Search the forum,

Discuss Grommets or conduit in metal back boxes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could do, but i would imagine that by including conduit fittings your going to reduce the internal diameter of the conduit at the ends. That will also introduce a snagging element when pushing T&E cables down the conduit!!

Ugh agreed, whats the point of running 25mm conny if it gets reduced down to 19mm by the time you've put an adapter on it, granted some makes are better than others but its still a pain!

Only ever used round conduit and male adapters or glands/brass bushes if there's no conduit involved. I've never used grommets, I dislike them because they're prone to coming out of place. We don't really get the oval conduit here but if I was using it and there's no male adapters available for it I'd probably run it 10mm inside the backbox rather than cutting it short and using a grommet. The male adapters we use don't reduce the ID of the conduit or cause a restriction.

I use grommet strip rather than grommets. It stays in better than the crap grommets you get these days,which fall out as soon as you push a socket back.
Most common fault of neutral earth faults I've found is no grommets on a socket box cables pushed back and crushed on the edge of the hole

I beleive MDJ was asking for an example when you would use singles within a domestic installation not installed within conduit and just entering a metal box without a metal bush etc? MDJ can correct me if I'm wrong :)

As long as the wire has its (double insulation) intact & going into the metal back box no grommits are needed .

As some singles dont have a second insulation layer for protection when entering a metal back box then the installation method is completely different so i think MDJ already knows the answerd to his own question as do i . To ask me 4 an illegal example deserves no response. AGAIN ,, ELECSA advised me of this even thou i fitted the grommits ,

As long as the wire has its (double insulation) intact & going into the metal back box no grommits are needed .

As some singles dont have a second insulation layer for protection when entering a metal back box then the installation method is completely different so i think MDJ already knows the answerd to his own question as do i . To ask me 4 an illegal example deserves no response. AGAIN ,, ELECSA advised me of this even thou i fitted the grommits ,

Change the record will ya pal!?

Any PVC sheathed cable entering a backbox where conduit isn't used needs a grommet fitting on the box to keep the cable from being damaged by the sharp edges. You wouldn't have a wire​ entering a backbox unless in conduit anyway, would you, so what you're saying is actually tripe. Singles of any type (single or double insulated) would be run in conduit, unless I've been doing it wrong all these years......... Or am I missing something??

The grommet protects the outer sheath of the cable, even if that cable has a hundred layers of insulation!

Dependant with whom you are reg'd with im sure your answer will be differant ,

If you don't use em the part p police will take you away , NOT ! lol.

Good (or bad) practice has sod all to do with which scam you're registered with!

Put simply, a conscientious well-trained sparky looks after his cables.

Just to make the discussion a little more fruity..... what do we make of this?

2013-05-18 12.48.33.jpg

Reply to Grommets or conduit in metal back boxes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net