Discuss Hall of Shame Photos in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

But the fitting must be suitable for the environment and due to water splashes my NIC Inspector told me it would have to be a IP55 fitting-like the MK weathershield sockets! Lovely

Did you ask the NIC inspector if he'd like IP rated sockets in his kitchen. What a Knxb.

Personally I try and work to 600mm

So Easy To Fix But So Difficult To Find

A quick 17th Edition CCU update I thought but the house ring circuit was showing a short between neutral and earth? This was caused by an incorrectely wired junction box behind a stud wall in the kitchen. To add to the problem, the kitchen walls were tiled - fortunately a retile was on the cards.

img054.jpg
The complete update job took me 2days. Since I was doing it for family, I was not charging for my time - don't you just fall-in with these family favours!!!!

it hasn`t even been done rite anyway that joint box...and i aint on about the lack of G/Y sleeving to the CPC....but why does the CPC cross over the neutral like that?....that CPC should terminate into the middle termination of the three.....

I visited a property last year with an older rotating wheel type meter. The meter glass had been broken and clothes peg clamped on the wheel to stop it going round.

Far safer than sticking wires up the cavities:):):)

Used as a last resort - the back to basics process!!!!

1,Ring C/B to OFF. Then fully disconnect & isolate both ring cables from the consumer unit.
2,Go to where you think the middle of the ring is and disconnect that socket and split apart the cables so they don't touch.
3, Test which ring leg has the problem????
4, I then go live on that leg only to identfy the sockets that are fed - simple using a socket tester.
5, Isolate supply again.
6, Disconnect all sockets on this half of the leg. Remember to separate all the ring wires.
7, Meter out cables to see which pair of sockets has the short circuit.
8, The next bit is guesswork. You have to imagine where the cable is likely to run?? If it's easier to put in a new line then do it and cut out the original faulty line
9, Not the quickest of processes but if you know what you are doing, then it will find your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Landlady asked me to check a faulty oven supply. nothing wrong with supply, oven was broken. When I checked the fuseboard it was in a cupboard just outside the front door. Cupboard door was open at the bottom for cats to get at food so was open to plenty of damp. Fuseboard up high with no cover. The pic is as I found it! I advised her to upgrade, I'm awaiting a response. I mentioned her duty of care as landlady but I wont hold my breath.
IMG_0904.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
5ec57f40-3486-1bd8.jpg
Replacing 2 noisy fans in a new build for customer.

Took the first one in downstairs cloak out to find that there is no ducting to it whatsoever!!

The van is blowing into a small void created by pushing the insulation back that is in floor void between ground and first floor.

Second one is upstairs en suite.
Here the ducting is actually there.
However the builders / spark couldn't be ar$ed to actually connect it up.
Fan was simply blowing into the loft.!

Classy.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326658220.031574.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 83
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326658252.206903.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 80
Another job this week.

Client has an outside jacuzzi.. Oooer missus.
The guys that fitted it when straight off the meter with their SWA. Nicely done. But no OCPD for the cable other than main cut out (100amp fuse) until the RCD just before the jacuzzi itself.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326658888.149332.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 270
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326658909.340665.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 222
Another job this week.

Client has an outside jacuzzi.. Oooer missus.
The guys that fitted it when straight off the meter with their SWA. Nicely done. But no OCPD for the cable other than main cut out (100amp fuse) until the RCD just before the jacuzzi itself.

Nice!! Even doubling up on the tails from the meter! Superb Job!

New bulkhead fitted, now needs to be on a pir. No problem, just use term blocks inside the light housing, drill a hole, fill with silicon, tie a knot in the cable so it doesn't pull out oh and forget about earthing it job done. BTW the "spark" did this on two fittings! It just amused me, the amount of effort he put in to a bodge job.

IMAG0339.jpg

Reply to Hall of Shame Photos in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net