’s the requirment. Relevant experience in the type of property your testing. No registration required. Some agencies specify that the sparks are registered but not a legal requirment in EICRs.

cost

minimum £250.

I charge £50 per board plus £25 -£35 per circuit Dependant on size, access, age , condition of property

eg. if property has 2 boards and a total of 12 circuits. From £400 Up...
Fair enough

I know people are getting their landlord certs for £100 for a 3 bed house around here (birmingham)

I was thinking £150 for the 6 bed - Feel I could lose the job at £250

However I like your pricing approach

The house is empty which is a plus but I dont know how many circuits they have

I guess I could just tell him £25 a circuit?

Thank you for your input, appreciate.

Fair enough

I know people are getting their landlord certs for £100 for a 3 bed house around here (birmingham)

With the new regs coming in to force there is a major shortage of sparks doing EICRs. If they turn you don’t the next one won’t.
Do you want 5 days work at £150.
or 3 days work at £250.

Fair enough

I copied Thomas Nagys way £60 per DB £20 per circuit and has worked very well so far. If I were you as it was empty I'd knock a little bit off because you can get round a lot quicker.

Yeah it is with regards to this, competency has noting to do with intelligence its how much you know and understand the subject
So because I didnt know what the current requirements for new tenancies as of June 2020 and existing tenencies as of April 2021 were, this would deem me incompetent to complete an EICR on a domestic dwelling in yours and P/P's opinion?

No you do not need to know anything about the new requirements that is the landlords problem. You are carrying out an EICR and as long as you are competent to do this carry on.

So because I didnt know what the current requirements for new tenancies as of June 2020 and existing tenencies as of April 2021 were, this would deem me incompetent to complete an EICR on a domestic dwelling in yours and P/P's opinion?
It threw up questions, as every electrician in the country is or should be aware of this. And they should know the duration between testing If they are going to carry out EICRs.

basic stuff.

im sorry but there are so many individuals out there doing EICRs who don’t know the basics In EICRs. And the basics include correct coding.

some of the inspectors are perfectly competent electricians, but EICRs are not the same as an EIR. Much more to it then a lot think.

Reply to EICR pricing and requirements in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net