Discuss EV charging in a dwelling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

VWWM 1

-
Reaction score
Hi
A client wants a EV type 2 charger but she lives in a end of terrace. There is a pathway in front of her house and a front garden but no driveway yet. Can she have one installed?
No Olev grant but I thought you couldn’t if they didn’t have a car driveway to stop a possible trailing lead.
thanks

You can't trail leads acrosss a footpath, not even under a cable protector.

And if you want the Legislation this is it;
Under the Highways Act 1980, Part IX Lawful and Unlawful
Interference with Highways and Streets, it is illegal for
any person to place or run a cable or wire along or across
a public highway.

Last edited:
You can't trail leads acrosss a footpath, not even under a cable protector.

And if you want the Legislation this is it;
Under the Highways Act 1980, Part IX Lawful and Unlawful
Interference with Highways and Streets, it is illegal for
any person to place or run a cable or wire along or across
a public highway.
Thanks
The actual road is 10 m away but there is a small grass area that has a path running along to the house and then they each have a path off that to their properties. And there is a path to her side entrance leading to the back garden.
She might have a drive in the future where the front garden is.
I can’t see it though as this public green area sits in front?
Unless she plans on driving up and every day over the area close to her house?
But it’s not at the moment an actual drive.
And you can’t have ext leads so I don’t think she can have one.

I wonder if a pedestal-type charger could be installed by the roadside, with some security to not allow others to use I guess, Of course they would have to own the land or have permission from the landowner not only for where the pedestal will be but also the buried cable root,

EVs seem to be presenting some challenges be it the location of the charge point at your address (flats, houses without driveways etc) or the use of TN earths

Hopefully once most cars on the road are EVs, we will have "petrol stations" in which you can swap out you battery pack in some way for an instant full charge, or a very very quick charger that takes a similar amount of time as filling with petrol

If she is going to have a driveway at some point then its a case of getting power from house to drive. if the garden is hers and the pathway comes with access rights. I would look into the potential to run a suitably buried SWA cable to the garden/future drive.

Hopefully once most cars on the road are EVs, we will have "petrol stations" in which you can swap out you battery pack in some way for an instant full charge,
Don't hold your breath - unless they get orders of magnitude improvements in power density so that batteries get a lot lot smaller, they are always going to be packaged differently from one car to another as their shape and location is so dependent on the styling of the car, and vice-versa.

or a very very quick charger that takes a similar amount of time as filling with petrol
Again, watch you don't go blue in the face ?. A petrol/diesel pump is an approximately 35-40MW appliance. Pick any realistic figure you like for how much more efficient EVs are, even a small filling station is going to be a real challenge to replace with one that delivers electrical power at tank-filling rates.

Don't hold your breath - unless they get orders of magnitude improvements in power density so that batteries get a lot lot smaller, they are always going to be packaged differently from one car to another as their shape and location is so dependent on the styling of the car, and vice-versa.
indeed, just like the tesla battery being basically the floor and it would require all the manufacturer to work together, probably wont happen

35-40MW appliance.
Wow that is alot of juice

Where's Duracell in all of this ?
Back in the day, the milk floats had standard type batteries albeit they were slow. I wonder, if we ditched current fast EVs for battery milk floats, slowly get around. No speed restrictions because you can't, encourage faster transport like err..fast cyclists, tools in the back along with the odd hitch hiker...everyone would be more relaxed....and electricians would not be expected yesterday but planned in for a change..& charge customers for travelling = more happy green people.
Sorry... back to the OP

What about a boom arm attached to the houses ?????

What about a boom arm attached to the houses ?????
Good idea... I think there'll be lots of things that we'll see over time. Anything to do with government or councils moves very verrrry.... slooooooowwwllllyy.

We still have vast housing estates being granted planning permission that have zero provision for car charging ! We still have building regs with woefully low thermal insulation levels, woefully low sound insulation levels and developers who are permitted to self certify the garbage they're building ! This has been going on for years and years and years.... And these things are the 'easy-to-fix' ones !

I did not see them take anything out and put anything different in, just lifted the car and put something underneath it and then lowered it again, not very convincing IMO.

I did not see them take anything out and put anything different in, just lifted the car and put something underneath it and then lowered it again, not very convincing IMO.

From 2009, ultimately the company went bankrupt but the logistics were there, unfortunately for them; that uptake from manufacturers wasn't.

Reply to EV charging in a dwelling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net