Discuss Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is there no way the OP can find out if the guy is actually an electrician?
Should'nt the electrician have proof?

Is there no way the OP can find out if the guy is actually an electrician?
Should'nt the electrician have proof?

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a client ask to see an artisans qualifications. Any decent electrician will be only too proud to show them too, ....unless he hasn't got anything apart from a couple of worthless add on things...

Let him rectify any works he has said he would, ask for a certificate first as he cannot withhold it as a bargaining chip for payment, (the cert is his way of saying the work he has done is compliant and up to a good standard).. arrange a day to pay but in the mean time get a registered company to assess his work and give you there opinion (verbally at first), if its a bad report ask them to do an inspection on the new kitchen works and write a report up for you... it may be a little more money but may save you a lot of aggro' in the long run if he knows you have had someone who's competent inspect his work... If it is in questionable condition then I would withhold final payment until all issues have been resolved at no extra cost...

If he then gets arkward and refuses and demands payment - explain that you will get another company in to rectify the work to meet regulations and will deduct it off the final bill, any issues with you doing so express you will get a solicitor involved.

Try do all communication by Email or text or recorded calls.... show in these that you have given plenty of opportunity for the work if substandard to be rectified.
The more evidence you have the tighter the corner he gets backed into is.

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry thought these had loaded.
He apparently works for a known company that I don't want to name. We haven't seen any qualification. I should have asked I know.
The hob manual LAM1701 1702. Hob left front 1700 rear left 1200 rear right1200. Front left 1700
total power5800 watt
cable type. HO5V2V2-F 2.5 mm 3 core or equiv min. Which on readin worry some as he told me he had changed it to a 1.5
Oven. LAM3301 2.4 kw
Both manuals say should be connected to a double pole control unit I did bring this up but was swamped with jargon like I said
Will post pic of plugs when get sent them from home.
thx all

totally unacceptable. that cable should be supported throughout it's length. as for the hob, it need to be hard wired through a 45A isolator and a cooker connection point. same with the oven. if located close together, a single 45A isolator and a dual outlet CCU will suffice. feed cable should be 6mm on a 32A MCB.

Darkwood thns
Probably the only sensible thing we did was conduct everything by email. Even him telling us it's ok they are heat shielded cables. The hob and oven on plugs is ok
They have already mailed us the final bill We have never not paid a bill in our lives and don't like the thought if all this hassle at all. But I will not pay till satisfied and that does seem a long way off .
Already 5 k down the drain time to stop the leak.
thnx

image.jpgHead is now at saturation point.
Home now to listen to the voice recorder I hid when I went back to work leaving them alone to sort things out.
Sly I know but our backs against the wall.
Heres the plug for the cooker n hob.

phew. bad enough putting them on plugs, but to plug both into the same double beggars belief. this so called electrician is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a qualified tradesman. in you place , i'd get a proper spark to sort this mess out, then knock his charges off the 50% that you have retained.in fact, keep it all and boot him off the job. i'd not let that guy back in the house. even if he rectified the work, you'd still need to get it checked, and he probably hasn't got the equipment to test and certify the work anyway. to be blunt, the guy's an absolute ----er.

I would see if any competent members on here would be in your location and just get them to have a check at his work.... I'm concerned that the socket is also part of the ringmain and not a dedicated supply ...this would see you having nuisance tripping when you have other items plug into the same ring that are heavy energy uses like dryers/washers kettles etc... judging by the pics I pass on great concern as to the actual design of the circuits and whether they are even to regulation and/or safe.

His methods from a visual aspect ring alarm bells and to comment further I would need to really be there, sorry that you have found yourself in this situe' and its possible its not as bad as it seems but we can only respond to the impression we get from the photos.

It's not a good situation to be in. By the looks of what you have shown the so called "electrician" is a chancer and I wouldn't be letting him come back to rectify the work. I would get another electrician in as telectrix said to rectify his mess and to also check over the rest of the work he has done and knock the cost off the final bill.

It's not a good situation to be in. By the looks of what you have shown the so called "electrician" is a chancer and I wouldn't be letting him come back to rectify the work. I would get another electrician in as telectrix said to rectify his mess and to also to check over the rest of the work he has done and knock the cost off the final bill.

you're a lot closer than most of us. get yer arse round there.lol. :49:

Hi
we are in herts and would happily pay someone good enough to come if near.
I am interested in what happens next and will post
thnx for all the help.

Reply to Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net