Discuss EICRs and LANDLORDS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yep it's still the same, I should try something else, but got all my favourites etc set up on my current browser and I can't be a***d to copy them across, so I'll have to put up with it. As I said though, it doesn't happen on a couple of other forums I use with the same format?
You know you can run multiple browsers together they just appear as different symbols on your bar, no need to move anything across ;)

I see they are trying to clampdown on rogue landlords from the piece that was on breakfast news this morning no suggestion that it was electricians who were trying to bring in legislation to throw landlords in jail though !!!. No doubt Merv will help us out with the finer details if his ban isn't permanent

I see they are trying to clampdown on rogue landlords from the piece that was on breakfast news this morning no suggestion that it was electricians who were trying to bring in legislation to throw landlords in jail though !!!. No doubt Merv will help us out with the finer details if his ban isn't permanent

I thought this thread was about computers.

Out of interest why was Merv banned?
He was obviously wrong and everybody disagreed with him, but he was generally polite and apologized a few times when he needed to.
Can you be banned for disagreeing with the wrong people?
Also he was given a last warning then banned before he made another post.

Did he disagree with anything I said?

I don't know Spin but that's not the point

I'm merely asking why he was banned,

I doubt that he disagreed with the person that banned him also as that person only made one post on this thread which was

Too late mate I've just banned him. He had previously been warned.
Followed by a half a dozen likes.

So, he was not abusive or rude, he did not threaten anybody or swear, he was just wrong.

I look forward to seeing a lot more bans in the future as by its very nature, any debate must have one person whose wrong and there are plenty of good debates on this forum.

I don't know Spin but that's not the point

I'm merely asking why he was banned,

I doubt that he disagreed with the person that banned him also as that person only made one post on this thread which was

Followed by a half a dozen likes.

So, he was not abusive or rude, he did not threaten anybody or swear, he was just wrong.

I look forward to seeing a lot more bans in the future as by its very nature, any debate must have one person whose wrong and there are plenty of good debates on this forum.
he was asked to stop by a mod and he ignored it, so he got banned.

the mods here are more forgiving than most and usually will warn someone rather than ban them outright (unless its something serious then imediate ban)

he probably wont be banned permanently just given a little holiday to cool down

IMHO Merv just stepped out of line too many times. His contribution was not appreciated!

Is that official then, he was banned for stepping out of line too many times?

What line? out of line is different to over the line. Out of line does seem to imply that if you disagree with the mods you will be banned.

Is that official then, he was banned for stepping out of line too many times?

What line? out of line is different to over the line. Out of line does seem to imply that if you disagree with the mods you will be banned.

I can speak from experience. My recent holiday was the result of questioning a mods approach!

he was asked to stop by a mod and he ignored it, so he got banned.

the mods here are more forgiving than most and usually will warn someone rather than ban them outright (unless its something serious then imediate ban)

he probably wont be banned permanently just given a little holiday to cool down

He was asked to stop one post then banned in the very next post. He was not given a chance. Hardly fair.

I can speak from experience. My recent holiday was the result of questioning a mods approach!

I don't know the circumstances of your ban Murdoch. If you were rude, insulting foul mouthed or similar then fair enough.
If you just questioned a mod then that's not right.

He was asked to stop one post then banned in the very next post. He was not given a chance. Hardly fair.
andy, you should realise that he will have been warned via pm.

the mods have there own private section where they will have been keeping a close eye on him and will probably have said in there he has been warned (only speculation i don't know hoe the forum is set up)

andy, you should realise that he will have been warned via pm.

the mods have there own private section where they will have been keeping a close eye on him and will probably have said in there he has been warned (only speculation i don't know hoe the forum is set up)

Maybe Shanks, but he was banned publicly, and as I say he had a public warning and never made another post.

Hang on a minute - this Merv fella was constantly casting doubt on our integrity and basically was calling us rip off merchants-any diplomatic and explanatory posts by other members were ignored and he carried on with more of the same rubbish, that's how I saw it anyway. So I think a ban was fully justified.

the thing is mods themselfs answer to the admin aka lenny....

Lenny??? :uhoh2:

People who get banned do so by staff consensus which is reached in staff discussions in a staff-only area of the forum. Staff actions aren't open for discussion in the general forums. Anyone who gets an infraction or gets banned can PM the staff for a private explanation.

His ban was 7 days (I think).

Last edited:
Hang on a minute - this Merv fella was constantly casting doubt on our integrity and basically was calling us rip off merchants-any diplomatic and explanatory posts by other members were ignored and he carried on with more of the same rubbish, that's how I saw it anyway. So I think a ban was fully justified.

I never read that into his posts Dave.
His main line was that he saw EICRS as a money spinner for electricians. He was wrong. He also seemed to have a poor view of electricians, though he never said as much.
You and other's think his posts warrented a ban, I'm not convinced.

Reply to EICRs and LANDLORDS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net