Discuss First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

working live is fine as long as you take certain precautions, first only use vde screwdrivers, hold things with vde pliers/long nose pliers.

yes it will take longer but its safer.

never put hands on chockblock etc with live cables, the cables can fall out sometimes if they didnt bite properly

Don't forget the rubbers, if you must.!! lol

Don't have the BGB.. first year so was Told I don't need it yet.
You don't need one of the principal sources of reference for your trade? Why ever not? I got my first copy of the regs when I was 8.

I won't give you any agro about the live working thing, it's been covered already! But then, think ahead... even if you've been told that touching the plastic is 'safe' (it's not, it's only single insulation) why would you not expect to find a loose cable that popped out and touched you, or cause an arc that burned or blinded you? Nothing's infallible, especially other sparks' work!

PS the plastic housing is called a Choc Box, not chock blocks, That's slang for terminal block itself.

working live is fine as long as you take certain precautions, first only use vde screwdrivers, hold things with vde pliers/long nose pliers.

yes it will take longer but its

There's a lot more to it than just using insulated tools!

First and foremost is that it is a last resort if there is no other option.

Inconvenience, not wanting to work late, the boss putting pressure on you, you can't be bothered to walk all the way to the DB and back or anything like that are not good reasons!

Don't have the BGB.. first year so was Told I don't need it yet. And again I listened to someone because if I don't how do I learn...I've got to believe what a time served spark says..why would I not...they should know best...if all else fails I come on here and get my --- handed to me haha jk :)

Yes you have to listen to your mentor, but you have to use your own brain too. You are not a sheep, you don't have to blindly and unthinkingly follow your leader!

There's a lot more to it than just using insulated tools!

First and foremost is that it is a last resort if there is no other option.

Inconvenience, not wanting to work late, the boss putting pressure on you, you can't be bothered to walk all the way to the DB and back or anything like that are not good reasons!

Or rushing because its beer o'clock:nono:

Got 2 sets of vde hand tools and I'll hold my hand up..I had vde long noise pliers in my pocket when it happened...but I was told touching the plastic Is safe..like a plonker I believed it..like I said I'd been working since 8am and must of put 15 connectors in blocks using my hands only touching the plastic

But I'm not thick..message received ppl

just take it as lesson and try not to do it again. it happened to most sparks i know, me aswell.

I would ensure the guy your working with carries out a proper risk assessment before starting work, this would have to be done before any live working is even considered. this would also lead into the safe isolation as well ,and be for your own personal safety ,,,

yes it will take longer but its safer.

never put hands on chockblock etc with live cables, the cables can fall out sometimes if they didnt bite properly

The certain precaution would be???? switching off, locking off and testing with an approved voltage indicator as per the ESC guidance wouldn't it. VDE screwdrivers my backside, this is a young Lad starting out on his chosen career and your saying it's OK to work live, get real Shanky

The certain precaution would be???? switching off, locking off and testing with an approved voltage indicator as per the ESC guidance wouldn't it. VDE screwdrivers my backside, this is a young Lad starting out on his chosen career and your saying it's OK to work live, get real Shanky

real? there are times when you cannot turn the power off, it is best practise to not touch copper unless you know its not connected to anything.

if you are working in a control panel you cant just turn them off because it can cause very bad consequences.
we work in hospitals/ metal wards etc and there not places that can be done out of hours

Chris I took to you the 1st time you posted and we have spoken away from the main forum in the past, so It winds me up that you are falling for what this ar$ehole is asking you to do, he knows it is wrong, but more importantly you know it is wrong!!
I know it is hard to stand up to someone who is giving you a chance, but that does not give him the right to put your life at risk!!
Let me know where your working and i will happily pop down and attach said conductors to his Nut's and see how long he can stay on the ladder. You know you can get in touch away from here if you need any advice.
Let this be a lesson now shut up moaning and get the Beer's in.

Thank you very much trev..I don't want to lose this job or opportunity and I do believe stuff he says...why would I question him when I have so much less experience

I only wanted help and advice..not a roasting......I got that earlier

Better than loosing your life !!!!!!!!!!

I had a sparks and his lad turn up on a job I was on to help out , as the job they went to had blown out , this was back in the 80s , it was remedialls following a periodic , I said to hem you might as well get on with the grommets and sleeving the earth wires on the sockets , I was working on the lighting , I turned my back for one minute and they were only going to do it with sockets still live , I stopped them right away and the sparks said Oh its all right its only the earth wires were touching ,, I couldn't believe it , I had to explain to them that the earth wire has to be considered as a live part also if the circuit is live and that the sockets should be isolated before they start work ,,,and to think he had a lad with him as well ,,,, the lad I had with me couldn't believe it also .

Chris I took to you the 1st time you posted and we have spoken away from the main forum in the past, so It winds me up that you are falling for what this ar$ehole is asking you to do, he knows it is wrong, but more importantly you know it is wrong!!
I know it is hard to stand up to someone who is giving you a chance, but that does not give him the right to put your life at risk!!
Let me know where your working and i will happily pop down and attach said conductors to his Nut's and see how long he can stay on the ladder. You know you can get in touch away from here if you need any advice.

You'll be getting a room next GMES. Seriously, your gaffer needs a reminder how dangerous working live can be. If he tells you to do it again tell him to shove it. You can't learn if your dead can you.

the voice of reason..... from a bloody gorilla who's fur is about as conductive as wood. :21:

just take it as lesson and try not to do it again. it happened to most sparks i know, me aswell.

Every spark I've met so far said it's happened to them..some numerous times..I wasn't expecting the response I got..thought I'd get maybe...it could of been that..or this etc..I know all about safe isolation and if it's my job I'd have the lights off..it's not my job so..... anyway..I appreciate all that advice
I think it's quite easy for a qualified spark to say I should do this or that but when I tried a year to get employed and now finally are..and getting put through an apprenticeship too...I don't want to do anything to mess it up

###It doesnt matter where you work power can always be isolated, ive worked i hospitals even to the operating theaters it can always be isolated its just a matter of communication and planning , if you are doing as I have read you are, then why dont you load a gun with a bullet and keep pulling the trigger every day because one day it will go off as with electric one day it will get you,I hate to be abrupt but I would also hate to read of a spark being electrocuted due to lack of safe isolation caused by lack of communication and common sense

Fair enough Glenn and tomorrow it won't be happening again....I can't think everything I'm being taught is wrong...can I?
Get the beers in..I'm on the vodka redbull after today ha..only a few...work tomorrow and all :)

We've all had shocks by working live *tin hat on* but it boils down to the fact that you should not be taught incorrectly and dangerously. You could kill yourself and others by working live. Show this thread to your boss if he thinks its ok to work live

###It doesnt matter where you work power can always be isolated, ive worked i hospitals even to the operating theaters it can always be isolated its just a matter of communication and planning , if you are doing as I have read you are, then why dont you load a gun with a bullet and keep pulling the trigger every day because one day it will go off as with electric one day it will get you,I hate to be abrupt but I would also hate to read of a spark being electrocuted due to lack of safe isolation caused by lack of communication and common sense

Nah I know .point taken Nick and tomorrow when I'm continuing where I left off..the circuit will be dead..they will just have to live with it

Reply to First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net