Discuss Is this really correct? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

DW what if we have a nail that goes exactly through a LINE conductor, but does not damage or touch the NEUTRAL/EARTH conductors ................ There is just a good a chance that will become live as your pipe.

To me it is risk assessment, IMO there is more of a danger that you make the installation less safe by bonding metal work that are non extraneous conductive parts, that the scenarios we have mentioned.

I totally agree there is more danger in yours, than mine and a damaged cable under a floor in the bathroom can touch a pipe there and transfer down to a sink with someone touching across it, but there is also the danger of under a fault condition that pipe become live because you bonded it.

For me it is just the blanket if it plastic incoming, metal inside .....bond it .............regardless of what it is. I just think it takes the not thinking for ourselves away from us

DW what if we have a nail that goes exactly through a LINE conductor, but does not damage or touch the NEUTRAL/EARTH conductors ................ There is just a good a chance that will become live as your pipe.

To me it is risk assessment, IMO there is more of a danger that you make the installation less safe by bonding metal work that are non extraneous conductive parts, that the scenarios we have mentioned.

I totally agree there is more danger in yours, than mine and a damaged cable under a floor in the bathroom can touch a pipe there and transfer down to a sink with someone touching across it, but there is also the danger of under a fault condition that pipe become live because you bonded it.

For me it is just the blanket if it plastic incoming, metal inside .....bond it .............regardless of what it is. I just think it takes the not thinking for ourselves away from us

I agree it is risk asses' but not knowing your age here, i can remember niceic telling us to bond ceiling grid work, then following year not required, same with sinks etc ive seen some of these circumstances repeat more than once and at the time were regs, its seems to be less strict now but i can only assume the mass introduction of RCD on most circuits now means bonding is not the bees knees it once was and can be relaxed under certain circumstances. Im probably more set in my ways through experience where ive seen lack of such bonding result in someone getting nasty shock, now times are a changing and an RCD would have minimised said shock had it been reg's in them days.

Well mate i'm a bit older than you ............:arabia: .....................not as old as Tel though.

If you take my house the incomer is plastic to the SC. Then copper into the downstairs Bathroom, but then tee of into the sink and shower with plastic.

The copper goes on to kitchen where it was completely rerouted because we moved the boiler. It tees off into the kitchen in plastic but then carries on to the outhouses in copper.............so I could bond the that pipe.

We plastic up to the boiler upstairs. In kitchen though the pipework going upstairs is copper to the bathroom and the en-suites, we fed the riser from the plastic pipe, Now the en-suite is not been touched pipe wise so it's all copper, but the bathroom is tee off in plastic from the riser, and does the bath, shower handbasin etc. so plastic ok.

But unfortunately 2 bedrooms have vanity sinks and all these are still in copper that are teed of that plastic bathroom pipe ......................at this rate I would have BS 951 clamps everywhere.

I don't have main bonding because it is plastic incomer, and I IR every pipework in the outhouse and the bathrooms and none are extraneous conductive parts

Well mate i'm a bit older than you ............:arabia: .....................not as old as Tel though.

If you take my house the incomer is plastic to the SC. Then copper into the downstairs Bathroom, but then tee of into the sink and shower with plastic.

The copper goes on to kitchen where it was completely rerouted because we moved the boiler. It tees off into the kitchen in plastic but then carries on to the outhouses in copper.............so I could bond the that pipe.

We plastic up to the boiler upstairs. In kitchen though the pipework going upstairs is copper to the bathroom and the en-suites, we fed the riser from the plastic pipe, Now the en-suite is not been touched pipe wise so it's all copper, but the bathroom is tee off in plastic from the riser, and does the bath, shower handbasin etc. so plastic ok.

But unfortunately 2 bedrooms have vanity sinks and all these are still in copper that are teed of that plastic bathroom pipe ......................at this rate I would have BS 951 clamps everywhere.

I don't have main bonding because it is plastic incomer, and I IR every pipework in the outhouse and the bathrooms and none are extraneous conductive parts

Does it make any difference that all this pipework is linked by conductive water, so even if a live cable was to touch a metal pipe would it not effect someone touching the pipework that is the other end of a bit of plastic pipe?? If that makes sense???

Does it make any difference that all this pipework is linked by conductive water, so even if a live cable was to touch a metal pipe would it not effect someone touching the pipework that is the other end of a bit of plastic pipe?? If that makes sense???

I seem to remember reading of an experiment by Chris Kitching in his Inspection & Testing book in which he proved that water is not such a good conductor of electricity as some of us think it is.

The section in the book is the one about bonding plastic pipes ........ or not.

I have to say I dont get the fixation with pipes being live,or becoming live....it just doesnt happen. Most of the copper sections of pipework will be earthed anyway by means of being in contact with conductive parts such as M/V's....immersion heaters....boilers etc. Often those who claim to be getting shocks off live pipes are mistaken anyway. Example.....I got called out to a property where a plumber was changing a boiler and claimed all the pipes were live,he refused to carry on until it was sorted. What in fact had happened was he had caused a bit of a flood draining down,and in an adjacent larder a cable dropped through a hole in the floor,this cable had been chewed by rodents and the live core was exposed. Water had reached the cable and plumber boy was kneeling in it,every time he touched a pipe,which was earthed,he got a shock via the water on the floor. Of course he assumed the pipes were live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note on the conductivity of water. I worked on a 1200V system that could be loaded up to 4000A. To keep the flexible conductors cool water was pumped though them. There was very close monitoring of earth leakage that would trip at 50mA. It never gave a problem.

Just a note on the conductivity of water. I worked on a 1200V system that could be loaded up to 4000A. To keep the flexible conductors cool water was pumped though them. There was very close monitoring of earth leakage that would trip at 50mA. It never gave a problem.

Yep,Water has its uses mixing with those charged electrons
icon14.png

This is one that surprises the sceptics
'Hot-Washing' the Insulators of a 500,000 Volt Power Line! - YouTube

Yep,Water has its uses mixing with those charged electrons
icon14.png

This is one that surprises the sceptics
'Hot-Washing' the Insulators of a 500,000 Volt Power Line! - YouTube

I've had a go at that myself, scary at first shot, ...then fun!! But i might add Not at 500K volts, just 33KV and 66KV. It's the standard way of cleaning lines and insulators. One guy here doesn't believe they use this method, for cleaning MV/HV transmission lines, ...just been proved very wrong hasn't he!! lol!!

I've had a go at that myself, scary at first shot, ...then fun!! But i might add Not at 500K volts, just 33KV and 66KV. It's the standard way of cleaning lines and insulators. One guy here doesn't believe they use this method, for cleaning MV/HV transmission lines, ...just been proved very wrong hasn't he!! lol!!

Must admire you for doing that
icon14.png

Even being aware of the properties of water and its interaction with electrics I still wouldn't do it :blush5:
Go up in an hellicopter I mean ,of course lol

Reply to Is this really correct? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net