Discuss Lamp Voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shaun O'Brien

I am currently studying a HNC in building services.
I've been asked to find out typical voltage usage for the following lamps.

Standard Incandescent Lamp
Halogen Incandescent Lamp
Fluorescent Tube
High Pressure Mercury Vapour
High Pressure Sodium
Low Pressure Sodium
Metal Halide
LED

If anyone could give me a list of typical voltage used for these lamps that will be great.

Thanks

You say 'Lamp Voltage', are you interested in the voltage at the actual lamp (bulb in UK-speak) or do you want the voltage of the fitting?

There's often a big difference. LED light fittings are often 230vac but the voltage across the actual LED component will be around 3 VDC. Halogen incandescent fittings are almost always 230vac but the actual lamp can often be 12VAC. Same goes for many of the lights you've listed.

You say 'Lamp Voltage', are you interested in the voltage at the actual lamp (bulb in UK-speak) or do you want the voltage of the fitting?

There's often a big difference. LED light fittings are often 230vac but the voltage across the actual LED component will be around 3 VDC. Halogen incandescent fittings are almost always 230vac but the actual lamp can often be 12VAC. Same goes for many of the lights you've listed.

I am after the actual lamp voltage, will most of them be 12V? Thanks

leds will light up from 1v ... they need a driver to work on 230v.
halogens are mostly 12 or 230.
fluo, hps, metal halide are typically 230v around here, but they are not connected directly, they need a dedicated ballast/control circuit.
standard lamps mostly 230 but they can be 110v too, for use on construction sites etc.

I would recommend looking through manufacturers' data sheets, you should be able to get them online for all those lamps and their associated control gear, and you will find all sorts of other useful and interesting information. As they will reveal, some of those lamp types cannot be driven direct with a fixed voltage, the voltage across the lamp being determined by the lamp itself when the driver / ballast passes a regulated current through it. In the UK, control gear for virtually all lamps takes 230V input though.

Agree with Lucien, search data on-line as there are lots of variables. LEDs for instance could be 'bare' LEDs or have internal resistors or drivers to allow them to work at 12 or 230V. Even different colour LEDs have a different voltage requirement if they are bare LEDs. Blue are particularly high if I remember correctly. Daz

Fluorescent Tube
High Pressure Sodium
Low Pressure Sodium
Metal Halide
LED

If anyone could give me a list of typical voltage used for these lamps that will be great.

Thanks

Hi dude,the purpose of being asked this question,as part of a HND,is for you to research the types of lamp fittings,individually,and discover the range and type of voltage required.

If you ask for a list of answers,not only will you not guarantee the provenance of that list,you will skip the other bits of information collected along the way.

As with a lot of technical data,the "what",is never as interesting as the "why" :smartass:

Google carbon-arc or HID,and marvel at mans' ingenuity in producing light...

A whole day can be "wasted" merely dissecting and testing the components of a simple florescent assembly,in the course of discovery!

Please do not take this post as undue criticism,but i have recently visited the "Ideal Home Exhibition",here in my fair city,where a gentleman on a stand was attempting to explain the function of a plumbed-in kitchen device...he had all the technical component nomenclature nailed...he even disclosed a HND covering the topic area...but he patently did NOT know how a non-return valve functioned...

Had he dismantled one,and spent a while blowing and sucking through it....he may have avoided embarrassment :rolleyes4:

Fluorescent Tube
High Pressure Sodium
Low Pressure Sodium
Metal Halide
LED

Thanks

I would second the reply saying to do some research.

For example, a metal halide lamp, say an CDM150 will run off a 230V supply with running gear, comprising of a ballast and ignitor. If you're after the supply voltage, it's 230v. However the strike voltage to the lamp will be in the range of 3-5KV with a running voltage of 95v.

I'd say best way is to research typical lamps for each category you are looking at, get the datasheets, and they will give you all the information you need.

Reply to Lamp Voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net