Discuss Hi all! Old(ish) spark looking to go it alone but unsure where to start? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it's purely EICR's then you don't need to be registered.
Most estate agents will be looking for registered electricians.
You dont need professional indemnity insurance
NICEIC require you to have professional indemnity insurance if you want to be included on the NICEIC register for electricians who do EICRs.
It's a good idea anyway, as when you sign an EICR, you are giving a professional opinion as to the safety or otherwise of the installation. The insurance will help protect you by covering legal fees if you're sued.

@happyhippydad - a very helpful post indeed, very comprehensive.

happy. PI insurance is essential for EICRS. it covers you against cocking something up ( giving bad professional advice, etc.). PL just covers you for damage to propery claims.
If you are commissioned by an Estate Agent you could work under their PI insurance, but still advisable to have your own.

totally agree with, you will never look back. This is absolutely the best time there has ever been to do it. I went on my own 7 years ago. I was also 42. Just had 49th birthday.

from day one stowed out.

I got delivered 5000 leaflets professionally done.

big mistake. Should have only done 1000.

got a full rewire from that on my first week.

stowed out ever since.

dispite being rediculously busy for last 7 years, it’s even more busy now.

honestly if your good and you know your good. Do it.
You've really inspired me with this info Pete! I read it and felt that my efforts will be rewarded especially seen as though you started out at exactly the same age as me! :)

Happy Birthday by the way! ?

I really do take pride in my work and enjoy the good feeling of the customer when the job is complete and I've handed over after explaining how their new "stuff" works.

I am a good electrician (not the quickest out there if I'm honest) but I take my time and make sure it's right first time. I've seen many sparks who rush through jobs but they end up being messy and badly installed with many short-cuts taken. I prefer to take that little longer. I don't see it as a bad thing really as I care about the end result.
I had the opportunity to take the cover off a CU a colleague installed a few weeks back and was shocked at the state of how it had been done. Really messy. It's no wonder he can get through a CU upgrade in less than 2 hours with work like that. I just couldn't put my name to that sort of workmanship.

It's even more important when working for yourself I guess, customer MUST be happy.....

You've really inspired me with this info Pete! I read it and felt that my efforts will be rewarded especially seen as though you started out at exactly the same age as me! :)

I really do take pride in my work and enjoy the good feeling of the customer when the job is complete and I've handed over after explaining how their new "stuff" works.

I am a good electrician (not the quickest out there if I'm honest) but I take my time and make sure it's right first time. I've seen many sparks who rush through jobs but they end up being messy and badly installed with many short-cuts taken. I prefer to take that little longer. I don't see it as a bad thing really as I care about the end result.
I had the opportunity to take the cover off a CU a colleague installed a few weeks back and was shocked at the state of how it had been done. Really messy. It's no wonder he can get through a CU upgrade in less than 2 hours with work like that. I just couldn't put my name to that sort of workmanship.

It's even more important when working for yourself I guess, customer MUST be happy.....
Good to see someone with high standards. You will do well. It may take some time to get established, but all it takes is a few regular contacts.
Another thing to consider - I don't know how many sparkies on here have a website. But I have found it to be essential. Doesn't have to be elaborate, but can help showcase your talents and help people to find you.

Customers don't generally get to see inside their CU and are happy if it all works as it should, your own work ethic is up to you, but when working for yourself you can't be too pedantic about neat and tidy installations when the CU is a replacement sometimes it impossible to get a neat solution as the route is dictated by the existing installation, different for a completely new installation then there is no excuse for an untidy install.

yous not the only one that's a bit slow. takes me almost 10 minutes to chase out a double box these days. but at least i have an excuse. geriatric and senile at 74. ???

Reply to Hi all! Old(ish) spark looking to go it alone but unsure where to start? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net