Search the forum,

Discuss Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Where’s my mate GMES? Has the hairy guy got lost?
Funnily enough, this is his most recent post:
Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 21.44.45.png

Aww, you guys! :) You're like ships that pass in the night...

Where’s my mate GMES? Has the hairy guy got lost?
I'm here Mike I've had a few things happening away from the forum but alls good mate.
Looks like I've missed a fair bit. Time to catch up by the look of it.

I'm here Mike I've had a few things happening away from the forum but alls good mate.

How can you qualify as an Administrator if you are barely around for most of the time to do any Administration?

You is taking the p!ss.

See - I think those who are saying electrical trainee, and whatnot are the ones that need to move on. We did that in the naughties. It's 9 frigging years latter and we still haven't accepted that it's a hard trade to get into as an existing skilled worker. So there are going to be half a dozen ways into it.

If it's staying, it needs another name. And half the people who have it need it taking off them.

Those with the mentor tag that aren't being professional on here need to lose that too perhaps?

And then maybe we step back let the forum run and see what complains come in again over a few months and see how new users are reacting to it.

I do backup the forum members you know. When the newbie member is out of line there's no way I back them up, they're probably other forums winding this one up and know which strings to pull.

And similar to the plumbing forum, DIY trying to touch Gas and get advice on that, it just can't be done. That brings me legal issues. So I'd never backup a DIYer whos attempting to touch something they shouldn't.

But there's a way we go about it. I know it's tiring when you clock a DIYer time after time and tell them get a sparks in, and you get cocky.

But ideally - we want them to use a sparks from this forum. So when I've sorted the directory out again, we want to be professional, and link them to that so one of our guy gets the job.

There's just a way to go about it. And again I'll say it, this isn't reddit or facebook. You can't just say what you want. Not all the time anyway.

Food for thought.

Another is forum mentor. I really tried to make a go of the trainee section but very very few forum mentors lived up to their title to assist.

Disappointing.

How can you qualify as an Administrator if you are barely around for most of the time to do any Administration?

You is taking the p!ss.
Because as staff we work as a team, sometimes we need time away from you bunch of wingers I've tried twice to put a smiley face at the end of comment but it wont let me.

I think this thread is turning in to a dissertation,of Animal Farm...:)

...and i only really understood that,after watching Life of Brian...

I suppose there is an argument,for everybody having the same Korean suit on.....Gaddafi had a lot of medals:oops:
The only other parallel i could draw,is if looking for advice,off two dudes in real life,you would have what you can see,and what you hear.

If what you heard did not convince,you would attempt a guess at authority,on what you saw...on site,this may be a variety of things,but on a forum,these are limited ;)

Never been much of a Muttley,so i'll go with the flow...

Hi hairy, nice to see you around, I suppose your earning millions with the business, hope so, is Glenn still working for you?

You is taking the p!ss.
Ah archly, you still drinking that manc canal water?

I don't think we owe anything to any one member. We can't do. I love those who contribute loads and help. But one day a few, as always, screw it up for the masses. And it backfires.

I think he gets respect automatically because his content is accurate. His peers already know he's respected. He doesnt need a badge. Surely.

His peers may very well do, but people that pop in for a bit of urgent advice do not have the luxury of having built up a long history of understanding who's who. I think some kind of badge helps them as they have no other basis upon which to judge whether the advice offered by one is any better than that offered by another.

I have finally voted. For "Yes"
If the members have been given this for a reason my the powers that be then all is good... They have earned their "Respected" badge. But as 'respect' in real life, this should depends on the behaviour of said person.

I have finally voted. For "Yes"
If the members have been given this for a reason my the powers that be then all is good... They have earned their "Respected" badge. But as 'respect' in real life, this should depends on the behaviour of said person.
Chicken La la la la la. :D

Chicken La la la la la. :D

What for mate?
I had to vote one way or the other..

and it was the only way I could see how the vote was going..

What for mate?
I had to vote one way or the other..

and it was the only way I could see how the vote was going..
I would have voted yes, but decided to vote no to be awkward lol

The vote is meaningless anyhow... The powers that be will decide and thats the way it will go...
As I said earlier, they need to remove all of them if they are going remove tags.

there are 5 options I can see.

1. rated by your customers (Original Poster)
2. rated by your peers
3. rated by the moderators/staff
4. a combination of above
5. not rated at all

I wonder if this may be a poll worth posting?
I understand this is not a democracy, but it might help the staff to get an idea of what people are looking for.
I agree with this,
You don't have to give the member any specific title but rather something like a star or badge system. Where the poster gets awarded (through nomination) a star. Something similar to the military or hotel ratings for example. Where a long serving poster who has offered sound advice on many occasions and is respected by his/her peers would say be a "5 star member"
Perhaps it doesn't even have to reflect the amount of time spent or posts made on the forum but rather the quality of the posts as per voted by the members/admin.

