Discuss In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If new builds in the U.K. were required to be wired using galvanise conduit the price of wiring a new build house would sky rocket...
probably double if not triple the per unit price to wire them...
the only real advantage To using conduit in a house would be in 60 years time when it comes to rewiring them would be a piece of cake...

If new builds in the U.K. were required to be wired using galvanise conduit the price of wiring a new build house would sky rocket...
probably double if not triple the per unit price to wire them...
the only real advantage To using conduit in a house would be in 60 years time when it comes to rewiring them would be a piece of cake...
yes but UK regs. for new builds are slap it in any old how, cover it up, next job. and that's everything, not just electrics.

yes but UK regs. for new builds are slap it in any old how, cover it up, next job. and that's everything, not just electrics.

rough as a badgers in most cases, I know a sparks / plumber Handyman guy who does Some work for one of the big developers and his work rough as ----.
he can lash in cable and polypipe so badly it would make you cry.
i foolishly got him to do some plumbing for me last year and all the joints leaked the day after he left... utter shambles

This is a photo off the web of home being built in the Chicago area, Chicago, & a number of it's suburbs only allow EMT when wiring homes, no flexible wiring methods like NM cable, AKA "Romex®", MC, Metal Clad cable, or AC, Armored Cable. The claim is that it is a result of the Chicago fire, but is more likely make work rules forced by unions.
That is a nice looking building going up!

I can kind of see the point, EMT is pretty flame containing and it makes inspection easy (EMT yes/no?, not Hmm, is this cable of one of the approved types for this circuit?) but it also looks like a bit of a power-grab by the union, and other cables are quite safe when used appropriately. Still, hopefully least to higher standards than often seen in new builds.

The other think is how often is it fixed wiring that is at fault? I would expect it is the appliances and their flex that cause most fires.

Also another odd difference that I heard from @Megawatt is that USA generally has its GFCI/AFCI at the outlets, where as in the UK/Europe it is normal to have them at the breaker board so they protect the fixed wiring from faults (or limit the risk to DIYers drilling walls for a new shelf) as well as attached equipment.

This is a photo off the web of home being built in the Chicago area
I like that. I'm sure If EMT was available here we would use conduit more. The screwed steel we have here is a bit 'heavy duty' for regular use. I did install some more 25 and 32mm galv today, yes I measured out all the bends.

I like that. I'm sure If EMT was available here we would use conduit more. The screwed steel we have here is a bit 'heavy duty' for regular use. I did install some more 25 and 32mm galv today, yes I measured out all the bends.

I tend to agree , if we had a lighter gauge steel conduit which could be easily bent with a hand bender and Used grub screw couplers (No more threading) then way more jobs would be done in conduit

I tend to agree , if we had a lighter gauge steel conduit which could be easily bent with a hand bender and Used grub screw couplers (No more threading) then way more jobs would be done in conduit
Sounds like a business opportunity there, unfortunately in this rush rush world it would certainly slow the job down and would end up like all good ideas.

Sounds like a business opportunity there, unfortunately in this rush rush world it would certainly slow the job down and would end up like all good ideas.
i would certainly try to use it where possible, but as you say it will still be slower than throwing in T&e.
probably why Micc isn’t used as much These days , it takes time to prepare the ends which just adds to the labour costs.
in amErica & Canada they also use a lot of MC cable (looks a bit like a shower hose) but we don’t seem to use that either and I’m not sure why we don’t...

MC is all prewired and available in various sizes , it’s in effect their version of swa,.
its a lot quicker to install than swa thou , you simply strip off the outer sheath using a special tool and it terminates into a box with a simple push in gland like we do with kopex...
[automerge]1599198636[/automerge]

[automerge]1599198679[/automerge]
Brief video on using mc / ac prewired flex conduit

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8517_Yg7xs4

Last edited:
going by OP's pic.,not surprised the USA need sprinklers in new properies when they build them out of highly combustible wood. still, suppose it's amn attempt to save the planet by chopping down trees that pollute the air with oxygen derived from poor old CO2.

That is a nice looking building going up!

I can kind of see the point, EMT is pretty flame containing and it makes inspection easy (EMT yes/no?, not Hmm, is this cable of one of the approved types for this circuit?) but it also looks like a bit of a power-grab by the union, and other cables are quite safe when used appropriately. Still, hopefully least to higher standards than often seen in new builds.

The other think is how often is it fixed wiring that is at fault? I would expect it is the appliances and their flex that cause most fires.

Also another odd difference that I heard from @Megawatt is that USA generally has its GFCI/AFCI at the outlets, where as in the UK/Europe it is normal to have them at the breaker board so they protect the fixed wiring from faults (or limit the risk to DIYers drilling walls for a new shelf) as well as attached equipment.
Don't want to go off topic here but I think that pc1966 has hit on what should be a very, very significant thread "how often has FIXED WIRING caused fires"?

if we had a lighter gauge steel conduit which could be easily bent with a hand bender and Used grub screw couplers (No more threading) then way more jobs would be done in conduit

In the 20's and 30's, VIR in slip conduit (i.e. unthreaded) was common in UK domestic and light commercial work, with lug-grip and pin-grip fittings. These developed a reputation for not making reliable contact and slip was considered by some writers to be a poor substitute for 'proper' conduit. Some of it was pretty shoddy, and the cheapest tube was not even seam welded and unsuitable for bending. There were some patented fittings that were supposed to give better contact; galvanised tube and fittings would have worked much better but at the time were too expensive.

So there was probably a strong incentive to move on from this inferior conduit system that offered neither the strength and reliable earthing of screwed work, nor the speed and ease of installation of TRS or lead-sheathed (the latter being truly moisture-proof in a way that no slip conduit was).

We had a few proprietary systems a bit like MC, e.g. the Hartley Octopus braided cables, but for whatever reason it was SWA that achieved widespread popularity and adoption into the standards and regs.

there is a system available which uses standard steel conduit and the boxes have plain entries with a set screw to secure the conduit, i think it is called conlok.

It has been used in a couple of buildings locally and I can confirm it looks as bad as it sounds. the connections to the boxes all appear to end up skewed and prone to falling apart with the slightest impact.
[automerge]1599232526[/automerge]
see here for conlok

and they've also come up with 'rollatray' what an amazingly crap looking product that is!

Last edited:
In domestic situations I've only seen PVC conduit used. Others will be better placed to explain why it is used in every installation, but I always thought the basics were to protect the cable from trowels and also make future repairs or additions more straightforward.

My experience is minimal, but I've replaced cables by pulling through 30 or 40 year old oval conduit and was extremely grateful for it being there.
Yes the pvc pipe will protect from trowels etc but also from chemical damage caused by anything acidic in plaster/cement etc.
Like you up there in N. I. we don't use capping. Also don't know why, but I like it. Looks, easier to install and saves a whole lot of chasing. Chasing walls has come into focus more recently as some engineers are (understandably) unhappy with compromising the integrity of the inner leaf of the cavity. Regarding you point about rewiring it's always an advantage but in reality there is no way the bigger size T&E we now use can be pulled through. Oval conduit is already user unfriendly for rewires. I also don't think it is necessary to allow for future rewires (unless damaged). Pulled out some red and black T&E yesterday (a rare site down here) from the 70,s and it was in mint condition

Reply to In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net