Discuss Fusing down the oven. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys.
Just done a rewire which includes a 32 Amp 6mm cooker supply to a cooker outlet point via the usual isolator + socket.

This is only being used for an oven which turns out to be 2.7 Kw, with an HR 1.5mm flex requiring a 13 Amp fuse.

Would it be acceptable to change the outlet point to an FCU (which will be hidden behind the oven)? Guess that's no worse than having a hidden plug and socket! Not quite sure whether 6mm cores will fit in a FCU, but I'm always willing to try!
Cheers.
Pete

Wake me up, and tell me what your problem is with the original set-up, ''a 32 Amp 6mm cooker supply to a cooker outlet point via the usual isolator + socket.''???

Well you see it's like this, the problem is............errrm...............the problem is..............hmmmm..........no i'm stumped, over to you piratepete!

Just connect a bit of 6mm twin and earth or heat resistant flex to the cooker, I usually use a bit of 2.5mm heat resistant flex, there's no need to fuse it down IMHO.

Well you see it's like this, the problem is............errrm...............the problem is..............hmmmm..........no i'm stumped, over to you piratepete!

MCB is 32 Amp. Oven requires 13 Amp. Considered changing MCB to 16 Amp but this also supplies socket on isolator which could have a 3 kw kettle plugged into it. Simple,eh? 13 Amp is manufacturer's requirement (fan oven)

Last edited by a moderator:
6mm to a surface 13a skt behind the oven to fuse it down.
Had to do similar many times and sometimes a twin socket for the oven and gas hob ignitor.
The oven manufacturers are miserable with the flex length so maybe change it?
Boydy

Jesus, .....either change the MCB rating to 16A/20A if you're that worried about it, or just leave it as it is!! The oven is classed as a ''fixed load'', so cannot overload. the MCB of any of the above ratings will protect against short circuit faults!!

What do you think happens in the rest of Europe, where the same oven is sold?? There are no fused socket outlets or FCU's.

Oh and BS 1362 fuses are there to protect cables/cords/leads, not the appliances to which they are attached!!!

The last 6 ovens I have wired up did not come with any flex at all.

Then they are even more miserable nowadays.
PP is talking about a single cavity oven with selector switch which means either the oven or grill can be used, therefor the load is 2.7kw.
A traditional double or one and half oven however doesnt usually come prewired.

Boydy

MCB is 32 Amp. Oven requires 13 Amp. Considered changing MCB to 16 Amp but this also supplies socket on isolator which could have a 3 kw kettle plugged into it. Simple,eh? 13 Amp is manufacturer's requirement (fan oven)

MCB is 32A cable is 6mm, MCB is correctly sized for cable (the thing it is there to protect) no overload protection is required as per the regulations (loads which by their nature cannot suffer overload) just check that the 1.5mm flex to the oven is suitably covered for fault protection.

Also suggest you check the diversity tables for how much you should be allowing for a socket outlet in a cooker switch.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT OLS CHESTNUT " MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS". IF YOU DON'T FUSE IT DOWN TO 13a, THEY CAN DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY IF AND WHEN IT GOES WRONG.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT OLS CHESTNUT " MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS". IF YOU DON'T FUSE IT DOWN TO 13a, THEY CAN DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY IF AND WHEN IT GOES WRONG.

They can always try, it'll hold no water.... As i said the BS 1362 fuse is to protect the cable/cord of the appliance, NOT the appliance/equipment itself!! Could always ask them what they would recommend for the same unit being installed in say France or Germany!!! That'll be an interesting answer to hear, if the same question is asked in a court of law?? lol!!

totally agree. it's same as the 3A fuse in bathroom fan. the problem arises in court " you did not install it to manufacturers instructions" even if said instructions are stupid.

totally agree. it's same as the 3A fuse in bathroom fan. the problem arises in court " you did not install it to manufacturers instructions" even if said instructions are stupid.

Ask them the same question, ....What is the manufacturers instructions given to those installations where this same bathroom fan is installed in Europe?? Can't come up with a 3A fuse can they??!!!!! lol!!

therein lies the problem, who wants to go to court for a new oven? i know my customers wouldn't have wanted to and i do not want to, so install as they say for a easy life.

Never known a case to go that far. It's normally the manufacturers service agents that try all this smart arse stuff out, with the chopping of moulded plugs and the like.... If an appliance has been connected to the electrical supply by a qualified electrician, in a manner that fully complies to BS 7671, then the manufactures ''will'' back down, as they have absolutly nowhere to go.
Apart from the fact that it wouldn't be in the companies brand names best interests on several counts, to allow such cases to even come close to a court hearing ...

Down to you, if you are willing to let a service agent deny you and/or your customers consumers Statutory Rights!! Buggered if i ever would!!

Reply to Fusing down the oven. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net