Discuss ELECTRICAL REPORT ADVICE in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

sksikka

DIY
Reaction score
I have received an unsatisfactory EICR report (with 12 nos C2 and 1 F1 code) and not sure should I get it done again by somebody else to get second opinion.

Any advice (i.e. cost and genuine faults needs rectification) on that will be greatly appreciable.

Poor condition of wiring, greening of cables in C/U and multiple socket outlets. No earth bonding to gas and water present. No CPC to multiple lighting points. Neutral conductor for ring final circuit has no continuity of conductors.

16 Compatibility of protective devices, bases and other components; correct type and rating (No signs of unacceptable thermal damage, arcing or overheating) (411.3.2; 411.4; 411.5; 411.6; section 432.433) - C2

17 Meter tails - F1

19 Confirmation of earthing conductor size (542.3; 543.1.1) - C2

20 Condition and accessibility of main protective bonding conductor/connections (543.3.2; 544.1.2) - C2

23 Presence and adequacy of circuit protective conductors (433.3.1; Section 543) - C2

25 Concealed cables installed in prescribed zones (see Section D. Extent and limitations) (522.6.202) - C2

26 for all socket-outlets of rating 32 A or less, unless an exception is permitted (411.3.3) - C2

27 for cables concealed in walls at a depth of less than 50 mm (522.6.202; 522.6.203) - C2

28 for cables concealed in walls/partitions containing metal parts regardless of depth (522.6.203) - C2

29 Provision of fire barriers, sealing arrangements and protection against thermal effects (Section 527) - C2

30 Connections soundly made and under no undue strain (526.6) - C2

31 No basic insulation of a conductor visible outside enclosure (526.8) - C2

33 Presence of supplementary bonding conductors, unless not required by BS 7671:2018 (701.415.2) - C2

Read more: EICR Report Advice - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/eicr-report-advice.581701/#ixzz7CxySIZ36

As well as a copy of the redacted report, can you also post a couple of photos of your incoming mains supply / meter / consumer unit (fuse box) so folks can get a better idea of what some points might be relating to. Don't remove any covers, just photos of the outside and of any circuit breakers (might need to lift the lid that normally covers them).

Can you provide pictures of your exiting consumer unit, meter and suppliers equipment?

On face value it seems like a lot but several of those could be lumped together due to lack of RCD protection.

looks a load of crap just from the post. several C2s should be only C3s, and FI for meter tails.???????? has the muppet not been to specsavers??? you see them, you code them.

Problem is assuming the Report quotes as such is that most of it is meaningless, it just quotes non descriptive statements from BS7671.

As well as a copy of the redacted report, can you also post a couple of photos of your incoming mains supply / meter / consumer unit (fuse box) so folks can get a better idea of what some points might be relating to. Don't remove any covers, just photos of the outside and of any circuit breakers (might need to lift the lid that normally covers them).
See attached images and report.

And being quoted a price of £700 which looks to me a rip off.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 1.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Report.pdf
    955.3 KB · Views: 18
And being quoted a price of £700 which looks to me a rip off.

looks like dustydazzler's expanding his area. ???

This is one of the hardest ones I've ever seen on here to actually make any useful comment on.
There's such a sea of noise on the schedule it's hard to know where to start.
So just talking generally:
There are certainly mistakes on it (e.g.see the test instruments details)
There are concerns from the test results that aren't mentioned, e.g. the sockets circuit appears to have a broken Neutral, and two of the IR results are concerning.
There are observations that don't make immediate sense from the results (e.g. presence and adequacy of CPCs, but all circuits have an acceptable R1+R2 or R2 reading)
There are far too many C3's and pointless observations with no detail to clarify what they mean. In theory this document should be able to be passed to another sparks to do remedial works. If someone gave me that I'd have to start again with my own inspection.
The certificate number gives us an idea how long the person has been registered with Napit (not long) and how many EICR's they have done (not many)

The top concerns for me are the apparent lack of bonding to services, and two things that aren't actually specifically mentioned - the potentially broken Neutral on the sockets circuit and two very low IR readings, below the already low 1 Mohm pass mark.
If it were my house I'd be changing the consumer unit to add RCD protection too.

I'm afraid I'd probably start again with another report from someone else.

I'm with @timhoward on this one, there's a lot of issues there but they're all pretty much the same things just repeated several times.

If you lets us know you're rough location possibly a forum member might be nearby for a second opinion.

It is not my usual line of work, but I agree it looks like the report is not terribly well done and what is flagged as serious might be missing things.

Those fuse boxes would typically date the installation to the 70s at newest, so really it is 40+ years old. However, they are not in themselves bad or non-compliant, just they lack RCD protection which can be a serious risk for some cases (e.g. outdoor sockets, or bathrooms without adequate supplementary bonding).

The measured leakage resistances are the most worrying to me, but they could turn out to be easy fixes. For example, I have seen low values on socket circuits with some RCD socket outlets dedicated to outdoor (or likely outdoor) locations. Lights could be low due to some outdoor light with water in it, etc. Those really do need to be investigated and fixed.

It would also be worth considering a replacement CU (consumer unit = fuse box) that has RCD protection and can easily be reset from a fault, unlike the current one when you have to rewire the fuse if it blows (often in the dark, as Murphy dictates).

Here is a good free guide to EICR issues, the Best Practice Guide #4 from here:

But the above suggestion of looking for someone on this forum is a very sound one. In terms of prices £700 for a CU replacement and fixing a few faults is not unreasonable, but it depends on your area, up here for such a small board I would expect a bit less, in London and south-east possibly more!

The profile says Reading btw.
(There have a few occasions where I've wished for a pin-map of arms members....and wondered if there is a way I'm missing to find people by area on here.)

There are two ways of looking at this report - from a high-level perspective it highlights that at least one circuit fails its disconnect time - so C2 looks correct, there is no bonding in the bathroom, nor RCD protection, nor CPC in the lighting, therefore a C2 for this would be appropriate. On these two issues alone it indicates the installation is not satisfactory and something needs to be done.

However, although the inspector has identified something needs to be done, it should be you that decides what is to be done, you could have a single upfront RCD fitted along with a few other minor fixes, it would be compliant, but wholly unsuitable, you could have a board change, or perhaps look at the installation overall and realise that it really ought to be modernised both in terms of electrical standards, but also usability for modern living. This could mean a full or partial rewire may be the overall better choice - for example fit a new circuit for the kitchen sockets, modern kitchens usually have more than a toaster and kettle (as was the case when this was installed).

Basically it should open up a dialogue between you and a number of electricians to decide what is best for you, your circumstances, and the future.

From another perspective this report could be considered poor! To me it looks like the inspector realised it needs something to be done (due to the above), so has "over-egged the cake" so as to speak, and found many borderline C2/C3 issues and put them in the C2 category, as it looks more urgent and essential to the homeowner.

As such; little care appears to have been exercised in the detail of this report, which to other electricians rings alarm bells!

However, there is no doubt, your installation needs to be updated in some way irrespective of the detail of this report; personally I would not get a second opinion - you know it needs addressing already.

In your situation I would think about what I want from the electrical system - I could do with more sockets in the Kitchen, perhaps an outside one for mowing the lawn, USB sockets in the bedrooms in more convenient places etc etc. Then get a couple of electricians in to quote for your needs and address the issues you have.

I would suggest looking for someone on this forum as they tend to be the more conscientious ones, many electricians like other trades and employees have no interest other than making as much money in their boring day-job as they can.

Last edited:

Reply to ELECTRICAL REPORT ADVICE in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net