Discuss Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The main question here is: Would they now be cooking tea or dinner on this hob?
That sparksburnout feller is not allowed to answer :)

Dazburnsout

Hmmm debatable, the lid in the closed position is surely the 'fire barrier' - it even has a securing screw ?
If the blank was non-compliant what about the switchgear, that's mostly plastic ?

It's not the material or fire protection I'm on about.
Live parts must only be accessible with the use of a tool or key. These flip out with a finger far too easily leaving a gap bigger than IP2X.
416.2.1 and 416.2.4

I'll go by my Missus (she who must be obeyed) 'What do want for tea love?', we are talking 6.30 (that's 1830hrs). Argument over, as far as I'm concerned. Incidentally, its me that cooks the !?*$@:; dinner, I mean tea.

It's not the material or fire protection I'm on about.
Live parts must only be accessible with the use of a tool or key. These flip out with a finger far too easily leaving a gap bigger than IP2X.
416.2.1 and 416.2.4

Fair point Andy, although if anyone was then daft enough to wiggle a finger through the missing 'blank' hole there's still IP2X protection from the busbar shroud. :)

Fair point Andy, although if anyone was then daft enough to wiggle a finger through the missing 'blank' hole there's still IP2X protection from the busbar shroud. :)

A protruding prong for an MCB to sit on would be accessible.A busbar shroud does not usually provide protection from a finger, even when the prong is sawn off or the busbar trimmed down.
That's my view anyway. I only use din rail mounted blanks.

I'll go by my Missus (she who must be obeyed) 'What do want for tea love?', we are talking 6.30 (that's 1830hrs). Argument over, as far as I'm concerned. Incidentally, its me that cooks the !?*$@:; dinner, I mean tea.
Now we are trespassing into unknown, dangerous lands. When you say "what do you want for Tea (dinner) love?", are you telling us that this is you uttering these words, and not your other half?
If this is the case, I think she might need to look at her job description??

Now we are trespassing into unknown, dangerous lands. When you say "what do you want for Tea (dinner) love?", are you telling us that this is you uttering these words, and not your other half?

Uh oh!
And whilst we are there @Midwest all you seem to do these days are cook and eat. Are you sure you're on the right forum, this isn't "eclecticfoodroom"!
Almost clever but not quite!

Nope she ask me what I want for tea, then I cook it. No confusion ;)

Uh oh!
And whilst we are there @Midwest all you seem to do these days are cook and eat. Are you sure you're on the right forum, this isn't "eclecticfoodroom"!
Almost clever but not quite!

I do a little bit of electrical work, when I'm not doing that, cooking and drinking, excuse me fine wine and dining, damn it beer & tea. :rolleyes:

Hey just an update. The electrician EVENTUALLY came back out.

I spoke to him on the phone and he said again something along the lines of 'if the hob doesn't work it must be faulty. It sent my wiring but I'll come have a look anyway'.

Then he didn't turn up when he said he was going to and pretended he had never agreed to come on that day.
Then he eventually arrived and took a look in the consumer unit, looked puzzled for a few seconds before this conversation happened

Him: yeah it's all right. Just how it's supposed to be
Me: but it doesn't work
Him: it won't do. I've put the neutral in the 6amp breaker and the live in the 32amp.
Me: so it isn't right then
Him: of course it's right, that's how I always do it so that you can't get electrocuted by the bare wires before you install the hob. I told you I was coming back to change it over when the hob got installed.
Me: no you didn't, if you knew it was that then you would have said on the phone, you wouldn't have said the hob was faulty if you knew you had wired it like this and it couldn't possibly work.
Him: I never said that. This is how you're supposed to do it.

Then he moved the neutral from one breaker to the other. Without switching either off by the way. Is that safe? And instantly the hob beeped in the kitchen and sprung into life.

So now I have one happy hob and an electrician who is a clear liar.

Out of interest is he right? Is it normal to connect the live to 32amp and neutral to 6amp temporarily for a week until the hob is installed?

And as for you lot when don't know your dinner from your tea. I had my dinner a few hours ago and my tea is in the oven now. I had to clear that up :)

Reply to Electric touch hob not coming on (plus consumer unit issue) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net