Discuss First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

google safe isolation procedures, print it out and pin on your boss's forehead, ohh and read it yourself before you go to work tomoz:nuke:

Am I supposed to refuse to work then when the main guy says hold the connector block....genuine question
Yes! When there is a means of isolation then it should be used unless there are incredibly good reason not to. The store owner not wanting the place dark is not a good reason.
How would he/she/the company have reacted if you had been blown off whatever you were standing on and injured yourself or been killed? With the HSE crawling all over them and your employer that excuse would not wash.
Get your gaffer to rig some temporary lighting so that you get to go home at the end of the day, not to a hospital or mortuary. You're a trainee, you probably don't want to question your employer or rock the boat by going against what those above you in the food chain say but for your own sake mate tell this clown that what he's asking you to do is dangerous

google safe isolation procedures, print it out and pin on your boss's forehead, ohh and read it yourself before you go to work tomoz:nuke:

You are making it like I went into work today and thought fuk it I'll work live

That site didn't want the lights out

Boss said if taking conductors out .kill it

But just putting a connector block in a choc block is fine

My years experience .over his 12 or so...I usually listen to him

Yes! When there is a means of isolation then it should be used unless there are incredibly good reason not to. The store owner not wanting the place dark is not a good reason.
How would he/she/the company have reacted if you had been blown off whatever you were standing on and injured yourself or been killed? With the HSE crawling all over them and your employer that excuse would not wash.
Get your gaffer to rig some temporary lighting so that you get to go home at the end of the day, not to a hospital or mortuary. You're a trainee, you probably don't want to question your employer or rock the boat by going against what those above you in the food chain say but for your own sake mate tell this clown that what he's asking you to do is dangerous

Thank you very much trev..I don't want to lose this job or opportunity and I do believe stuff he says...why would I question him when I have so much less experience

I only wanted help and advice..not a roasting......I got that earlier

He is just cutting corners to make more money, I have about 40 years experience matey and I wouldn't tell any trainee/apprentice to work live, just suppose you were killed? I bet he wouldn't "I told to make sure he isolated the supply" now would he? but he would be deep in the brown stuff if you were injured in any way, yes most Sparks get a belt, usually through stupidity, take it from me you have been lucky, check out the google thing I sent you and have a butchers at some of the electrical accidents on youtube,

Thank you very much trev..I don't want to lose this job or opportunity and I do believe stuff he says...why would I question him when I have so much less experience

Any roasting you get here will be done from concern mate. I don't think anyone is having a go at you as such.
As far as I'm concerned you've been asked to do something which a trainee at your level should never ever be asked to do.
I've got a first year apprentice with me at the moment and I wouldn't dream of asking him to work live.

He's a clown not you Trev the muppet telling the OP to hold the connector it's OK, Jesus

One of the most dangerous places to get a belt is on steps or ladder , also you say an RCD was in place , well if it did operate you were lucky , if you got a belt between L & N and you're on insulated steps , the RCD would probably have never operated , the message is clear son ,DONT work live and test first before you start work ..

If you don't want to rock the boat the HSE have a 24 hour line you can ring and you can talk to someone about your concerns, if they think they're valid then they'll visit the site and if necessary someone will get their arse handed to them on a silver plate.
I did it about 10 years ago when there was asbestos being stripped on a site I was working on, I thought it was a bit dodgy so rang them, they "happened to be passing" the following day and "noticed the stripping" going on and "decided to inspect the methods, risk assessments etc.

I think we have established that you and your supervisor were in the wrong to be working on a live circuit.

If the owner of the shop does not want the lights off for you to work then the sensible solution is to arrange to do the job outside of trading hours, a couple of overnighters is a lot better than putting your life on the line!

Now the question is what are you going to do next? Your life has been placed at risk by your employer, you need to put this in the companies accident book and report this dangerous incident to the HSE.

One of the most dangerous places to get a belt is on steps or ladder , also you say an RCD was in place , well if it did operate you were lucky , if you got a belt between L & N and you're on insulated steps , the RCD would probably have never operated , the message is clear son ,DONT work live and test first before you start work ..

Don't know what it was between but yes the rcd kicked in and I was up ladders...I'll refuse it tomorrow if I have too
I'd rather miss out on the rest of the job than be Brown bread

I hope you put that little tingle in the accident book.;) Next time your in doubt about health and safety just ask your boss to see the risk assessment, method statement and permit to work. At the very least it will make him sweat a bit.:biggrin:

I've had three p!$$3r5 (sorry mods but wanted to use the correct term....) in my time.

all three were working alone, and I was RUSHING.

silly man, but still here to learn (maybe? 4th time might get me) from it.

Have a look in BGB Part 2 Definitions.

Instructed Person. A person ADEQUATELY ADVISED OR SUPERVISED BY SKILLED PERSONS to enable him or her TO AVOID THE DANGERS WHICH ELECTRICITY MAY CREATE.

I'm not saying you should know this yet mate but the muppet you work for should!!

Don't have the BGB.. first year so was Told I don't need it yet. And again I listened to someone because if I don't how do I learn...I've got to believe what a time served spark says..why would I not...they should know best...if all else fails I come on here and get my --- handed to me haha jk :)

Sod the BGB, it's the EAWR which is actually law and is relevant here.

Yes l agree with you entirely but my point is that his boss should be teaching safe working practices and the OP should be advised and supervised not just told to get on with it.

I thought he might need to know that.

working live is fine as long as you take certain precautions, first only use vde screwdrivers, hold things with vde pliers/long nose pliers.

yes it will take longer but its safer.

never put hands on chockblock etc with live cables, the cables can fall out sometimes if they didnt bite properly

Got 2 sets of vde hand tools and I'll hold my hand up..I had vde long noise pliers in my pocket when it happened...but I was told touching the plastic Is safe..like a plonker I believed it..like I said I'd been working since 8am and must of put 15 connectors in blocks using my hands only touching the plastic

But I'm not thick..message received ppl

Reply to First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net