Discuss How do you test Earth Bonding? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

How do you test the earth bonding to the water or gas pipes / what tests need to be done?
Should you connect to the pipe itself of the terminal on the pipe?

How do you test the earth bonding to the water or gas pipes / what tests need to be done?
Should you connect to the pipe itself of the terminal on the pipe?

Ask yourself this...
Exactly what are you trying to achieve by doing the test and why are you doing the test (its not because it says in a book, there is a reason behind it)???
How can you do what you need to do?????

Set to Ohms, test on earth cable in consumer unit and connect other end to pipe? So just an R2 test?

What about if the lead won't reach from DB to pipe??
Does it matter if the resistance of the leads is included in the result???
What about possible parallel paths, could they influence the result???
What is an acceptable reading?????
What are ther easons behind us doing the test????

Its not an R2 test as its an earth bond not a cpc, its classed as wander lead method. Earthing and bonding are not the same thing 1337.

Ok, very good answers..

What do we need to do before we disconnect conductor at 1 end to remove parallel paths, and why do we need to do it?

Why do you think we are given a low guidance figure of 0.05 ohms as a maximum value, what are we trying to achieve with this main protective bonding conductor?

Last edited by a moderator:
to achieve touch voltage of less than 50V

Although why would you disconnect the bonding to remove parallel paths? Parallel paths would be present under fault conditions.

You would remove the bonding to test ZE though.

to achieve touch voltage of less than 50V

Although why would you disconnect the bonding to remove parallel paths? Parallel paths would be present under fault conditions.

You would remove the bonding to test ZE though.

To test the continuity of it, how do you know you've tested it if you've included parallel paths in your test? :smile5:

That would be fine on initial verification but not always possible on an EICR, But your right, the bonding on initial verification should always be checked for continuity before energising whilst disconnected from the MET

Reply to How do you test Earth Bonding? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net