Discuss Hager Consumer Unit - Fire retardant grommets? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When working on Wylex consumer units I always opted to use semi-blind fire retardant grommets. (British General Fire Retardant Semi-Blind Grommets 13 Pcs - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-fire-retardant-semi-blind-grommets-13-pcs/9638p) These ensure that any internal fire is starved of oxygen.

I was also under the impression that they were seen as a best practice to achieve the IP rating that requires no more than a 1mm gap at cable entry points.

I've recently started using Hager consumer units and due to the rectangular nature of the cable entry holes, I cannot find any fire retardent solution other than silicon to ensure all gaps are 100% sealed? Do they exist?

When working on Wylex consumer units I always opted to use semi-blind fire retardant grommets. (British General Fire Retardant Semi-Blind Grommets 13 Pcs - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-fire-retardant-semi-blind-grommets-13-pcs/9638p) These ensure that any internal fire is starved of oxygen.

I was also under the impression that they were seen as a best practice to achieve the IP rating that requires no more than a 1mm gap at cable entry points.

I've recently started using Hager consumer units and due to the rectangular nature of the cable entry holes, I cannot find any fire retardent solution other than silicon to ensure all gaps are 100% sealed? Do they exist?
Don't think so I used to run some 50mmx100mm across the top of the CU, cutting holes where you need to, to match up with the CU knock outs, the trunking complete with lid form a perfect IP barrier, no need for mastic as long as the 50mm plane of the trunking is fitted tight to the plane of the CU.

I do doubt that semi blind grommets will starve an internal fire of oxygen. There are plenty of little gaps around the MCBs etc that will allow air in quite easily - usually at one end.
Not having a go or anything, just an observation..

Reply to Hager Consumer Unit - Fire retardant grommets? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net