Discuss Fast Track Training - yes or no? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

ferdinand

Hi everyone. I have recently been made redundant and have, for a while before that, thought of learning a skilled trade. However, having a young family does not give me time to do 2 year college course or low paid training on the job. Also, I don't believe the current economic climate would allow many contractors to take one new unskilled staff and train them up. Sooooooooo ...... I have been looking at various fast track courses - the one that stands out is RF training - this is 7 weeks long and has no distance learning - all onsite with tutor and assessed by C&G etc. This course is very expensive (nearly 6K) but includes kit and Megger in price as well as free resit if needed. They have 100% pass rate and this includes 17 edition Regs, Part P full scope, C&G 2392 and LOGIC testing/inspection award. They are so confident they even told me to bring along any electrical contractors I know for a day so they can show them how well the course is done ....

Is this REALLY possible? I don't doubt I can pass the various parts of the course but I will still need experience as well won't I? No one would employ me with JUST the certificates? Confidence in my ability will only come with on-the-job experience also. So is this a waste of money? would any contractor let me work for them for next to nothing, just to gain my confidence - or would they presume I was after their customers? Does the profession look down on these sort of courses as a sort of 'cheats' way into the trade? I know 3 electrical contractors and I am doing a bit of research and just trying to gauge opinion.
Any sort of advice is welcome!

Cheers.

"'....and this includes 17 edition Regs, Part P full scope, C&G 2392 and LOGIC testing/inspection award. "

Six grands are waaaay to expensive for these.

17edition is only a 100 pounds exam if you prepare yourself for it.
2392 is just half way to 2391. In other words it is almost like nothing. All employers will look for 2391.
Part P is a one day assessment, it is not a qualification.

You will still miss these: 2330. 2391 and if you want to earn good money than NVQ level 3 and AM2 for JIB card.

If you want to get qualified do it in a proper way. 2330 -> 17edition -> 2391 -> AM2 = JIB installation electrician (aprooved after 2 years). This will be much longer than 6-7 weeks but this is the proper way.

Cheers for the help, - I'm trying to cut through all the obvious sales talk that come with these courses and to be honest I'm not sure I trust them - I can't imagine you can be a spark after 7 weeks! So really, unless I can find someone to take me on as a trainee, it's a waste of money.

I would love to say yes fast track the training ,but unless you have a photographic memory then na every one in the outside world thinks electrics is just connectiong a few wire together ,nope it can get very complex , its taken me years to get to the knowlage and experiance that i have keeping up to date ,and even now ive not even touched the base of whats out there ,thats why this forum is so good its a black hole of information with the likes of sintra lenny phil and all the guys that contribute , i do wish you well and hope that you get the quallies i will say go for it we all have to start some where

Last edited by a moderator:
To quote an old guy working on a site I was on a number of years ago

Reading the Kama Sutra is one thing but putting the theory into practice is another game entirely

I think it sums up these fast track courses very well

Without the internet and forums like these I think the fast track course would be dead in the water

Cheers chaps.

You seem to be confirming my concerns. I'd hate to do an course and then struggle to get any experience and end up forgetting everything before I had chance to use it. I'd only take a course if I can find someone who can give me some experience once I've done the course. I do honestly believe there is no substitue for experience, so I'm thinking do a course to give me a basic knowledge and then get experience/training on the job if it can be done.

BUT obviously the current climate is a nightmare so people are less inclined to spend time/effort/money on training someone up. But one chap I know says there's tons of work out there and another says there's none?????

I've been labouring for kitchen fitters since I lost my job so I'm happy to start at the bottom!

Thanks for your advice.

Always a bit dubious of these fast track things...I saw one the other day reckoning to make you a qualified Elec in 70 days!!!!!!When I was a lad and serving my time I did 24 weeks solid in my first year at college ( 3 blocks of eight) to get my 236 pt 1...then 22 weeks second year for part 2...all the time not at college was at work....9 hours per week for the next 2 years to get Part 3 ( ONC) then same again for HNC.......70 days...pah!!!!!:D:D:D

pah! indeed. :0)

That's what I'm on about - HOW can it be possible?

I think if I accept the course as just a quick way to get a basic knowledge to save an experienced guy a bit of time when training me and as a stepping stone to getting a place as a mate for someone that's okay - But I think I'd be a bit of a mug to believe the hype from the course tutors - apparently 85% of people who complete the course go self employed straight away on leaving *GULP* reeeeaaaallly????????

70 days could give you a basic grounding in domestic electrics and if your naturally good at handling tools could see you in good stead for a future as an electrician....I am well qualified and have 25yrs under my belt but everyday I browse on this forum I always pick something up from the guys on here...........start off with the basic NVQs and work at it bit by bit....the most important thing IMO is to get hooked up with a good sparky who will show you the real stuff....Good Luck buddy!

Reply to Fast Track Training - yes or no? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net