Discuss For new sparks who change dist boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Theres are things that can be done to make it compliant but by the time you have done all that and carried out any remedial works on the circuits , would you actually be leaving the installation in an orthodox manner , I suspect with all that on the wall anybody would want to leave it at least easier to understand , I would deco recommend a new consumer unit , following the further testing of the installation and correction of it ,,,

Recommending a replacement is a normal thing to do for most in this situation and is understandable, the skill here is knowing if it is needed and whether the boards need replacing, lets say for example a well known company went into this house, didn't test or inspect anything just glanced at the boards ( which may be the truth) and told the customer that the lot needed ripping out beacause it was highly dangerous and a bill of £1,600.00 plus vat was the cost to install a new large high integrety board. one would that be satisfactory,two would it be unsatisfactory or three would it be daylight robbery? I am not saying my views yet, just hoping the inexperienced guys here would have an idea about it.

you would need a few stand alone RCDs to make this compliant , so I can't imagine what it would look like when complete, its a bit of a spiders web now,

Thats it I have done my little bit , let someone else have a go now ,,

you would need a few stand alone RCDs to make this compliant , so I can't imagine what it would look like when complete, its a bit of a spiders web now,
Really? the Installation is 30 years old, all zs readings are within parameters and bonding is up to scratch, I can see your point, but if we went into every house in the uk 95% of them would not have stand alone RCDs would they? when we carry out an EICR do we have to ensure the premises is safe or up to 17th edition 2014 standards? To add a bit of info here. If I bought that house I would rip the lot out and replace, but if I did that there would I be breaking the law if I told the customer it had to be done because it was dangerous?

Thats it I have done my little bit , let someone else have a go now ,,

edited

Sorry MDJ, i maybe gave a little more away than you wanted too.

I think Tony has had enough and like me is biting at the bit to say the truth, he is 100% right by the way. okay the findings were I couldn't tell the customer it had to be ripped out. As hightower mentioned early on I recommended it and told the customer why, but when he asked me " Mike is it essential, is it dangerous do I have to spend money having a new board my answer was No you do not, although your installation is old, every circuit passed the test, not one circuit didn't comply, so how could I justify taking his money? the long and short of it is we have no right to rip people off and I believe these companies who do need to end up in court. Remember it is a test and inspection to assess danger not whether it is up to regulations. That said what a bloody mess the lot should be ripped out, but sigh we have to be honest.

I think the moral of it is..... is it safe for continued use and and does is present any sort of hazard or danger. obviously theres your testing and checks etc but just because it looks untidy and not the best workmanship does not make it unsafe, just more of an eyesore to the trained eye. But i may be wrong!!

Reply to For new sparks who change dist boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net