Discuss help please reduced output on hot days in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

no shading at all from the mains cables, its just the angle of the pic there agood 8 to 10 feet from the roof and not much higher the sun wood have to rise direct south and by the time it got over the houses in front the shadow would be on the wall not the roof.

The power cables fix to below the eaves so unless they go up at 20+ degrees, they should be OK,

Here's an interesting comaprison for you from two other DH postcodes Compare Multiple Systems | Normalised Energy

Looks like you guys up North have been having sunnier weather than us in the midlands as well!

And is that a loose / unfixed DC cable I can see just to the left side of the right hand velux? yes it is theres a lot of loose hanging cables under the panels

Those aren't your (unsecured) cables coming down on the very right hand side on next-doors roof are they? no next doors areals my cables go into the loft under the bottom right panel

Home Solar Durham is a diffrent orintation 2 mine south west.the other system is the main one i compaire with as he's quite close to me and very similar in other asspects.

personally I'd stick a harness on and go out of the skylights, using the top of the bottom row to stand on and swap the cables around.

what's the chances of their spark having or being trained for a harness though?

Fault list so far in your system;
Hanger bolts ( not recommended for slate)
DC cables not secured
strings wired incorrectly
inverter boxed in
not the best panels
can not see any earth cables on array ( legal requirement with velux windows)
I am sure there many more, I feel you did not choose your installer wisely, I am sorry, but I do not have the answers for you to correct all of this.

Hanger bolts ( not recommended for slate) not slate compisite tile carnt be lifted for hooks
DC cables not secured, there is loose cable but they are rapped round the brackets
strings wired incorrectly. yes could be right but by some posts on here not the only installer to do this
not the best panels, i ask for them due to price and gurentees so carnt blame the installer and on mixed days they seem alright push over 3kw out and once the strings are sorted who knows.
can not see any earth cables on array ( legal requirement with velocity windows) carnt comment on that one as i dont know but he new enough that he couldnt cover them as the open so may have earths,
inverter boxed in, i did this to protect the wires from my daughters ferret, im already planing this week to make some smaller that just covers the wires and not the inverter so you carnt blame the installer for that one.
i went online on a site that recommends local installers and to be hounest one was hundreds of miles away and used contractors, one did so much for you that no other installer did and promised after 2 hours of explaning what the did i asked how the fixed to compisite tiles and didnt have a clue. the other two were simler apart from one had only been fitting a year. the other unlike the other 3 didnt try and tell me that i would get 3000kws a year out of a 3kw system and in the end gave me the inverter i wanted the panels i asked for at the best price.

Fault list so far in your system;
Hanger bolts ( not recommended for slate)
DC cables not secured
strings wired incorrectly
inverter boxed in
not the best panels
can not see any earth cables on array ( legal requirement with velux windows)
I am sure there many more, I feel you did not choose your installer wisely, I am sorry, but I do not have the answers for you to correct all of this.

why are they not the best panels and can you show the regs on velux windows earthing arrangement the world has gone mad with bond this bond that.

why are they not the best panels and can you show the regs on velux windows earthing arrangement the world has gone mad with bond this bond that.
there really is only any need to bond them if they are also an extraneous conductive part - ie if there is already conductivity to earth from the frame, which nobody can know for sure unless they're tested, otherwise no bonding is needed.

the problem is that the old guidance says you must bond the frame if it's a TL inverter, but that's 6 years out of date, and all TL inverters now come with inbuilt all pole RCD's that didn't exist back then. The new guidance that was supposed to be published last year says only bond if it's an extraneous conductive part and in the equipotential zone, but it's still not officially been published, so it's all a bit of a moot point about which guidance to follow.

We've been following the revised guidance since last Autumn, as it's the only version of the guidance that makes any sense, and the people who write that section of the guidance have stated that this is going to be the version of the guidance when it eventually gets published... no point just blindly following 6 year old guidance when the technology has changed massively since then.

If you think bringing 300-600DC into your daughters bedroom, along with her pet ferret is good practise, and you feel your installer has completed an excellent install, then there is nothing more I will add to this thread.

