Discuss interesting chat yesterday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest111

I was doing an eicr for a friend of mine, she, s just bought a house, anyway in walks the man from BG to do a gas safety check.He gets talking to me and asks what the earth loop is, so I tells him 0.19 oh good so long as it, s below 1 that, s fine by me he replied.He then got on about bonding the gas and apparently they accept the bond being 600mm from meter even if there is a tee before the clamp, now correct me if I, m wrong here but I understood that the bond had to be before any branches in the pipework, seems they work to their own rules.MInd you I had the last laugh, he wanted to fail the gas fire as she had no manual, fortunately I downloaded one of the internet.

Gas regs refer to BS7671 but state 600mm for the purpose of being easily identified, i.e. you don't have to go looking for it. States for PME systems its the law and clamp should be before any branch. So he has not fully complied with regs

Do enlighten us.
Love to but cannot. I am doing my ACS for non-domestic gas but have some domestic gas regs books to hand. I have quoted directly from the domestic regs book. The non-domestic regs book does not reference a law just re-iterates BS7671 and a competent person doing the earthing etc. ACS qualifications are quite different to electricity, they are much more binary and when sitting the exams you have to get 100%.

Love to but cannot. I am doing my ACS for non-domestic gas but have some domestic gas regs books to hand. I have quoted directly from the domestic regs book. The non-domestic regs book does not reference a law just re-iterates BS7671 and a competent person doing the earthing etc. ACS qualifications are quite different to electricity, they are much more binary and when sitting the exams you have to get 100%.

Tel will back me up on this.

Many moons ago I started a thread on here to show how wrong BS7671 is regarding gas piping. I resorted to maths and physics to prove my point. Weird for this place I know.
There was the usual rhetoric of the “regulations say”. When BS7671 is wrong and is only recommendations what do you do?

PS regarding natural gas installations, we burnt 21M Ft³ per day.

Reply to interesting chat yesterday in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net