Discuss I was wondering what other Sparks offer standing out from other local competitors? Be good to hear and share to better ourselves ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I h e been installing emergency lights with Fuseboards that’s are in cupboards, under stairs or just anywhere awkward, on the same lighting circuit as the floor the boards located.

many years now on kitchens I’ve been installing all fused spurs into the back of one kitchen cupboard leaving only sockets and light switches on show.

label each live in a switch with heatshrink labels marking feeds and what switch wire is for what light. And in the Fuseboard label the lives into the MCB’s so if someone else goes to that job they don't have to keep looking at the cover if testing and also when it comes to a new Fuseboard in many years time then it’s all marked ready.

How do you ensure that the emergency light installation is tested and maintained correctly in a domestic installation?

Surely, because it is a nice to have type feature, not a requirement for safe evacuation
Regular testing to ensure it meets the standards required for emergency lighting is not required.

In the same way as a ups or standby generator in a domestic setting would not have to meet the same requirements as one installed in a mission critical part of a hospital

Obviously they would all have to be installed in a safe manner the same as any other electrical installation

Surely, because it is a nice to have type feature, not a requirement for safe evacuation
Regular testing to ensure it meets the standards required for emergency lighting is not required.

In the same way as a ups or standby generator in a domestic setting would not have to meet the same requirements as one installed in a mission critical part of a hospital

Obviously they would all have to be installed in a safe manner the same as any other electrical installation
Exactly, just a good idea and a nice touch.

I figure if you are the fourth employed investigator,to find a fault,and you not only find it,but take the time and patience,to explain it's cause,effects and remedy,to someone not experienced in such matters,yet has paid 3 invoices,already...

I believe there are no further bells,whistles or extras,required ? happy christmas?

Regular testing and maintainence is still required to keep it working correctly.
If it is not maintained then after a few years it will become effectively useless.
I don't see how it could be nice to have an emergency light which lasts for all of 30 seconds after a power failure?

Regular testing and maintainence is still required to keep it working correctly.
If it is not maintained then after a few years it will become effectively useless.
I don't see how it could be nice to have an emergency light which lasts for all of 30 seconds after a power failure?

I only install them if they’re under stairs that’s been built into a cupboard, in a garage, anywhere that I’d feel if the RCD tripped having that lighting circuit on its bank, wouldn’t be easily accessible. We all trained and know this Buick was, customers don’t and they panic when something happens. under the stairs I used to come across so many torches hanging up in the case of the electric tripping. I know it’s not gone down well with many of you but I’ve always had appreciation from customers who no longer have to feel around for that torch anymore and find out the batteries have died.
[automerge]1577313521[/automerge]
I like the idea of labelling cables to identify what they feed, but that does take a bit of time. Can you afford to do that?
[automerge]1577314279[/automerge]
I like the idea of labelling cables to identify what they feed, but that does take a bit of time. Can you afford to do that?

it does but I go through the plans at home and print them all off ready to label as I terminate.

Last edited:
Tbh I'm a fan of EM lighting next to the consumer unit, I can see the merit, especially for the elderly and vulnerable, as for testing you'd tack it onto the job price or break it down into chunks so it's not a huge expense.

DSES did a vid about winning jobs and his quite thorough scope of works, found they episode very interesting myself, even if the juicy bits are left out, it gives a starting point.

Most Em lights will work for years with little or no discharge tests, ok they may not stay lit for 3 Hours but in most cases they will stay on plenty long enough for the house owner to fudge around a little bit and reset the MCB.....

I have combined emergency downlights installed at the top of the stairs and above the front door by the consumer unit. There used to be frequent power cuts and these are most helpful. The smoke alarms, when activated, also switch on a number of lights in the house including all the hall and landing lights.

I used to offer a 30% discount to local pensioners , until I realised most of the pensioners I was doing work for had more money than working people.
It all dawned on me when i changed a bathroom light for an old boy my normal fee would have been £45 so did if for £30
He spent the whole time I was there telling me how he just ordered a brand new mercedes for £60,000 and was paying for it cash...

No more OAP discount from that day...
[automerge]1577359746[/automerge]
Most Em lights will work for years with little or no discharge tests, ok they may not stay lit for 3 Hours but in most cases they will stay on plenty long enough for the house owner to fudge around a little bit and reset the MCB.....

I guess the reality is an EM light in a domestic is just for show , it doesn't need to illuminate the way to the fire exit or escape route. Especially as most domesticated boards are sited under the stairs or in the garage on the wall.
If the EM light fails to work after a few years then the homeowner is no worse off than before. It just becomes and inanimate object...

Last edited:
I used to offer a 30% discount to local pensioners , until I realised most of the pensioners I was doing work for had more money than working people.
It all dawned on me when i changed a bathroom light for an old boy my normal fee would have been £45 so did if for £30
He spent the whole time I was there telling me how he just ordered a brand new mercedes for £60,000 and was paying for it cash...

No more OAP discount from that day...
[automerge]1577359746[/automerge]

I guess the reality is an EM light in a domestic is just for show , it doesn't need to illuminate the way to the fire exit or escape route. Especially as most domesticated boards are sited under the stairs or in the garage on the wall.
If the EM light fails to work after a few years then the homeowner is no worse off than before. It just becomes and inanimate object...
How did you domesticate the DB? Give it treats if it doesn't poo on the floor?

Lost photos from the job ?

Tbh I'm a fan of EM lighting next to the consumer unit, I can see the merit, especially for the elderly and vulnerable, as for testing you'd tack it onto the job price or break it down into chunks so it's not a huge expense.

DSES did a vid about winning jobs and his quite thorough scope of works, found they episode very interesting myself, even if the juicy bits are left out, it gives a starting point.

Attachments

• B23FB6FC-5EC0-46A2-A87A-64319D63B048.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 494B7D08-4221-4DE4-AE3B-7AAB72A1D8CE.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 58
  • EA2D9B5D-81CA-4531-9866-07F8282F8AEA.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 53
I find a very thorough outline of works as the first part of the quite does a good job of getting customer on board. I basically talk through the job step by step without jargon and then explain what materials are required and why I suggest certain makes etc.
I then cover time frames to complete the work, any requirements for part p or other things like tower hire.
Summarise it in easy to understand labour, materials extra and final price.
Final but is about company, its registration. Insurances and feedback.
Often commended on my quotes rather than a 1 sided bit of paper from others mine are detailed.

I used to write my quotes on the back of a smoke packet, tell em leccy was too complicated for their small minds to understand. Then when I started, tell em I've encounter serious problems that I couldn't possibly foreseen, and it was gonna cost considerably more.

Ohh and the certificate would be extra, a lot extra.

Only joking :)

Reply to I was wondering what other Sparks offer standing out from other local competitors? Be good to hear and share to better ourselves ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net