Discuss Leaving a puppy in van whilst you work? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well it got nothing to do with the customer, unless they sit in the van with the dog.
It's got everything to do with the customer because they're the one paying for the services of the tradesman. They're going to want an electrician to turn up to do electrical work and concentrate on that, not what their dog is doing in the van. Like it or not a lot of customers read into what van a tradesman drives - if it's old and clapped out maybe he doesn't care about his image so maybe doesn't care about what the job looks like, if it's brand new and flashy he's making too much profit and may be ripping off his customers, likewise if the age of the van is hidden with a cherished plate.
What kind of message do you think turning up in a van with a dog in it is sending out?

The customer might also want their tradesman to be discrete and professional, not turn up with a barking dog for the curtain twitchers to see and judge.

Yes don't we already know lol

Anyone that knows me knows how strongly I feel about Dogs and their well being, I even do free work for a local Dog rescue to help them out, The saddest thing for me is that a lot of nice people do stupid things and don't even realise they are being cruel to a dog. Leaving a Dog locked up in a van for hours at a time is nothing more than cruelty, even more so when they are a intelligent and athletic breed, Lab's are so intelligent and thrive on excersie and stimulation.
When we took our's on it was only because our lass was working 2 hrs a day part time, now she stays home all day so Jack is never alone and gets at least 3-4 hours a day exercise off the lead plus pavement walking.

Your life suddenly as to be planned round the dog, yes it is ok to leave them for short periods but that's it from then on, holidays weekend breaks etc all have to be planned the same as if the dog was one of the children! and if you are not prepared to treat them the same then don't even think about buying one.

It's got everything to do with the customer because they're the one paying for the services of the tradesman. They're going to want an electrician to turn up to do electrical work and concentrate on that, not what their dog is doing in the van. Like it or not a lot of customers read into what van a tradesman drives - if it's old and clapped out maybe he doesn't care about his image so maybe doesn't care about what the job looks like, if it's brand new and flashy he's making too much profit and may be ripping off his customers, likewise if the age of the van is hidden with a cherished plate.
What kind of message do you think turning up in a van with a dog in it is sending out?

The customer might also want their tradesman to be discrete and professional, not turn up with a barking dog for the curtain twitchers to see and judge.
Oh dear, so we all have to drive a van of a certain age, not too old, not to new. I'll have to park mine round the corner. I washed it yesterday, so I hope I don't offend anyone. I think people want a quality job done for reasonable price, done by someone they can rely on. People are concerned on choosing the right trades person, and use different approaches, word of mouth is top of the list. The vehicle they turn up in, is not.

Last edited:
Sounds like quite a casual attitude towards work to me. If they're regular customers and you have an understanding with them they might not say anything, but if I was paying someone to do a job and he brought his dog or his kids or his mates with him I'd be wondering if he'd come to do the job or just to lark around.

A sparks I have worked with in the past has a large cage built in the back of his van and does what you are proposing, never caused any problems with customers, he leaves the side door of the van open, personally I don't see an issue with it, probably better than leaving a dog by itself at home! It can be exercised during the day if you have a break:) I can see the point re dog theft though. If you take kids to work you get better biscuits!

Oh dear, so we all have to drive a van of a certain age, not too old, not to new. I'll have to park mine round the corner. I washed it yesterday, so I hope I don't offend anyone. I think people want a quality job done for reasonable price, done by someone they can rely on. People are concerned on choosing the right trades person, and use different approaches, word of mouth is top of the list. The vehicle they turn up in, is not.

I do understand what Adam is saying but hate it at the same time, For me you should be judged on your work not your vehicles age, I should be ok though because while I have just bought a brand spanking new Vivaro, the lad is in an 07 vivaro so that should balance things out lol we will just have to think of which customer sees which van.
Joking apart if my customers had an issue with me in a new van they wouldn't be my customer for long, One of my top customers who spends a serious amount with me every month, was chuffed to bits when he saw my van, he looks at it how he should that I have invested not only in myself but in his company as well, he has approx 10 sites accross the uk and having a reliable new van ensures that I won't be constantly letting him down due to old vehicles breaking down daily.

Last edited:
Anyone that knows me knows how strongly I feel about Dogs and their well being, I even do free work for a local Dog rescue to help them out, The saddest thing for me is that a lot of nice people do stupid things and don't even realise they are being cruel to a dog. Leaving a Dog locked up in a van for hours at a time is nothing more than cruelty, even more so when they are a intelligent and athletic breed, Lab's are so intelligent and thrive on excersie and stimulation.
When we took our's on it was only because our lass was working 2 hrs a day part time, now she stays home all day so Jack is never alone and gets at least 3-4 hours a day exercise off the lead plus pavement walking.

