Discuss EICR report on split property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to get an EICR report done on my dad's rental flat. However, there is a possible complication due to the fact it does not have it's own independent electrical supply.
The third floor of his house was split into a separate flat in the 80s - due to the high cost of getting a new supply fitted, it was fed off our existing supply. So the supply to the flat has it's own meter and fuseboard.
Question is - do I need to get an EICR report done on the whole property or can the report be done on the flat in isolation?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Strictly speaking you need to get a report for the property being rented.
A self contained and separate residence in the same building would not need to be done unless there is some shared space or equipment.

However after 40 years, the main residence could do with having a report for your own safety.

You will get a better price if you have them both done at the same time and have some piece of mind.
Recommended repairs for the rental need to be sorted in 28days
Recommend repairs for the non rental property are up to you as to when or if you have them done.

Strictly speaking you need to get a report for the property being rented.
A self contained and separate residence in the same building would not need to be done unless there is some shared space or equipment.

However after 40 years, the main residence could do with having a report for your own safety.

You will get a better price if you have them both done at the same time and have some piece of mind.
Recommended repairs for the rental need to be sorted in 28days
Recommend repairs for the non rental property are up to you as to when or if you have them done.
So the shared electrical supply would then require a report for whole house?

Problem we have is to rewire the house would mean emptying it and losing access for at least 6-8 weeks if we minimise amount of redecoration/etc. My dad is old and ill - moving him out is not an option. I am certain a report on the whole house would fail - the flat would probably pass as electrics were done more recently than the main house. So bit of a dilemma - if we have to get report on whole house then I suspect we would have to stop renting the flat as we cannot re-wire the whole house.

A

What makes you think you need to rewire your house? Get a report done on the flat, but it would need to include the sub main to it in my opinion. That may suffice, but no good having a safe install sat on top of a bad one really.

So the shared electrical supply would then require a report for whole house?

Problem we have is to rewire the house would mean emptying it and losing access for at least 6-8 weeks if we minimise amount of redecoration/etc. My dad is old and ill - moving him out is not an option. I am certain a report on the whole house would fail - the flat would probably pass as electrics were done more recently than the main house. So bit of a dilemma - if we have to get report on whole house then I suspect we would have to stop renting the flat as we cannot re-wire the whole house.

A

I think you mis understood.

I never suggested a rewire, to be clear,
The report MUST include the whole electrical installation IN THE FLAT.

I would say that includes everything up to the origin of supply. (this would normally be the meter, in this case the sub meter)
some shared services might need to be inspected, like earth bonding may be common to both properties.

I suggested that it would be a good idea to get the main house inspected at the same time.
THIS COULD BE A SEPERATE REPORT and as such will not prevent you from renting the flat.
it will flag up any dangerous defects.
If there are dangerous faults with the flat's electrical installation, THEY MUST BE RECTIFIED PROMPTLEY.

If there are faults with the main house that do not affect the safety of the Flat, you can choose to do them later or even not at all
( although i would not recommend leaving and old and vulnerable person with dangerous faults for too long)

The IET seem to include the supply gear in the inspection there is a section to report it in the IET forms, however the IET forms do not include items fixed to building where the government papers do, so there is no clear information as what should and should not be included in the report.

My own property also has a granny flat, all RCBO's for all circuits are in the granny flat, also one meter, one oil supply one boiler, one domestic hot water supply so it would be hard to separate the 4 rooms below the main house from the main house with any report.

So is some one living in the flat a tenant or a lodger? There is a distinction between family member and some one else, however there are a set of codes for an EICR one is LIM which acknowledges the item exists, but puts it outside the limit of the report.

The extent of the inspection and testing will be agreed before the works start, you can agree that the supply is not accessible and not to be included in the report. Not ideal as it is advisable to look at the full installation from the source of supply but not always possible.

The IET seem to include the supply gear in the inspection there is a section to report it in the IET forms, however the IET forms do not include items fixed to building where the government papers do, so there is no clear information as what should and should not be included in the report.

My own property also has a granny flat, all RCBO's for all circuits are in the granny flat, also one meter, one oil supply one boiler, one domestic hot water supply so it would be hard to separate the 4 rooms below the main house from the main house with any report.

So is some one living in the flat a tenant or a lodger? There is a distinction between family member and some one else, however there are a set of codes for an EICR one is LIM which acknowledges the item exists, but puts it outside the limit of the report.
Flat is normally rented out but, because of change of law in October, we need to get the report done if we want to continue renting it. The lack of clarity makes it hard as I have had a number of electricians back away from doing the report, which seems understandable.
Have booked a survey to cost having a new line put in for flat - seems like the easiest way to sort this out. Not the cheapest but probably cheaper than report on whole house and then trying to rectify all the issues! My fear is main house would require complete re-wire which is very destructive.
Thanks for all the help.

Hi - my thought would be EICR on “everything after the Flat’s meter” as the Flat’s electrical installation. The distribution circuit before that point to the cutout then becomes the supply equipment, whether it’s owned by DNO, Supplier or Dad the Building Network Operator.

Reply to EICR report on split property in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net