Discuss Inverter Lifespan in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Average lifespan of reputable inverter

• 5-7 years.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 8-10 years.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 11-14 years.

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • 15-20 years.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Over 20 years.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F

FB.

What would you expect to be the average useful lifespan of a solar PV inverter from respected manufacturers such as SMA, Fronius, Powerone?

Options:

5-7 years.
8-10 years.
11-14 years.
15-20 years.
Over 20 years.
Don't know.

it all depends on how it's been installed, how warm it is during operation, how dusty it gets, if it ever gets the heat fins and fans dusted, if the fan is replaced fairly quickly after it fails or the inverter's just left to gradually die after the fan fails etc.

Assuming it's installed in a cool clean environment, and the owner keeps a bit of an eye on it, replaces the fan quickly if it does fail etc then I'd expect them to average over 20 years.

If you're asking about what the actual average is likely to be across all installations in the country... probably somewhere in the the 15-20 year range.

If they last 20 years the inverter companys wont be selling many, they will need new installations to keep them going and if they are built like the inverter drives of 10 years ago they wont. The capacitors degrade. I tell my customers that might need to change the inverter in 10 years, most are not bothered, seeing that they are mostly retired.

If the system is well designed I'd expect it to comfortably exceed the manufacturer's warranty period. So much depends on the actual circumstances. I'd agree that if it survives the first year, it should last many more.

If you're asking about what the actual average is likely to be across all installations in the country... probably somewhere in the the 15-20 year range.

With most inverters in discreet places (such as lofts), and with most people likely to not really notice a performance problem, I guess your answer should be 15-20 years if you haven't yet voted. :)

I have taken a fronius TL apart and the fan is no different from a PC fan.

I've not pulled my Aurora apart but I'd got the distinct impression from the noise and the size of the air inlets on the indoor version, that the fan would be along the lines of a PC fan.

If they cant make a TV last more than 5 years then you can bet your boots inverters will not last 15 years. I would say 10 years would be good going.

So how much would you - or other electrical companies - be likely to charge someone to replace an inverter's fan?
it's a user serviceable part on most of the SMA inverters - you don't even need a screwdriver to do it on the HF inverters.

how much we'd charge would depend on distance, but it's a 1 hour job at most (possibly a bit more as we'd probably want to retest the system while we were there just to double check everything else was fine), so I'd be surprised if it worked out at more than £100, probably more like £75 inc parts and fitting.

If they cant make a TV last more than 5 years then you can bet your boots inverters will not last 15 years. I would say 10 years would be good going.
the tv I'm watching is at least 15 years old and still going strong.

In fact looking around the room I can see a pair of 40 yearold speakers, a 30 year old hifi amp, 20 year CD, tape and record player, all working fine (well, actually the amp has developed a bit of a glitch, but still works after a bit of a tap).

Good quality electrical kit can last a long time, cheap tat won't.

In fact looking around the room I can see a pair of 40 yearold speakers, a 30 year old hifi amp, 20 year CD, tape and record player, all working fine (well, actually the amp has developed a bit of a glitch, but still works after a bit of a tap).

It will be interesting to see how panels cope with ageing. I expect them to last much longer than the inverter, but I do wonder how long Sanyo panels will last compared to perceived lower-quality (Chinese) alternatives.
At the moment, I see a Sanyo-panelled system as being about 50% more expensive, but only 10% more generation (and that's subjective). Whether the quality will remain long after the price is forgotten, we'll have to see.

Tapes CD records someone stuck in 70-80-90's

I went to SMA a couple of years ago and they were quite confident of the inverter lasting about 20 years installed correctly this wasn't the salesmen talking but some of the Engineers, of course there will be some which will fail earlier, there's always a percentage of any manufactured item which will have shorter lifespans than others.

I'm inclined to believe them as I asked what the average age of inverters returned for repairs etc was, and the answer was 16 years for inverters installed for more than one year but the number of inverters returned in their first year was unpredictable as even though rigorous tests are carried out they don't compare to real life installed scenarios and they learn where the problems are and make changes throughout the production run of the inverter model, this seemed to me to be a fairly honest sounding reply and fits the idea of ''if it lasts a year it'll do many more'' .

In todays competitive sales spiel driven markets I would expect that if the same question was asked of some other companies I'm sure the figure given would be 20 years plus and they never get returns etc
They also said it was sensible to factor in the cost of a replacement for a system expected to last around 30 years

I asked the same of Power-One's technical manager for the Uk, and got the answer that the better models had a design life of 25-30 years in optimum conditions.

they have the advantage of not having external fans to get clogged up and fail, but the disadvantage of the fan unit not being user serviceable as it's internal.

I asked the same of Power-One's technical manager for the Uk, and got the answer that the better models had a design life of 25-30 years in optimum conditions.

they have the advantage of not having external fans to get clogged up and fail, but the disadvantage of the fan unit not being user serviceable as it's internal.

Interesting! where does it get its air from then? does it circulate the air within the inverter which would be pointless or does it draw it from outside the enclosure leaving you with a fan that will still "clog up and fail" but is not user servicable.
If the cooling fan is so critical why are inverters often installed in loft spaces where the ambient temperature can easily hit 50 degrees, just when the inverter is working hardest. That has got to be a recipe for a shortened lifespan.

I am on my second TV in 7 years and this one has had to be repaired due to an inherant capacitor problem.

There will be a lot of PV systems sat on roofs with failed inverters that customers just wont have the money to repair.

Interesting! where does it get its air from then? does it circulate the air within the inverter which would be pointless or does it draw it from outside the enclosure leaving you with a fan that will still "clog up and fail" but is not user servicable.
If the cooling fan is so critical why are inverters often installed in loft spaces where the ambient temperature can easily hit 50 degrees, just when the inverter is working hardest. That has got to be a recipe for a shortened lifespan.

I am on my second TV in 7 years and this one has had to be repaired due to an inherant capacitor problem.

There will be a lot of PV systems sat on roofs with failed inverters that customers just wont have the money to repair.

Sometimes it is because there is no viable alternative, and if this is the case an inverter with a derating temperatire of 50 degrees + would be needed and the loft will need adequate ventilation in the form of a ridge vent above the inverter if there isnt already one there. Sometimes though unfortunately it is because the installer doesn't know any better and simply its "we always install in the loft space" which we have heard many times even when there is a viable garage space where the consumer unit and suppliers meter is which will be much cooler or space under the stairs etc.

Reply to Inverter Lifespan in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net