Discuss Job Agencies - do you work for them? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am thinking about giving up my permanent job to start on my own. I was thinking that i would try to get some work threw agencies like OSR and such. If I understand correctly i could work for them by being self employed.

Any experiences? Are they ok? can they provide enough work?

Some are, some aren't; the main agency I use is a one man operation who seems ok - he's provided me with a fair amount of work in the past and he's happy to negotiate different options eg when I started I was still at college which didn't seem to be a problem, while other agencies wouldn't even consider me for employment.

The most recent agency I've worked for are slightly larger and it shows. When you call them they haven't got a clue who you are, don't seem to know what each other are doing and really don't care about their temps - I had to have a few weeks off due to an injury at work and they basically spoke to me as if I was just a nuisance because they would "have to" replace me. I spoke to someone working directly for the client and they seemed fine with it and happy for me to go back - it seemed the agency just wanted to have someone on the job continuously so they get their commission.

National agencies like Hays, Adecco, Reed etc don't seem to be worth bothering with - they seem happy for me to fill in a massive form, then they always tell me they haven't got any jobs.

Bear in mind there isn't a lot of work around at the moment (there may be a rush on in the last week of the school holidays) so firms seem to prefer to have their guys working weekends rather than using agency staff.

I think it depends what you hope to do or where you want to work. Some of the big "projects" will only use 1 or 2 of the big agencies. So you have to fill in the 101 page forms and go through the weeks of security checks etc etc. They will normally take you on as PAYE (employed through the agent) or self employed (which attracts a higher rate, as you have to deal with your tax etc.)

Cant comment if your only looking for local domestic type work!

Good luck anyway.

YOU need your head examining M8y giving up a permanant job to go work for agencies ????

I have worked for loads of agencies over the years some good some not so good promis you the earth and deliver nothing as for the CIS route yes it does pay a higher rate BUT you dont get holiday pay No sick pay no travel time Same rate day/night/back silly shift IMO in the current climate id satay put

Reply to Job Agencies - do you work for them? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net