Discuss First solar pv install - please help! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Reggie

Please help. We are a one man band electrician branching in to PV. I think I've read through every post on this forum to get some hints and tips. We've done the install course. Our assessment is booked for 24th May so we're on countdown. I could list 100 questions on here at the moment with all the MCS stuff but first things first we need to get some panels up on our roof so my first problem is the administration process for this. I'm still trying to get my head round the process and paperwork but do I need to contact our energy suppliers for approval before we do the install ? The training course we attended went in to good detail about how to put them up but was rather lacking in how to make sure the paperwork is all correct.

If anyone remembers how it feels at this rather scary stage in the process and would be happy to offer some help for us to find our feet I would be so grateful.:confused::confused:

Hi

You dont need to notify the energy company unless the system you install is rated at over 16Amp (3.6kW) before you install, but you must notify them on the day. This is easier said than done as coulldn't get hold of anyone via phone, so i sent an email, then you have 30 days to send in the paperwork. you'd be better of getting replies of other more experienced people on this forum as im still waiting to get accreditation. got my assessment next wednesday, and still have tons to do on qms. If you have time i recommned you go on a course specifically aimed at quality management systems for mcs acreditation. there are a few companies out there running courses. it's a bit late for me so i'll just have to go for it.

good luck

Thanks Oscar's dad. Good luck with assessment on wednesday. We recently purchased the complete picture software - did I see you had commented on that? I am finding it incredibly difficult to use, and may have to give it up as a bad job. I've also been considering the easy MCS which promises a 100% pass rate. I don't know about you but I don't necessarily just want to buy accreditation, I need to understand the whole thing too. Don't want to keep spending out on these things - whole process is costing quite a lot already. I think a course might be the answer - we do still have 6 weeks. Good luck and thanks again.

Hi Reggie,

im sorry to hear you shelled out for cps. i found it difficult to use and the tutorials were no existant. i was nearly suicidal trying to workit out, but now i have managed to get some advice of a very helpful pv installer locally, who gave me some good advice. so i have 7 days to get my qms into place. i'm sure its quite straight forward passing the mcs with out attending a course on qms if you work through the requiremnets logically, but i've wasted so much time going round in circles, i am now on the right track.

who is your mcs provider by the way?

cheers

Yeah - feeling the same about the Complete Picture software at the moment. Out of interest, did you just give up with it or did you manage to get a refund.

MCS through ELECSA as we use them for Part P, no comment to make on them one way or other yet, but will wait and see how assessment goes.

Best wishes for a successful PV business.

Hi Reggie,

Welcome aboard and stop worrying. They don't shoot you on inspection!

No need to ask prior permission as long as you are under the 3.68kW limit (G83/1) I assume as this is your first install it is under this limit?

It would pay to down load the guide lines on SSEG's and notification procedures / documents form your own DNO. You will see what is needed for this then. Search your DNO's website and see what's there.

Notification to the DNO regarding a SSEG you have 30days. I email ours (UK Power Networks) to their dedicated G83 notification address and include a PDF of the electrical installation certificate, DC certificate (home made one as NICEIC STILL have not managed to produce one!) and a schematic. I normally do all this within a few days of completing the job so it is fresh in my head but I don't know of a need to do all this on the day or even contact them on the day by telephone but it may be down to the DNO.

I am not a lover of Easy MCS and have had run in's with a guy who tried it on, on this forum!

MCS is a paperwork exercise, nothing more. If you buy your QMS it may not be how your company works. I wrote ours from scratch and now its in place (and has been for a year) I can easily amend it as and when. Consider your steps and processes from first customer contact to hand over. How do you take a call or inquiry, what information do you need, do you conduct a survey? what do you need to do a survey, what information do you need etc. Think about every little step one at a time all the way though to the hand over. How to store materials and quality control, quarantine area for damaged product and how to secure these.

It really isn't that difficult or costly and if you do it yourself you can amend and add as need be.

All the best

Last edited:
Thank you Mark C. I know you are right and I totally get the bit about writing your own - 6 weeks to go so time on our side hopefully, if I start working on it now. Sounds like your business is going from strength to strength so you must be doing something right. Thanks again for the info - very much appreciated.

Thank you Mark C. I know you are right and I totally get the bit about writing your own - 6 weeks to go so time on our side hopefully, if I start working on it now. Sounds like your business is going from strength to strength so you must be doing something right. Thanks again for the info - very much appreciated.

No problem. Keep us up to date on how it goes

I gave up with Complete Picture as a QMS after shelling out for it and paid for EasyMCS as well - Doh! *You still have loads to do (a good 2 weeks on top of your install) but i passed Mcs assessment with NIC. *having said that i had to rewrite my Customer contract to be more REAL compliant and have already began customising parts of my QMS to suit the way I work. the question is was it worth the dollars for EasyMCS and answer is probably yes but mainly for the confidence boost not to get knocked back by an assessment and risking having to fork out NIC assessor to come out again. *I still use Complete Picture for SAP calcs to not a total loss but still an expensive mistake.

Hello Cookie Monster.

Paul from Complete Picture here. Sorry to hear you didnt get on with the QMS software. Are you using the online version or did you download the stand alone version. We are moving all of our QMS users to the online verison so we can help get you started.

Reply to First solar pv install - please help! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net