Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just found the one I think your on about - a BG CU - 10 ways fully loaded for £50 + VAT.

Out of interest what is BG like? What is their reputation like for protection or are they a budget range?

Installed today.
Yes its a cheaper one as is normally given away by the finish on plastic moulding, but not ultra cheap. ie the plastic is not translucent :) The door on this has tight movement.

There is plenty of room, good range of knock-outs, optional bus-bar arrangement and a very good selection of circuit identification labels.
I would use one again.

Just seen the £50 one in B&Q today.

Make - BG
10 way
White Lid - non see through

Comes with:
3 x 6A MCBs
1 x 16A MCB
5 x 32A MCBs
1 x 40A MCB

And typical B&Q dont stock the MCBs that go into them, they have to be ordered in.

In Trade Point Cat: £50 + VAT
Instore: £50 inc VAT

Not quiet sure how that works??????

Its just to keep the balance that the general public can get the gear first and foremost, and that they can get it cheaper than trade as well.

In this mad nation its much easier to get electrical gear from electrical wholesalers as Joe Bloggs than it is to get food stuff from catering wholesalers as Joe Bloggs - to do that you need all sorts of evidence you are in the catering game.

better still, anyone can go into a office block, school, shopping centre, in fact anywhere that there are lots of members of the general public at anyone time, and dont NEED to be registered to do electrics in there, but go round someones house and put a new socket in or fit an outside light NO NO NO!! you must be registered !!!

I was thinking about taking a handful of business cards into B&Q and dropping one in each of the CU Boxes, the chance of B&Q Staff looking in the boxes is quite slim.

Might get some work in, as there are so many in B&Q who are DIYers buying and doing their own electrics.

I stopped one today on the way out and asked her has she got anyone to fit that CU, she said ya her husband, I then asked her is he a electrician with reply of no
Told her I would be willing to fit it and sign it off as her husband would have to go to LABC and pay £180 to get it signed off and I could fit it for that, she said no, my husband has been doing it for years and never had to get anything signed off as its their house, tried to convince her she needed a sparky or LABC to sign it off but she would not have it!

It shows how dangerous it is with B&Q selling these as discounted items right next to the front door.

Had a look in 1 today as well, no warning labels or books to say only to be fitted by an electrician, just ready to install - whats that saying - anyone can install this!!!

What on earth is going on?? and they wonder why so many people are fitting their own electrics with no registration or LABC

I stopped one today on the way out and asked her has she got anyone to fit that CU, she said ya her husband, I then asked her is he a electrician with reply of no
Told her I would be willing to fit it and sign it off as her husband would have to go to LABC and pay £180 to get it signed off and I could fit it for that, she said no, my husband has been doing it for years and never had to get anything signed off as its their house, tried to convince her she needed a sparky or LABC to sign it off but she would not have it!

You are wasting your time there, if someone is buying one they will have someone to fit it. As for part P find me someoe who has been prosecuted for failure to adhere to it?

Had a look in 1 today as well, no warning labels or books to say only to be fitted by an electrician, just ready to install - whats that saying - anyone can install this!!!

All any instructions will say is, if in any doubt consult a qualified electrician. Nothing wrong with that as it passes any liability onto the customer.

When I say there was nothing, I mean there was nothing.

There was a wiring diagram (of how it is wired up in the box) nothing about how to fit it

No safety notices at all

In regards to alarm man's post - at least when someone does a short 17th regs course they have a copy of the regs and they would of gone through them in college, these DIYers have done nothing at all!

Even though saying that some of those who where on the 17th reg course with me, had done no previous electrical work or courses and they where doing the course with the aim of inspecting and maintaining factory electrical installations - and the college let them on - need to say they didnt pass the course as they didnt have a clue

B&Q do some guides for it though, so its all good. They skip the part on testing, but I think if you plug a radio or the likes into a socket and it works you have done ok. If a light switches on and off you are good to go. Things like a broken ring either refer to the cooker, what goes on the finger or something much much more painful.

There was a wiring diagram (of how it is wired up in the box) nothing about how to fit it

No safety notices at all

In regards to alarm man's post - at least when someone does a short 17th regs course they have a copy of the regs and they would of gone through them in college, these DIYers have done nothing at all!

Even though saying that some of those who where on the 17th reg course with me, had done no previous electrical work or courses and they where doing the course with the aim of inspecting and maintaining factory electrical installations - and the college let them on - need to say they didnt pass the course as they didnt have a clue

Well I woldn't worry yourself over it, after all if there are no instructions it becomes the manufacturers problem should any thing bad happen.

No safety notices at all

what the difference between a diy'er and someone with only a 17th ed course to their name,its a joke but theres no punch line..

what the difference between a diy'er and someone with only a 17th ed course to their name,its a joke but theres no punch line..

Well they'll have an up to date set of regs and OSG, they'll probably have some decent test gear, be aware of what works are notifiable, will have read through part p and been tested on it, will probably be registered on a CPS therefore will have appropriate insurances etc etc... Way ahead of the average DIYer!

For balance there are many time served electricians who havent looked at a regs book in years and think that they have nothing more to learn. Ones that have no problem pulling DNO fuses (until one falls apart in their hands) no problem clamping 951's to Tn-S sheafs (until one goes bang after crushing the lead and the paper etc etc..) and so on.

Just saying...

For balance there are many time served electricians who havent looked at a regs book in years and think that they have nothing more to learn. Ones that have no problem pulling DNO fuses (until one falls apart in their hands) no problem clamping 951's to Tn-S sheafs (until one goes bang after crushing the lead and the paper etc etc..) and so on.

Just saying...

i take it your a part p/Electrical Trainee/diet spark then..

I wouldn't trust any B&Q leaflets.
I find the Collins DIY manual to be very useful, a lot easier to read and understand than BS7671.
I believe they now do a manual just for wiring?

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net