Discuss General price code guide for Electricians in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to know I there I a general price electricians are suppose to charge for certain domestic jobs in London
as ive been told plumbers have a code so they do not undercut each other.

Just wondering if electricians have this code too? If so what are the price range for most jobs & is it right to charge call out fees?

Thanks Guys

Why??? I want to make a decent profit each month.

If you join the race to the bottom you will be a very busy, poor, fool.

It is rarely I hear a client say. "I would like to use you because you are the dearest". Ideally undercut by a nats c**k but it is still undercutting all the same.

It is rarely I hear a client say. "I would like to use you because you are the dearest". Ideally undercut by a nats c**k but it is still undercutting all the same.

I often hear things more along the lines of 'you were the more expensive quote but we'd still like to use you because you come highly recommended/have been the most helpful/made the best impression' etc etc

Well I doubt there are electricians who charge £500 for a full re wire of a 3 bed!?
or £100For fuse board change

so in theory there is a GENERL guide surely

Hi,

I just wanted to know I there I a general price electricians are suppose to charge for certain domestic jobs in London
as ive been told plumbers have a code so they do not undercut each other.

Just wondering if electricians have this code too? If so what are the price range for most jobs & is it right to charge call out fees?

Thanks Guys

Charge what your happy with and don'y worry about other's.

I often hear things more along the lines of 'you were the more expensive quote but we'd still like to use you because you come highly recommended/have been the most helpful/made the best impression' etc etc

Well that is great. Says a lot about you.

We we work within the public sector so although we sometimes get away with single tender opportunities due to reputation unfortunately most of the time at least 3 quotes are required. There are other things that occur to ensure we get the price but I could not possible comment here. Lol!

I never aim to be the cheapest, because ideally I can do without customers that take the cheapest quote.

I usually say to customers when quoting against others "I can pretty much guarantee I won't be the cheapest, but I do aim to be the best value. The job will be on time, to the exact spec I quoted for, and I won't try and make up a cheap quote by creaming the extras" Or words to that effect.

I have had customers ask me to quote to an exact specification, only for them to take a quote that is £200 cheaper that has omitted £800 worth of the original spec. I leave tradesmen and clients like that to each other and concentrate on doing a quality job for a reasonable price.

Well that is great. Says a lot about you.

We we work within the public sector so although we sometimes get away with single tender opportunities due to reputation unfortunately most of the time at least 3 quotes are required. There are other things that occur to ensure we get the price but I could not possible comment here. Lol!

That's a bit different then. I know that game can be all about undercutting as sometimes the cheapest quote is the one that is obliged to be taken on.

Hi all
we had job quite a fews years back asked to quote kitchen electrics down lights ect, I priced whole job the lot, told by the builder I was over double, I was shocked could not believe it would have been first job for him so I did not go over board on costs.
Any how 6 months later got a call from owner asked to see me very embarrassed about using the other contractor & could I help them out so I went to have a look, was not even the same job I had to move things for them that were in my quote. Any how I asked about the difference as you do & after all the extra's there was not even 10 pence in it & a totally different job to mine ( mine more customer friendly). Now I charge what I think is fair & if they want to use a cheaper quote I always which them the best & should they need us in the future they know where we are.
Most of the time I win the jobs & any that don't want it no problem, but I don't budge on the price unless it is peanuts in it.

Just make sure your estimate clearly states what they are getting for their money and leave the client to decide.

I can normally tell from visiting the client if they are serious and if they want a proper job done!

I think when clients want electrical work undertaken they are swayed more by the confidence they have in the electrician rather than the price.

Price obviously still plays a part, particularly with some customers, but I think its better (as most others have said) to give an accurate/sensible quote even though that means losing some jobs sometimes. You will slowly build up a reputation this way as doing a good job.

I'm sure theres a study somewhere that shows in some industries (or products) people actually want to pay a higher price because they then perceive they are getting a better product/service. Price yourself too low and people may think the quality of your work is relative to the price you charge.

I never aim to be the cheapest, because ideally I can do without customers that take the cheapest quote.

I usually say to customers when quoting against others "I can pretty much guarantee I won't be the cheapest, but I do aim to be the best value. The job will be on time, to the exact spec I quoted for, and I won't try and make up a cheap quote by creaming the extras" Or words to that effect.

I have had customers ask me to quote to an exact specification, only for them to take a quote that is £200 cheaper that has omitted £800 worth of the original spec. I leave tradesmen and clients like that to each other and concentrate on doing a quality job for a reasonable price.

Exactly how i trade, always aim to provide the best value and service, but never the cheapest price

undercutting others to win work is a mugs game, your always gonna be poor, stressed out and wondering why lifes such hard work

When your the cheapest quote you tend to always win work from cheap customers too, decent clients would tend to be suspicious of the cheapest price

for local authorites however cheapest quote wins, which is why i dont work for them anymore

Reply to General price code guide for Electricians in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net