Discuss In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What? Capping unheard of? PVC conduit run “IN” solid walls not “ON” is that what you do in Ireland?

Conduit chased into walls, which the rest of the UK seems to think is crazy.

I can not state with absolute certainty that every spark works to the same standards, but accepted practice is to chase for conduit (pvc) and boxes before any cables are run.

To expand on this; on new builds the electrician will usually mark up walls and bring in another company to do the chasing as that's cheaper than doing so with their own time.

What? Capping unheard of? PVC conduit run “IN” solid walls not “ON” is that what you do in Ireland?
Yes do it the easiest way you can, nailing a PVC capping over a T&E and calling it protected is the way the industry goes now days, it took a lot of skill and dedication to put in a steel conduit, even if it was just a straight drop or rise out of the floor, but as with everything, time is the biggest factor now days, speaking of which it's time I went to bed, goodnight all.
steel conduit in domestic is not normal just capping is, goodnight ?
[automerge]1599255269[/automerge]
Conduit chased into walls, which the rest of the UK seems to think is crazy.

I can not state with absolute certainty that every spark works to the same standards, but accepted practice is to chase for conduit and boxes before any cables are run.
Depends what your talking about? There is a whole variety of specs some have surface conduit some have buried but yes all the containment is generally run in prior to installing cable that’s usually on the schedule of works and timescales but not in domestic works? Not talking about domestic rewires surely?

Last edited:
Depends what your talking about? There is a whole variety of specs some have surface conduit some have buried but yes all the containment is generally run in prior to installing cable that’s usually on the schedule of works and timescales but not in domestic works? Not talking about domestic rewires surely?

I've never known any electrician in NI to not use conduit when running buried cable down solid walls in a domestic property, whether it be a new installation or a rewire. It's standard practice over here.

I've never known any electrician in NI to not use conduit when running buried cable down solid walls in a domestic property, whether it be a new installation or a rewire. It's standard practice over here.
Wow! Conduit all the way over there then! Steel or pvc?
[automerge]1599255974[/automerge]
Have the sparks heard of capping?

Wow! Conduit all the way over there then! Steel or pvc?
[automerge]1599255974[/automerge]

Have the sparks heard of capping?

PVC.

To be clear; I'm commenting only on domestic properties as I have no experience of commercial installations.

This house is three years old and round PVC conduit will be bushed into every box. There would be no issue with undercutting on price as every electrician will be expected to do this. As one previous poster had commented; an electrician would be laughed or thrown off site if they placed capping over cables, in place of conduit.

PVC.

To be clear; I'm commenting only on domestic properties as I have no experience of commercial installations.

This house is three years old and round PVC conduit will be bushed into every box. There would be no issue with undercutting on price as every electrician will be expected to do this. As one previous poster had commented; an electrician would be laughed or thrown off site if they placed capping over cables, in place of conduit.
Thrown off site? No you mean if the spark didn’t follow the spec for the job in question then he would be thrown off site. If it was a requirement to provide cabling in pvc conduit prior to commencement of works then of course that would be what the spark would do. So why would capping be laughed at? We are clearly on different wave lengths here. What about your occupied social rewires which I was doing in 1 day with a 3 man team? Do your sparks do that also?

Thrown off site? No you mean if the spark didn’t follow the spec for the job in question then he would be thrown off site. If it was a requirement to provide cabling in pvc conduit prior to commencement of works then of course that would be what the spark would do. So why would capping be laughed at? We are clearly on different wave lengths here. What about your occupied social rewires which I was doing in 1 day with a 3 man team? Do your sparks do that also?

I do not know whether or not any regulation mandates the use of conduit in such circumstances here, but it is standard practice.

Others will be better placed to comment as my experience is extremely limited, but I've never seen capping used over here or cables buried directly in plaster. This practice extends back at least over many decades.

I do not know whether or not any regulation mandates the use of conduit in such circumstances here, but it is standard practice.

Others will be better placed to comment as my experience is extremely limited, but I've never seen capping used over here or cables buried directly in plaster. This practice extends back at least over many decades.
Well you sound very experienced in my eyes and good that you voice your opinion, there are many regulations I can’t be arsed to go into all of them but to simplify it is to have rcd protection and all is well then. I’m sure most on here will agree that whilst carrying out a Rewire On domestic property will use capping Or oval conduit, unless it’s surface mounted and in that case it is trunking and with new regs fitted with fire clips.

Well you sound very experienced in my eyes and good that you voice your opinion, there are many regulations I can’t be arsed to go into all of them but to simplify it is to have rcd protection and all is well then. I’m sure most on here will agree that whilst carrying out a Rewire On domestic property will use capping Or oval conduit, unless it’s surface mounted and in that case it is trunking and with new regs fitted with fire clips.

I wouldn't argue against practices commonly employed in other parts of the UK, although the use of conduit here does have certain advantages - primarily the ease with which a cable could often be replaced if necessary.

I wouldn't argue against practices commonly employed in other parts of the UK, although the use of conduit here does have certain advantages - primarily the ease with which a cable could often be replaced if necessary.
If it’s been rewired then shudn need to be replaced same thing with capping really so no advantage with conduit

Different coloured conduit... but all their currency is the same colour ???
Worse - the same size as well!
[automerge]1599311851[/automerge]
It is good practice for many reasons!

And if it is part of local building regulations, or standard terms of contracts to install stuff, then you get it done properly everywhere. Sadly the folk putting stuff in (or defining how it should be done) are rarely the folks having to make repairs or rewires in the future.

For some more pipe work, check out conduit ---- at reddit.

@norcal I’m not impressed when I run conduit there is no discrepancies in the gaps between my conduit and I measure center to center. Some of it looked good but the conduit on the right coming out of the top of that one Panel personally I would have made them tear it out and start over.

Would it not be better to run fewer but bigger conduits...?
I have seen videos of these type of conduit installations in America with dozens of small gauge conduits running from box to box with one cable per conduit.
seems such a waste of raw materials (not to mention labour) when you could run 4 or 5 circuits in one slightly bigger conduit....

there is that , also drawing multiple cables together runs the risk of burning / chaffing the basic insulation.
i still can’t help thinking if I have to get 5 cables (circuits) from A to B there must be a better solution than 5 completely separate conduit pipes...

Reply to In your country, do you use pipe to run wire through very much? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net