Discuss Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oh man could you please explain. I have been starting to worry a bit about that as why would a good tradesman work with a poor one.

SEE POST #9

But .......... I don't think the "plumber" is that bad. His soldered joints look neat with the solder not running all over the shop like the grease on a half burned candle.

haha. just opened a bottle of king goblin. only brewed on a full moon. 6.6%. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

SEE POST #9

But .......... I don't think the "plumber" is that bad. His soldered joints look neat with the solder not running all over the shop like the grease on a half burned candle.

There are 10 unnecessary bends/elbows in the pipework featured in pic2/post 1 & the 2nd set of pics. (assuming they're the same pipes going through that wall)

phew. bad enough putting them on plugs, but to plug both into the same double beggars belief. this so called electrician is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a qualified tradesman. in you place , i'd get a proper spark to sort this mess out, then knock his charges off the 50% that you have retained.in fact, keep it all and boot him off the job. i'd not let that guy back in the house. even if he rectified the work, you'd still need to get it checked, and he probably hasn't got the equipment to test and certify the work anyway. to be blunt, the guy's an absolute ----er.

Beautifully articulated. Don't let the idiot back in your house.

Hi mate I Cant believe he thinks the double socket and 13A plugs are adequate for your oven and hob whatever figures and technical garbage he was speaking was complete and utter tosh and bull, he didn't get the values and figures from working it by the KW rating or current carry capacities of cables or using any of the tabulated values from the Regulations he should be hopefully following, as no way on earth the socket circuit, double socket outlet or the 13A plugs and the flexes are any where near adequate,the flex only looks like 1.5mm at most. the cables will be hotter than the oven

Mate I would complain to them and tell them you want an Independent fully qualified JIB electrician to come round to check and put right there mess paid for by them
This is what kitchen fitters do all the time bodge and run when it comes to the electrics and plumbing my brother paid £10k and got similar workmanship with a fancy granite work top thats the only good bit he paid for the rest was a bodge, they didn't even fix his plinths on top of the cupboards, double socket under sink trapped behind pipes and bottom of cupboard so flexes bent beyond 90 degrees, No Main protective bonding to water under sink and not to mention the 2 stopcocks one under the cupboard with the incoming pipe bent over flat with the stopcock jammed solid and a nice shiny new one in cupboard which wouldn't isolate the water which was coming from the 90 elbow hid under cupboard behind the kickboard
9 x 50 w halogens fed by 2.5mm fed from a connector block shoved under floor with some flex of somekind connected to base of a 3 plate rose so terminals visible , and the nice fault from the loop burning through to the Neutral which i found
the cables slung behind like washing lines , No grommets in boxes and cables damaged through this and the shoddy way they cut the boxes into the tiles, rough to say the least the extra longs 3.5mm machine screw only jsut reached through them chasing the boxes nearly into next room

Ask them what scheme there electrician is registered and a member off and proof so you can contact them as well to complain, the certificate he gives you wont be worth the paper its written on as Guaranteed it full of lies

I feel sorry for you mate you pay good money and all you want is a good job worth that
good luck hope you get some recompense from them

totally unacceptable. that cable should be supported throughout it's length. as for the hob, it need to be hard wired through a 45A isolator and a cooker connection point. same with the oven. if located close together, a single 45A isolator and a dual outlet CCU will suffice. feed cable should be 6mm on a 32A MCB.

Why not a 32A isolator?

Back to the OP - was this an install by a "big shed" where they subbed the install out?

OP - don't name the supplier but was it one of the "big names"? If so they sub the work out at fixed prices and hey presto the standard of work is rubbish as the company quoting often don't see the job, nor understand what is actually required from a sparky, plumber or gas fitter!

Feel bad for you buddy as that is some of the worst work I've seen in years electrically & plumbing wise. As the very experienced electricians have already posted on here the total lack of knowledge so far as the isolation & outlets for the oven for example beggar belief ! Taking into account diversity for your oven and hob I would be concerned as to whether the twin socket in your cupboard carcass would get all hot and melted before the flexes or the RCBO if fitted at the CU tripped ? I'd never give the dangerous bellend the time of day again !

Taking into account diversity for your oven and hob I would be concerned as to whether the twin socket in your cupboard carcass would get all hot and melted before the flexes or the RCBO !

What did you make the total load connected to that twin socket to be after diversity? My calculation doesn't make it the immediate fire risk you seem to be suggesting.

brucelee quote
This is what kitchen fitters do all the time bodge and run when it comes to the electrics
and plumbing my brother paid £10k and got similar workmanship with a fancy granite work top thats the only good bit he paid for the rest was a bodge

We now see one of the consequences of dumbing down the trade of electrician

The trade bodies brought in the defined scope of "other trades" doing limited electrical work, the incompetent and untrained were suddenly let loose with badges that can fool the customer and even the badge holders themselves into believing that the work is not very complex and its something that can be a add on to another trade

Its hard to know where the finger of blame is to be pointed,it seems its in part all the trade bodies, the kitchen (slap in the electrics) installers/fitters,the sheds for allowing this fiasco under their name,the government (for starting the free for all initially) by allowing defined scope registration twhich set the bar for those bodgers who may be with or without scheme tickets

All I know is the trade has suffered a mortal blow and its people like this customer who suffer and pay for the consequences

His soldered joints look neat with the solder not running all over the shop like the grease on a half burned candle.

They were free samples he got from the merchant and he had try them out somewhere!! ;)

There's probably hardly any solder in them joints and they'll be weeping like cry babies in no time.
Practising his soldering 'skills' you seem impressed by? :smilielol5:

I've just teamed up with a kitchen fitter, he feeds me regular jobs, this is for a big shop, Let's just say if you would some wire round a nail and put some voltage over it you would find the shop.

anyway, he explained to me the other day how it works, he is given the job of fitting the kitchen, and a budget to get it done, then it's up to him to source a plumber and spark etc, all the paperwork he showed me seems a lot of hassle to be honest.

I suppose i dint don't mind doing it as I know that the work I am doing is all to a good standard, but I know where the relationship will fall apart, it's when he says can you put a couple more sockets in and I turn up and say something like there's no RCD and solid green bonding or something, I'll say well that needs dealing with and he will say I just want the sockets, and I'll leave him hanging when he doesn't want to do it as he didn't factor things in that he doesn't understand and so on.

I've just teamed up with a kitchen fitter, he feeds me regular jobs, this is for a big shop, Let's just say if you would some wire round a nail and put some voltage over it you would find the shop.

anyway, he explained to me the other day how it works, he is given the job of fitting the kitchen, and a budget to get it done, then it's up to him to source a plumber and spark etc, all the paperwork he showed me seems a lot of hassle to be honest.

I suppose i dint don't mind doing it as I know that the work I am doing is all to a good standard, but I know where the relationship will fall apart, it's when he says can you put a couple more sockets in and I turn up and say something like there's no RCD and solid green bonding or something, I'll say well that needs dealing with and he will say I just want the sockets, and I'll leave him hanging when he doesn't want to do it as he didn't factor things in that he doesn't understand and so on.

Exactly how many beers you had before you wrote this?...... can fill in some of the gaps but the rest is a struggle :ack2:

Reply to Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net