Hi hairy, nice to see you around, I suppose your earning millions with the business, hope so, is Glenn still working for you?
No mate, not seen him for quite a while now.
I spoke on the phone with him about 6 months ago but that's it, he's ok from what he said.

It isn't fair for all, but I don't see that as any reason to change it.
The idea of everything being all fair and equal is a nonsense, some people are worthy of far more respect than others so why not recognise this?

For god's sake Dave.. will you please just say what you mean for once.

I can never tell what you are thinking with all the ----- footing around you do. :)

Personally I found him quite difficult. I honestly thought he would go against the clear intent of a Reg just to pick a fight.
--I just label that as manly behavior--
My daughter is always telling me off for "Simplifying the world" Into stereo types.
(It could be a Public-Forum-Persona he puts on,
Much like Super-mans dual identity)... (man/mouse)
We come home to relax - (or be a gossiping aunt), the Mum figure Solving everyone else's problems !..etc
(Opinion coming from a "Secret Squirrel"-- or do I have a multiple personality disorder ?)

The reason I feel a star award system would work better than a title, is that a title can be interpreted to infer authority rather than quality. It can also give the person with the title a superior sense of authority over others where this is totally unjustified.
No, I don't think a star system would work.

If I were to get into a dispute with you on some innocuous non electrical thread, such as Brexit or whatever. You could follow me around the forum voting me down.

It would also encourage certain cliques to boost each others posts in order to gain a higher star status.

Or am I just too Machiavellian?

1_48xHd1kEOqZRIhzrMzeREw.jpeg

There are always people who will try to beat the system, whatever the system is.
however I am totally in favour of the star system.

infact, it would be good to put in a little maths, i.e. if you vote down a post that has mostly positive clicks, it knocks a point of your own score.

if to get 5 stars you needed say 1000 points, the odd disagreement would not harm your score if each vote only counted for 1 point.
however, the person voting down many posts would loose plenty themselves.

You could well be, for starters........

Try a star/delta system

star delta is so old hat, you should be moving to soft start or inverter.
KEEP UP WITH THE TIMES!!

There are always people who will try to beat the system, whatever the system is.
however I am totally in favour of the star system.

infact, it would be good to put in a little maths, i.e. if you vote down a post that has mostly positive clicks, it knocks a point of your own score.

if to get 5 stars you needed say 1000 points, the odd disagreement would not harm your score if each vote only counted for 1 point.
however, the person voting down many posts would loose plenty themselves.
But then that enforces herd like mentality, with people afraid to go against the grain.

I remember different members would "dumb" anything posted by someone they didn't like.

But then that enforces herd like mentality, with people afraid to go against the grain.

I remember different members would "dumb" anything posted by someone they didn't like.

I totally see where you are coming from. however, if its anonymous votes then you cant have that.
people have to place there vote blind.

See - I think those who are saying electrical trainee, and whatnot are the ones that need to move on. We did that in the naughties. It's 9 frigging years latter and we still haven't accepted that it's a hard trade to get into as an existing skilled worker. So there are going to be half a dozen ways into it.

Those with the mentor tag that aren't being professional on here need to lose that too perhaps?

Whichever term you use for the people doing short courses they aren't unique to this forum, they are in common use amongst all of us in the trade in real life too.

The trade isn't hard to get in to at all, especially as an existing skilled worker.

It's at 50/50 now....
The thing is, how are do you take this 'all equal' stuff?
If the banners are removed then technically so should the new feature of the flags. We are all equal so why should it matter where you post from...

Taking it even a step further, all profile pics should be removed, as it discriminates against us uglies....

No, I don't think a star system would work.

If I were to get into a dispute with you on some innocuous non electrical thread, such as Brexit or whatever. You could follow me around the forum voting me down.

It would also encourage certain cliques to boost each others posts in order to gain a higher star status.

Or am I just too Machiavellian?

View attachment 51029
The thing is its just an internet forum, its not going to affect my life if someone holds a grudge against me on this forum or if I do or don't receive any stars. The forum is here for anyone interested in electrics, the question is (in my opinion) is it a good idea if there is some sort of indication for new members who are seeking advice showing that the likely quality of that advice given is going to be sound. Similar if you book a hotel and it is 5 star you expect a certain level of quality. Nothing is fool proof, we only have to look at the government!

Reply to Has the 'Respected Member' tag had its day? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net