Discuss How to hide too much cable under a ceiling light rose in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sty1990

DIY
Reaction score
We’ve removed a strip light from the kitchen and discovered loads of cable behind it. Loops from different plugs and switches so it can’t be removed. It was easily hidden in the big light but ive bought a light with 3 spots on a pole and the rose bit is pretty shallow. the wires can’t be pushed any further into the ceiling and the flooring above cant be lifted without moving the bath. Anyone got an6 ideas of how to easily box in or hide these wires? Thanks :)ECDEDD37-CAB5-41E5-A16D-9968DDC58EFE.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this all jointed together within the fitting?

Originally, it may have all been in an old type ceiling rose, but maybe not if the property has been rewired at some time.

The joints should really be enclosed in a joint box, and pushed up into the void, but depending on number of cables, this could become quite large.

Can we get a photo?

Not an uncommon scenario. Fluorescent batten fittings were an easily accessible and convenient place to join a few lighting circuit cables together.

Is this all jointed together within the fitting?

Originally, it may have all been in an old type ceiling rose, but maybe not if the property has been rewired at some time.

The joints should really be enclosed in a joint box, and pushed up into the void, but depending on number of cables, this could become quite large.

Can we get a photo?
0283650A-1448-4B75-B88B-3054D413FCF5.jpeg
Thanks for your reply. Here’s a low resolution photo as I couldn’t get anything else to upload. I’d ideally like to avoid the hole being any bigger in the ceiling as the replacement light is just a regular size rose.

Can't make out too much in that pic, even at maximum magnification, but it looks like a job for a long, thin Wago box and connectors, with a short cble attached for your new light. These boxes are designed to be pushed through a hole smaller than a ceiling rose.

Reactions: DPG
Can't make out too much in that pic, even at maximum magnification, but it looks like a job for a long, thin Wago box and connectors, with a short cble attached for your new light. These boxes are designed to be pushed through a hole smaller than a ceiling rose.
Thanks for that advice. Unfortunately there are 5 thick grey wires (with coloured ones inside) sorry I don’t know technical terms and they fill the hole. There’s no space to push anything up and the cables won’t pull out at all. Is there a similar solution to box it on the outside. Or should I make a wooden one?

You can get round plasterboard boxes that sink into the ceiling, as long as there’s not a joist in the way…
Make all the supplementary joints in there and only bring a switched live, neutral and earth into the rise.

The threaded holes in the box should match up with the fixing holes in the rose, just need M4 screws to attach.

Or as above, a wago lite box. Just needs maybe an inch square hole to pop up, and the same SW/L, N and E into the rose. The rose itself would cover the hole.

A close up photo with better resolution would be very helpful.

I'm wondering if the wiring is sheathed singles, and there are not that many connections - in fact as many as you'd expect in an old loop-in at the fitting installation. In which case the junctions might all fit into the miniature Wagos (2273 series) intended for lighting circuits. Which would avoid the need for any junction box or plasterboard holes.

That appears to be standard 'loop in' wiring, as you'd find in a conventionally mid circuit ceiling rose plus the switched feed and switch wires for another light.
Is the ceiling plasterboard or lathe and plaster?

Unless the new light fitting is very small, this all ought to fit with the miniature Wagos. Obviously the connections all remade with excess cable trimmed off. How about a photo of the new light?

Here’s the new light with measurements

Attachments

• 93B059D5-B458-496B-9541-1D39C5A1577E.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 62EAC5DC-FD30-4E2C-878F-4D41A23ED021.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 13
You say the bath is above this. If the bath is directly above, and the bath panel is removeable, then an access hole could be cut, as long as it doesn't affect the legs of the bath. The board removed doesn't have to be replaced flush with the floor. A larger piece of chipboard can be fixed over the top of the hole.
Beware of pipes when cutting.

We seem to have done everything with this house the wrong way round! The bathroom has only just gone in and it’s click together flooring that goes under the bath and is sealed in, that’s right above the light. It’s a retired electrician who is doing the lights as a favour so don’t want to start making it a hassle for him. I was really hoping for a pre-made box type solution to cover it up. It’s strange because the cables really won’t budge in or out.

Is your retired electrician familiar with Wago boxes? It doesn't necessarily have to be just one - the second light circuit can have one of its own, and another for this light.
Get him to try to work out why the cables won't move. It's unlikely that they are all that tight.
You're not the first householder to do things the wrong way around. Buying a house, decorating right through, and then finding that they need a complete rewire is extremely common. Almost the norm.

I’ll ask him in work tomorrow and show him if he’s not. Thanks for much for all the advice, it’s really appreciated :)

Reactions: DPG

Reply to How to hide too much cable under a ceiling light rose in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net