Discuss First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've now got a video running in my imagination of you getting blown off the steps and landing on some old granny while the shopkeeper moans about light levels.
Hopefully that will never happen:)

I just don't know what sort of guy would put a lad at risk , Its all well and good putting yourself at risk , even thats wrong , but a lad who doesn't have the experience , to send him up there and start messing with live circuits is to me beyond comprehension , I would sooner put myself at risk than the lads , I wonder what sort of guy this is ..

I just don't know what sort of guy would put a lad at risk , Its all well and good putting yourself at risk , even thats wrong , but a lad who doesn't have the experience , to send him up there and start messing with live circuits is to me beyond comprehension , I would sooner put myself at risk than the lads , I wonder what sort of guy this is ..

acording to the post they mentioned they were supposed to put a chockbox over the connector so shouldn't have needed to touch it anyway ( personally I always wrap connector in a bit of tape, cover any copper/screws, or you can get a shock if it touches anything)

acording to the post they mentioned they were supposed to put a chockbox over the connector so shouldn't have needed to touch it anyway ( personally I always wrap connector in a bit of tape, cover any copper/screws, or you can get a shock if it touches anything)

What are you saying, the earth wire required sleeving therefore had to be disconnected to do this , this is on a live circuit and also the connector blocks constitute exposed live parts , at the very least he could have got a shock of the earth wires with any stray return currents in the circuit,,,

We've all done it. Learn from it and be more careful in future. If you'd fallen of the steps, smashed up some stock, fallen on your head and needed an ambulance. You'd be in the brown stuff now and not laughing about it.

There will almost always be someone working in a position above managerial wise trying to push you on to get the job done and meet target etc. However there is no excuse for trying to persuade someone (especially an inexperienced and vulnerable trainee) to work live.

I sympathize in the sense that you probably wont feel confident and/or want to cause any confrontation by refusing to do so but you need to take a step back and thing it's literally a case of your life on the line.

How things have changed!! lol!! During my time in the industrial sector, working live was part and parcel of being an electrician. By the sound of it, most of you would cringe at the things we were expected to do, to keep the lines/plants running. We were actually taught how to work live during the latter part of our apprenticeships, complete with fully insulated tool kits...

No it wasn't just a case of jumping into things willy nilly, ...any and all precautions were taken that could be taken, and you never worked live alone, but work live we did and on a pretty regular basis as well...

How things have changed!! lol!! During my time in the industrial sector, working live was part and parcel of being an electrician. By the sound of it, most of you would cringe at the things we were expected to do, to keep the lines/plants running. We were actually taught how to work live during the latter part of our apprenticeships, complete with fully insulated tool kits...

No it wasn't just a case of jumping into things willy nilly, ...any and all precautions were taken that could be taken, and you never worked live alone, but work live we did and on a pretty regular basis as well...

We used to send children up chimneys to clean them as well. Some things deserve to be left in the past though. The old days are only the 'good old days' when it suits eh. Daz

Well I and I suspect many others wouldn't be happy getting steps out and lifting false ceiling tiles knowing full well there were live connector blocks sitting on the tiles or maybe God forbid , touching the ceiling grid .
Needles to say I definitely wouldn't be sending a lad up there working live either..

I was just thinking that I sent him some useful information, no thanks no nothing, not that I'm whinging , honest:6::willy_nilly:

I agree, but by the sound of it this lad has received no training in how to safely work live. Nor was he under the kind of supervision that we would have been under when doing it.
In a couple of weeks I might be required to drill into a live bus bar, it holds no terror for me because, the same as you and a lot of others, I was taught how to.

We used to send children up chimneys to clean them as well. Some things deserve to be left in the past though. The old days are only the 'good old days' when it suits eh. Daz

what you mean "used to send children up chimneys". it's still common practice in stoke. how else can you clean out a bottle oven?

Don't have the BGB.. first year so was Told I don't need it yet. And again I listened to someone because if I don't how do I learn...I've got to believe what a time served spark says..why would I not...they should know best...if all else fails I come on here and get my --- handed to me haha jk :)

OK CHRIS, I've only read 4 pages of this thread and I have to say this (on a "reply with post")..... YOU MUPPET!!!!! You have been on one job with me and what happened regarding "safe isolation" before you touched anything??? I showed you the D/B, I showed you the grid switch, I showed you that NO cables were connected to the circuit that you were working on AND PROVED DEAD!!!!!! You Proved dead yourself, WHY NOT ON THIS OCCASION????????

Look Chris, I will buy you a bloody Volt Pen and give you a voltage indicator. See you at the weekend sometime, I'll call you.

Cant believe that you are doing this BTW. A face to face -------ing and a slap in the face is coming your way my friend. Please introduce me to "your supervisor, JUST FOR MY ENTERTAINMENT". I would love to meet him. Your call Chris.

There will almost always be someone working in a position above managerial wise trying to push you on to get the job done and meet target etc. However there is no excuse for trying to persuade someone (especially an inexperienced and vulnerable trainee) to work live.

I sympathize in the sense that you probably wont feel confident and/or want to cause any confrontation by refusing to do so but you need to take a step back and thing it's literally a case of your life on the line.

I agree but now i there are alot less electricians being electrocuted

I agree, but by the sound of it this lad has received no training in how to safely work live. Nor was he under the kind of supervision that we would have been under when doing it.
In a couple of weeks I might be required to drill into a live bus bar, it holds no terror for me because, the same as you and a lot of others, I was taught how to.

Yes i agree with you Trev, about this particular lads circumstances.

Don't go telling people here that, you wouldn't believe the stick i got on the PM's after telling my story of drilling a live bus bar in a MDB!! ...lol!!

That's the difference, it seems no-one is taught to work live these days as it's been demonised by those that know no different, ...but i bet it still goes on and by those that haven't been trained!!

Yes i agree with you Trev, about this particular lads circumstances.

Don't go telling people here that, you wouldn't believe the stick i got on the PM's after telling my story of drilling a live bus bar in a MDB!! ...lol!!

That's the difference, it seems no-one is taught to work live these days as it's been demonised by those that know no different, ...but i bet it still goes on and by those that haven't been trained!!
Well. like you, I've had to work live many times and have done so with no fear. Lots of respect for what I was working with but no fear.
Let the stick via PMs commence :)

Reply to First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net