Maybe the Earthing of the array is a contentious point at the moment, if you can touch the array from a velux than there is potential, so for the small cost involved earthing would be good practice.

With these points made I am done with this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks to me as though you will almost certainly get some shading off the mains cables (with the shrouds off!)
Those look as though they could well be more than 200mm off the roof.

Slightly OT, but is the 200mm requirement before you need planning permission measured from the roof to the underside or top surface of the panel?

@billybee, slates cannot be lifted either to install brackets, they have to be ripped out, slots cut out, flashing installed and secured with hooks. Yours look like Eternit or silimar which tbh is the same principle as slate. The general concensus is that hanger bolts are not the best method for fixing to slate, primarily because they involve drilling a hole through every lap of slate which could lead to water ingress if over time the neoprene washer perishes or the nut beomes loose. They are designed for corrugated fibre roofs. I did try an experiment by fixing a hanger bolt to slate and running constant water over it. It didn't leak but wouldn't want to risk it over 25 years.

Slightly OT, but is the 200mm requirement before you need planning permission measured from the roof to the underside or top surface of the panel?

@billybee, slates cannot be lifted either to install brackets, they have to be ripped out, slots cut out, flashing installed and secured with hooks. Yours look like Eternit or silimar which tbh is the same principle as slate. The general concensus is that hanger bolts are not the best method for fixing to slate, primarily because they involve drilling a hole through every lap of slate which could lead to water ingress if over time the neoprene washer perishes or the nut beomes loose. They are designed for corrugated fibre roofs. I did try an experiment by fixing a hanger bolt to slate and running constant water over it. It didn't leak but wouldn't want to risk it over 25 years.

i beleve my roof is corrugated fibre boards, i'm not a roofer but could see what the fitted and spook a to them about it and its not slate. as to the hight i can only reach the middle panel thats on its own and its 205 to 207 mm high to the top of the panel but i sopose if needed be theres about 30mm of adjustment on the bolts so the could be lowered slightly. i'm not a fitter and wouldnt no whats best with theses type of roof boards but at the time of fitting the roof was 6 weeks old and i'm happy with the system they used, yes i relized having rubber seals on the roof long term has some risk but its the chance you have to take.

anyway the electricans coming thurs or frid to make changes and i'm going to speak to him about the loose cable. and the best option on restringing, i spoke to my son inlaw whos a cooling and heating engernier and the first think he said was this wasnt he field thou he had done some bits on inverters and oftern worked with DC. he looked at the figures and understands why it would be better with one string. but when we spoke about linking outside the inverter he couldnt see what diffrence it would make to linking in the inverter. yes on the roof due to resistance there could be a saving on vaultage loose. but saving 4 or 5 feet of wire inside would be normanal. he did say though that you lads will know more than him and there could be other considerations for joining the strings before they hit the inverter.

thanks all

had it done on friday, restringed outside the inverter. problem is the desktop i have only saves watts output and as everyday is diffrent i have nothing apart from the systems ive been compairing with to compair with still.
no major signs of improvement yet. out of the four days since i can only count 3 as his system was down so useing the other 3 i'm looking at around 11% diffence in performance may and june were both 9%. but to early yet as there can be big diffrence over a week so will have to give it a couple at least and wait for some very hot days. but at the moment theres nothing jumping out. i will add that frid sat and sunday i had peaks of over 3200 on all three days. but i'll update results in a couple of weeks thanks

hi all just an update, been a few weeks know since the resring changes, that is the change in the inverter. as the only figures i have to compaire with is the ones i already was useing ive continued down that line. as there can be large diffrences from week to week im doing the comparison of may and june which i had and i'm happy to say at the moment i'm seeing around 3% improvement in the comparisons upto date this month.

so thanks for all of the help as some improvement is better than nothing. i could restring fully on the roof and gane somemore but the cost will probably out way the savings. but thanks all again for the help.

i havnt had a very hot day since the restring was completed so carnt comment on hot days yet, i have had a day where the panel reached 36c for a few hours and didnt experance any drop in out put still hit 3kw on that day.

Reply to help please reduced output on hot days in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net