Discuss Fault find on ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jabbajaws

Hi, ive had a phone from a disabled gentleman today, who explained to me that he had plugged his microwave into his kitchen socket and BANG! the lot went off.

He says that the only place that there seems to be a problem is the kitchen area. The lounge is still on and no power circuits are working at all in the kitchen area. Everywhere else, he says, the circuits are working as normal.

He has had a friend have a look and has 'exchanged' the breaker for one of the same type, from another circuit on the same CU.

Now this info has been given to me over the phone by a customer, so l cannot verify that everything he says is correct, until l get there and check it on Saturday.

What confuses me slightly is that he says that the kitchen is a ring circuit and that no other sockets are working and that he has had to run extensions from the other room.

Now surely if the microwave has damaged the socket which he has plugged it into, and if his info is correct, then that would have split the ring possibly into 2 radials and the rest should have power supplied to them.

Calling all veterans, is there anything that l should be aware of, that a DIY-er could possibly have done that would cause this to happen?

Im worried that with him being disabled that he has had friends' performing work or doing things for him in his house.

I cant think of a reason personally for the other kitchen sockets to be off (unless he has got his explanation totally wrong).

I don't see how plugging in a faulty appliance or a damaged socket could have split a ring into 2 radials mate and the simple fact that he's disabled doesn't make it any more likely that DIY Dave has been round although the bit about swapping an MCB does seem to suggest that's likely.
The socket could be damaged and that's what has caused the circuit to bang. No real way of knowing till you get there really.

never believe what a customer says. he is usually 1. misguided, or 2. lying. go to the job with an open mind. first check for signs of his friend bodging, then trace the problem logically.

I am a little confused with your queerie

He may just have a separate kitchen ring

Well Des im totally confused with what he said over the phone. It sounds like the kitchen is on its own ring from what he was saying but l cant really expect him to know that. It sounds like the socket has exploded, though again l cant verify that until l get there.

never believe what a customer says. he is usually 1. misguided, or 2. lying. go to the job with an open mind. first check for signs of his friend bodging, then trace the problem logically.

Thanks Teletrix, the voice of experience as usual. I still consider myself a novice at this as l only work part time at moment and appreciate any advice l can get...

Straightforward problems and causes can become very complicated when described over the phone by non electrically minded folk

Take what is said with a pinch of salt and please let us know what was the outcome

Having the kitchen on a ring is not unheard of.
After all most large appliances are found in the kitchen!
Why has someone changed the breaker?
From my experiences of these sort of things regarding kitchens they have usually either overloaded the circuit or got water on a socket and blown it.
Has he tried unplugging all appliances and resetting the breaker?
If so then you know the problem is with the circuit and not his appliances.

Reply to Fault find on ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net