Discuss Is this against regulations? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Only time ive ever done it is to get from floor to floor usually on a rewire. But my preferred option is to find a cupboard and use trunking instead

Thats not dot and dab. Just plastered.

What if there is no other easy way of getting cables between floors?? I disagree with anyone who thinks this electrician did wrong. The regs clearly state within 150mm of a corner and they have complied with this

I'm not criticising the fact the cables needed to be put there, my point is that there were hidden with no external box identifying that they were running along this line. For a layman like myself I was unaware of the 150mm rule and have only looked for sockets etc and avoided vertical or horizontal lines to them.

Only time ive ever done it is to get from floor to floor usually on a rewire. But my preferred option is to find a cupboard and use trunking instead

This was a cupboard, again that's why I'm surprised they were hidden underneath as elsewhere in the cupboard there is trunking running wires externally rather than under the plaster. I don't understand why they'd need to be hidden away at all in an under stair cupboard.

I'm not criticising the fact the cables needed to be put there, my point is that there were hidden with no external box identifying that they were running along this line. For a layman like myself I was unaware of the 150mm rule and have only looked for sockets etc and avoided vertical or horizontal lines to them.

I think only sparks are aware of safe zones. Another fxck up from the idiots that come up with such rules and regs. They need to publicise it, and not to sparks!

Looking at the picture only, are you sure there was not a heating control on that wall where the temporary junction box is?

I only ask due to the cable capping being cut so well, height of it, spacing of it, location of it, the holes in the wall are the same shape/size of a back box fitting. Also why did your electrician start taking off plaster at that point and not at the holes you have drilled level to the shelving brackets?

Cable faults via drilling through plaster we normally look at the point where it was drilled, not a foot above it? Then we repair it where it is damaged using different methods suitable to the fault. Never seen a "drilling fault" fixed by randomly taking off plaster a foot above and installing a junction box??

All the required design information should have been included in the job pack at handover on completion of the install along with the certs, and then passed to the homeowner. This should include cable routings etc etc. Although the only types of installation where BS7671 states this are Agricultural/Horticultural, it is still good practice to give this info for any installation. I always did this, and kept a copy myself in case i ever had to go back for any reason. Its a small detail, that could have saved a lot of grief. Does the work comply, i don't know, i would need to see it to comment.

Cheers.............Howard

To answer the OP's initial questions,this is par for the course,on a new build,did a repair years back,in a brand new 4 bed job,customer found shower feed cable,fitting shelf on wall in bedroom (studded) bathroom being next door. Your other query regarding NHBC insurance,forget it,they have have swerved every defect i am aware of personally,including one large,detached 5 bedroom new-build,that had NO working drains,an incorrectly installed Bio-filter system(that incurred ÂŁ1200 worth of damage due to the fitting) and an illegal outfall from topwater....they are almost like a scheme...that has a fee...and is of little use...with no consequence...sounds familiar...:icon12:

Looking at the picture only, are you sure there was not a heating control on that wall where the temporary junction box is?

I only ask due to the cable capping being cut so well, height of it, spacing of it, location of it, the holes in the wall are the same shape/size of a back box fitting. Also why did your electrician start taking off plaster at that point and not at the holes you have drilled level to the shelving brackets?

Cable faults via drilling through plaster we normally look at the point where it was drilled, not a foot above it? Then we repair it where it is damaged using different methods suitable to the fault. Never seen a "drilling fault" fixed by randomly taking off plaster a foot above and installing a junction box??

No the wall was completely flat with nothing showing at all. The holes you see are where a bracket was placed that has sice even taken down, if you look again you'll see the holes I've drilled in the wall where he's cut the plaster away. The electrician started at the bottom still hole and on seeing the cabling running directly up through several other holes I had drilled checked for further damage to the cable, which unfortunately there was. The fuse didn't trip until the very last hole at the bottom so I had no idea I'd already gone through several times.

Off track a bit as it's Christmas. I wonder how many nails, pins etc will be put into walls especially in the corners for Christmas decorations etc? The mind boggles. Installations like above, the cables are only the depth of skimming! I've also wondered about people putting in wireless PIR's which are generally sited in the corners of rooms.

Reply to Is this against regulations? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net