Discuss fire alarm 230v supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't get why the supply to the fire panel has to be fire rated when the fire panel itsef is fire rated with battery backup??? The most likely point in a property for a fire is the main distribution point (DB) which won't be fire rated, nor will the MCB protecting the fire rated supply cable???

I have a working knowledge of, but steer well clear of installing or maintaining fire systems, still, it makes no sense why it would be a regulation to use fire rated cable to supply the main fire panel. Can anyone quote a specific reg no? I'm happy to eat humble pie if wrong, but I highly suspect that this is another one of those myths!

The only reason I mentioned the use of fire rated cable as mains, is because I did a quick search on here and this is what the more learned guys that work on fire panels day in day out said. They also said the reg no. but I couldnt remember it. I have never even seen the regs book for fire installs but if the OP had of done a quick search like I did, he would of found his answer and saved time. I also dont do much with fire panels, although I have done bits and bats whilst subbying and I was always told to install FP for the supply to the panel.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that if there was a fire in the intake room, that fire rated cable to the panel counts for diddly squat. Silly reg IMHO.

Don't get why the supply to the fire panel has to be fire rated when the fire panel itsef is fire rated with battery backup???!

Say joe public comes in and decides to fire you an alarm panel + system in, happy days. Joe public wires the main in t&e, clips onto joists or similar with t&e clips. Fire starts where the main runs to the panel. False ceiling comes down, cable melts, posing risk to people escaping. Thats how i see it anyhow.

On the other hand, if your a plumber, you wire it to flex and stick a plug on the end according to BS5839:plumbers

Last edited by a moderator:
It is quite a simple BS reg. all supplies to fire alarm equipment must be installed in Enhanced cable...this can be FP100 singles...FP200 Enhanced cable...Pyro or swa....all are compliant. They must feed an lockable double poled switched fused spur adjacent to the fire fire control panel. The idea is to give the best possible time period before distruction of the the supply in the event of a fire condition.

I think most people just use 1.5 fp anyway as you are wiring the system with it and makes sense, although it has battery back up So should carry on functioning unless they're knackered....suppose it's an arse covering measure and common sense if there is any left in the world

Reply to fire alarm 230v supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net