Discuss In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

there is a system available which uses standard steel conduit and the boxes have plain entries with a set screw to secure the conduit, i think it is called conlok.
I had a play with that once, didn't like it at all, the pipe entry holes were a bit big and the locking screws are tiny!

"Some Engineers" according to what the wall is used for, if its the inner skin of a cavity wall then is should be made good with a sand and cement this would be in the specification, in most case's the chase is left open for the spreads to fill with plaster, that is why "Some Engineers" are concerned, the inner leaf of a cavity wall can be 3.5N, 7N, or even up to 22N in a 3.5N block a chase filled with Bonding would be close the crushing strength of the block, but the Engineer can not rely on the site management or spreads to follow the specification, the days of the "Resident Engineer" have long gone and was the only way of ensuring the specification was followed, why Structural Engineers no longer have to spend six months on site before becoming qualified has baffled me for some time, this also applies to Architects, neither now days have any experience of what used to be called Buildabilty.

Regarding you point about rewiring it's always an advantage but in reality there is no way the bigger size T&E we now use can be pulled through. Oval conduit is already user unfriendly for rewires. I also don't think it is necessary to allow for future rewires (unless damaged).

I doubt the original intention was to provide for future rewiring, but it would be one added benefit in some cases. Obviously not every section of old conduit will serve that purpose, but think of 20mm round conduit dropping to a 1G switch plate - that's going to be easy to pull a cable through if the need arises.

I take it there's no chance of getting two legs of that new Irish T&E through 20mm?

I doubt the original intention was to provide for future rewiring, but it would be one added benefit in some cases. Obviously not every section of old conduit will serve that purpose, but think of 20mm round conduit dropping to a 1G switch plate - that's going to be easy to pull a cable through if the need arises.

I take it there's no chance of getting two legs of that new Irish T&E through 20mm?
If you pull 2 ends straight off the cable roller (no kinks), you will push them through a horizontal piece of 20mm pipe OK.

Your a lot younger than I thought, steel conduit drops where all about rewiring, using fabric covered cable needed this facility as the cable insulation deteriorated. :eek:

using fabric covered cable needed this facility as the cable insulation deteriorated.
I've come across quite a lot of both rubber and PVC insulated fabric covered conduit cable here, and it is often in excellent condition! Of course old rubber cables should be replaced as a matter or course...

Your a lot younger than I thought, steel conduit drops where all about rewiring, using fabric covered cable needed this facility as the cable insulation deteriorated. :eek:
I’d disagree with you steel conduit is used to enable the use of single core cabling to provide a suitable means of protection and also enhance the space of wiring in single core cable you wudn be wiring a new build council office in twin and earth through galv it is single core so I don’t think age is a factor in your post

It is when you take into account when conduit drops where the normal thing to do, all switch's and sockets where cabled by a steel conduit vertical drop form the roof or floor void above or below, there where never any horizontal or zones, it was just straight drops to the sunken box, but as you say T&E did not exist it was always single core cable. It also made it simple, you just did not drill above or below a switch or socket.

It is when you take into account when conduit drops where the normal thing to do, all switch's and sockets where cabled by a steel conduit vertical drop form the roof or floor void above or below, there where never any horizontal or zones, it was just straight drops to the sunken box, but as you say T&E did not exist it was always single core cable.
All the drops I have done have gone into steel trunking and required a 90 degree bend sometimes included a set or double or even bubble at worst case lol I suppose different jobs have different specs but my experience with galv is that it’s galv all the way

never got the hang of that steel conduit stuff. put it on the bender. hit it with a sledgehammer to bend it... it squashed flat.

To be said in a broad Yorkshire accent: Eye when I where a lad, who'd of thought I'd be on ere talking about conduit drops in galvanised steel.

never got the hang of that steel conduit stuff. put it on the bender. hit it with a sledgehammer to bend it... it squashed flat.
A man of your experience should know better ?‍♂️
[automerge]1599252909[/automerge]
To be said in a broad Yorkshire accent: Eye when I where a lad, who'd of thought I'd be on ere talking about conduit drops in galvanised steel.
Who thought that times would change hey

I can only comment on that which I've encountered in domestic properties in NI and have very limited experience of this subject.

In my lifetime it was originally oval conduit and latterly round. These have all been one form of plastic or other.

I can only comment on that which I've encountered in domestic properties in NI and have very limited experience of this subject.

In my lifetime it was originally oval conduit and latterly round. These have all been one form of plastic or other.
You don’t tend to have steel conduit in domestic properties mate, oval pvc conduit or capping is more common, steel conduit is more commercial, industrial although I wudn be surprised if domestic rewires in 10 years time will have to be done in steel conduit with less money that is currently paid for a Rewire is disgraceful the lack of appreciation shown for sparks in most cases

You don’t tend to have steel conduit in domestic properties mate, oval pvc conduit or capping is more common, steel conduit is more commercial, industrial although I wudn be surprised if domestic rewires in 10 years time will have to be done in steel conduit with less money that is currently paid for a Rewire is disgraceful the lack of appreciation shown for sparks in most cases

The thread seems to be covering quite a range of situations, but I'd originally commented on posts that related to the slightly different practices employed in NI. Here capping is unheard of in domestic properies and PVC conduit is used anywhere that cables run in solid walls.

The thread seems to be covering quite a range of situations, but I'd originally commented on posts that related to the slightly different practices employed in NI. Here capping is unheard of in domestic properies and PVC conduit is used anywhere that cables run in solid walls.
What? Capping unheard of? PVC conduit run “IN” solid walls not “ON” is that what you do in Ireland?

Yes do it the easiest way you can, nailing a PVC capping over a T&E and calling it protected is the way the industry goes now days, it took a lot of skill and dedication to put in a steel conduit, even if it was just a straight drop or rise out of the floor, but as with everything, time is the biggest factor now days, speaking of which it's time I went to bed, goodnight all.

Reply to In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net