Discuss First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

acording to the post they mentioned they were supposed to put a chockbox over the connector so shouldn't have needed to touch it anyway ( personally I always wrap connector in a bit of tape, cover any copper/screws, or you can get a shock if it touches anything)

100% correct shanky ...putting choc boxes over connector blocks but I could hear crackling buzzing so was tightening the screws..finger and thumb either side of the plastic block when I got a belt

I've spoke to 2 more sparks since this and both said it's safe to put a connector block in a choc box if you only touch the plastic...but yes I know safe isolation

What are you saying, the earth wire required sleeving therefore had to be disconnected to do this , this is on a live circuit and also the connector blocks constitute exposed live parts , at the very least he could have got a shock of the earth wires with any stray return currents in the circuit,,,

No was two different jobs...the earth was wrapped back up the grey pvc...so put sheathing on it and a connector block...the live and neutral were in a black enclosure

Where I got a belt was on each pir...from it to the led was a connector block....live..natural and one with red tape...so actually no cpc on them or the one I get a belt from .apparently needs 3core....it's the connector blocks I'm putting in a choc box

Last edited:
Are you saying the earth was crackling?

I'm not saying which was cracking..just that I could hear it coming from the connector block..hence I started tightening the screws..one of the neutrals was seriously loose..was turning turning and some more until tight and then that's when I got a belt just when I took my vde driver off the screw

OK CHRIS, I've only read 4 pages of this thread and I have to say this (on a "reply with post")..... YOU MUPPET!!!!! You have been on one job with me and what happened regarding "safe isolation" before you touched anything??? I showed you the D/B, I showed you the grid switch, I showed you that NO cables were connected to the circuit that you were working on AND PROVED DEAD!!!!!! You Proved dead yourself, WHY NOT ON THIS OCCASION????????

Look Chris, I will buy you a bloody Volt Pen and give you a voltage indicator. See you at the weekend sometime, I'll call you.

Cant believe that you are doing this BTW. A face to face -------ing and a slap in the face is coming your way my friend. Please introduce me to "your supervisor, JUST FOR MY ENTERTAINMENT". I would love to meet him. Your call Chris.

Another --- tanning...I'm big enough and ugly enough to take it ;)

I said if I had my way I'd of killed the circuit...but being bottom of the ladder....when someone above me says don't touch any conductor..only the plastic connector and it's ok to put them in the choc box...u know I believe most of what a time served spark tells me......plus the company didn't want the lights out...lesson learned ppl....speak to u soon Paul

Last edited:
Hi Chris. Agree with previous post re. safe working practices although, we've all (I guess) been guilty at some point. If the lights need to be on, can you not isolate, disconnect at a point, leaving some to give light and then work on next few, livening up a few at a time? You will become used to everyone moaning about losing power or lighting, but as said in prev post there are ways e.g. temp lights, run a lead etc. Just say sorry, we can't work live it's a danger to me, you and anyone else who enters your premises.

Thanks for the advice Jay...the circuit down stairs killed the whole right side of the counter so was dark when killed..upstairs I can kill it and it doesn't really make that one section too dark

Another --- tanning...I'm big enough and ugly enough to take it ;)

I said if I had my way I'd of killed the circuit...but being bottom of the ladder....when someone above me says don't touch any conductor..only the plastic connector and it's ok to put them in the choc box...u know I believe most of what a time served spark tells me......plus the company didn't want the lights out...lesson learned ppl....speak to u soon Paul

So Chris not only are you working live when you shouldn't be but now there's bloody 2 of you on the same set of Ladders. :sifone:

So Chris not only are you working live when you shouldn't be but now there's bloody 2 of you on the same set of Ladders. :sifone:

No bottom of the ladder meaning apprentice and he's a qs...and thanks I knew I can come talk to u whenever I have any concerns

Ps every circuit was made dead since it happened

No bottom of the ladder meaning apprentice and he's a qs...and thanks I knew I can come talk to u whenever I have any concerns

Ps every circuit was made dead since it happened
I knew that ya daft sod, it's called sarcasm, and yes you know you can.

It's ok for some being on here at this time..u part timer

It's the same as I tell our lass when I'm on the body " it's not how long you're there it's what you do while you're there

Also my van is in body shop getting some Tlc, so lad dropped me off home early.

....... every circuit was made dead since it happened
Good, at least a lesson was learned, there's nothing worse than warning signs not being taken seriously especially when it's safety. I know too many guys that have either been killed or seriously hurt when it could have easily been avoided if somebody had just taken some notice of glaringly obvious hazards.

I see some guys gave you a bit of a hard time but I don't blame you if you were working supervised. I remember as an apprentice it's not easy to say something to your peers when you have concerns about the way things are being done. Fear of ridicule, fear of being excluded, or not fitting in or even dismissal are always a worry.

Good, at least a lesson was learned, there's nothing worse than warning signs not being taken seriously especially when it's safety. I know too many guys that have either been killed or seriously hurt when it could have easily been avoided if somebody had just taken some notice of glaringly obvious hazards.

I see some guys gave you a bit of a hard time but I don't blame you if you were working supervised. I remember as an apprentice it's not easy to say something to your peers when you have concerns about the way things are being done. Fear of ridicule, fear of being excluded, or not fitting in or even dismissal are always a worry.

In one of my posts I said I'd spoke to a couple of electricians that said putting a connector block in a choc box can be done live...I'm at the very very really stages so in all honesty I believe them..I learned the hard way and will always be working with the circuit dead now..if they want to do it live..fair enough....I think once I've actually signed a contract I'll feel better standing up for myself and speaking out..but they are saying theirs some issue with the contracts...some stuff in it is wrong or needs adding..So until I sign on that dotted line I tend to keep my mouth shut

The latter part of your post is spot on marvo...relates to me very well

Reply to First electric shock in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net