Discuss How to mark conduit bender? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

VORTIGERN you can also use a 3 piece coupling or a union I don’t know what you call them to eliminate screwing it in
sounds interesting, not that I have ever used them I just assemble down and offer up to the hospital saddles I usually use. Like to see a pic of what you mean if poss.
[automerge]1577832045[/automerge]
Longthread and coupler (aka runner)
The question was rhetorical just getting the OP to think about the practicalities outside of bends.

VORTIGERN you can also use a 3 piece coupling or a union I don’t know what you call them to eliminate screwing it in

We don't have them in the UK, we use a running coupler instead.
[automerge]1577836058[/automerge]
sounds interesting, not that I have ever used them I just assemble down and offer up to the hospital saddles I usually use. Like to see a pic of what you mean if poss.

This shows how a 3 piece coupling works, it's not to different to a running coupler, just bulkier.

Assembling the conduit then fitting it in to the saddles only works up to a certain length of run, and when there aren't too many obstacles in the run. Otherwise runners are not so easy to avoid.

Last edited:
That 3 piece coupling doesn't look very good. Does the ferrule ever catch the free floating part and unscrew when tightening together? I suppose you would need one of those things as a running coupler wouldn't work with american taper threads!

I have never heard of a running coupler. Learn something new everyday. But then I have never had the need for them. I think they look a bit untidy though and would spoil the line of the conduit install. Although I can see they would have their uses.

I have never heard of a running coupler. Learn something new everyday. But then I have never had the need for them. I think they look a bit untidy though and would spoil the line of the conduit install. Although I can see they would have their uses.

They do look slightly untidy, but they are necessary whenever you can't spin the conduit due or bends/obstructions or the conduit is just too long to assemble on the floor and lift into place.
How do you get over the problem of not being able to screw the conduit together? I guess you could fit a fit a small adaptable box, but that would look worse in my opinion.

They do look slightly untidy, but they are necessary whenever you can't spin the conduit due or bends/obstructions or the conduit is just too long to assemble on the floor and lift into place.
How do you get over the problem of not being able to screw the conduit together? I guess you could fit a fit a small adaptable box, but that would look worse in my opinion.
/
Don't think they would look unsightly in an industrial install though, having used the extensively.

/

Don't think they would look unsightly in an industrial install though, having used the extensively.
Remember showing one useless kid how to do one. I left him for a couple of hours to carry on and when I returned he was still struggling with it and I had to give him a nudge and tell him he needed to fit the nipple...still trying to screw the long thread in..:rolleyes:

Remember showing one useless kid how to do one. I left him for a couple of hours to carry on and when I returned he was still struggling with it and I had to give him a nudge and tell him he needed to fit the nipple...still trying to screw the long thread in..:rolleyes:
Did you make your own or buy ready made (nipples that is)

few times when a runnibg coupler has beed advise, I've unscrewed he box, screwed it onto the conduit, the refitted. saves a bit of Galvafroid anyway.

Something for a bored Apprentice, "here you go Son, stocks and dies pipe vice and a length of 32mm BE conduit, twenty nipples please cut them the same length as a normal 32mm coupler, oh and here is some Tallow to help cutting the thread, you won't need your Gym subscription this week either" see Sparking is give and take pays your wages and keeps you fit. wash your hands before you eat your Maccy Dees, there is enough grease in them as it is.

Something for a bored Apprentice, "here you go Son, stocks and dies pipe vice and a length of 32mm BE conduit, twenty nipples please cut them the same length as a normal 32mm coupler, oh and here is some Tallow to help cutting the thread, you won't need your Gym subscription this week either" see Sparking is give and take pays your wages and keeps you fit. wash your hands before you eat your Maccy Dees, there is enough grease in them as it is.
….and some of today's lads even use a machine to cut PVC conduit, eh?

….and some of today's lads even use a machine to cut PVC conduit, eh?
Softies then no stamina
[automerge]1578237879[/automerge]
few times when a runnibg coupler has beed advise, I've unscrewed he box, screwed it onto the conduit, the refitted. saves a bit of Galvafroid anyway.
You been taking spelling lessons from Buzz Tell?

Reply to How to mark conduit bender? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net