Discuss grouping urgent question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a agreed on site with electrical foreman to install 48 way dist. boards on 8 floors. We both agreed on a horizontal 4"x 4" header(approx. 400mm long) on top of board with a 600mm stem 4"x 4" stem into header thus forming a tee. This was in plastic although my own preference would be metal trunking. The boards were fed in t&e approx. 17 lighting circuits 1.5mm . 6amp ,18 radials 2.5mm sockets 16amp and 6 cookers 10mm.Some rooms have heaters small loading, i think . When cables are compressed into trunking there is at least 50% excess space left . Apart from the short trunking above board the cable mainly runs on basket for about 20 metres and through a wall passing into 300m of plastic pipe filled with firestop.I have installed this on five floors .Now some buffoon , a so called sparks has said that because of grouping there should not be the 600mm of vertical trunking above the board as there is not enough space for grouping!!!!! But keep horizontal bit, ha ha. I find this absurd as it is such a small length and there is still 50% capacity for more cables anyway.If anything the cables passing through wall filled with firestop would be susceptible as there is no air gap at all !!!!! .Help would be much appreciated as I think it absurd to change what I have done .

the other chap appears to be talking crap but thats not the issue
the issue is what authority does this person have over your work ?
is the foreman gonna back you up ?
and are you following design / instruction from another party ?

Thanks biff ,the other guy is just an agency sparks with a so called 2391 such as I have. What makes me laugh was the .I feel he is trying to interfere as he likes control of the job. Has been on the job a month or so longer and creates paranoia .The laughable thing is the owner /director of the company employing us did see the install only an hour or so earlier and did not mention a thing!!!!!!! and definitely seemed happy with it.There is NO SPEC. with the job it is make it up as you go along.

Thanks biff ,the other guy is just an agency sparks with a so called 2391 such as I have. What makes me laugh was the .I feel he is trying to interfere as he likes control of the job. Has been on the job a month or so longer and creates paranoia .The laughable thing is the owner /director of the company employing us did see the install only an hour or so earlier and did not mention a thing!!!!!!! and definitely seemed happy with it.There is NO SPEC. with the job it is make it up as you go along.I thought you made the cable calcs. before you installed the cable anyway lol ??????? as he was also worrying about volts drop in certain other area's, more medicine matron lol !!!!!!

Last edited:
ah , so its the old design and build type contract where the client doesnt want to pay for proper plans for the job and expects the hired help to knock together the installation for him.

in which case all bets are off , and you can do it as you see fit without fear of comebacks.
just ignore the other spark hes just trying to points score to look clever.

Reply to grouping urgent question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net