Your life suddenly as to be planned round the dog, yes it is ok to leave them for short periods but that's it from then on, holidays weekend breaks etc all have to be planned the same as if the dog was one of the children! and if you are not prepared to treat them the same then don't even think about buying one.

That little comment from me was Jovial and like I posted it sounds like we are both singing the same hymn here...
marvo.gif

This was the animal I was refering to ... do you recognise him :)

I agree that all animals should be treated humanly and properly. There are a lot of dog owners who do not spend 24/7 with their pets, but are no less caring. Pups cry at night, when left by their human friend, but eventually learn they'll see them in the morning. Not everyone is in the position, to have a home carer for their pet, but does that prevent people from owning such a pet that brings great rewards to both pet & human. I know we are a nation of pet owners and it is emotive subject. Pigs are highly intelligent and can outperform 3 year old children on cognitive tests, yet we pen them up and eat them. As I said before, police dogs spend 6 hours a day, in the back of a van. If that was deemed cruel, why haven't the RSPCA prosecuted.

That little comment from me was Jovial and like I posted it sounds like we are both singing the same hymn here...
marvo.gif

This was the animal I was refering to ... do you recognise him :)

Yes lol and I get the joke involved now, I was a bit slow there wasn't I !!

I agree that all animals should be treated humanly and properly. There are a lot of dog owners who do not spend 24/7 with their pets, but are no less caring. Pups cry at night, when left by their human friend, but eventually learn they'll see them in the morning. Not everyone is in the position, to have a home carer for their pet, but does that prevent people from owning such a pet that brings great rewards to both pet & human. I know we are a nation of pet owners and it is emotive subject. Pigs are highly intelligent and can outperform 3 year old children on cognitive tests, yet we pen them up and eat them. As I said before, police dogs spend 6 hours a day, in the back of a van. If that was deemed cruel, why haven't the RSPCA prosecuted.

You bring up some points that really are stretching the conversation here, yes new dogs do take a while to adapt to the day night cycle, police dogs are always taken out of the vans at every convenience, they are specially trained and get more care and attention than most pet dogs from their users.
The pig reference is side-tracking the conversation here, yes, I see your point but the welfare and treatment of my bacon butty is a whole new conversation in itself - we were really discussing mans best freind here, not farmed animals.

You are right in a lot you say, but when you say not everyone is lucky enough to have a stay at home care, it as nothing at all to do with luck it is purely down to the fact that I work very hard in my company to allow our lass to not have to work, which allows her to stay at home with him because my attitude is if you take on a Dog then it is 100% your resposibilty to care for it and if that means doing a few extra hours a week then so be it.
I feel I need to point out though that this is just my opinion and the way I do things, I am not saying it is the way everyone should be, A good example is when my Dog was about 16 months old he stupidly chased a Bitch on the fields and then straight onto a main road, he was it by a transit van and the vets bill totalled 6k, now I had people saying bugger that get it put down or dump it at the pdsa and forget it. As you've probably guessed I paid the bill because you take the rough with the smooth.

Last edited:
You bring up some points that really are stretching the conversation here, yes new dogs do take a while to adapt to the day night cycle, police dogs are always taken out of the vans at every convenience, they are specially trained and get more care and attention than most pet dogs from their users.
The pig reference is side-tracking the conversation here, yes, I see your point but the welfare and treatment of my bacon butty is a whole new conversation in itself - we were really discussing mans best freind here, not farmed animals.
I don't think I am. All animals will adapt to their conditions. We're arguing if what HHD is suggesting is right or wrong. Police dogs; will spend a long time in the back of a van often being driven from one end of the county to the other, and at speed (to catch said criminals). They also work unsocial hours! Police dogs get the same care & attention as most others give (or should give) their dogs. However, police dogs don't seem to be unduly affected, by spending long hours in a van. I cannot see HHD subjecting his pet to the same conditions
The reference I made about pigs, is we in this country, have a love affair with pets and believe they should be treated in a certain way. People in other countries have a different view on dogs. Some people, in this country, have pigs as pets. You can guess, what they would say about your comment on 'bacon butty', each to their own.
HHD has chosen to have a dog, as posted here. Majority seem to have decided he has made the wrong decision. Looks as if he's not in the position of others, perhaps he should send it back! Or perhaps he could be given advise or tips how to manage his decision. I know of a few people, who take their dogs to work, and both pet owner & dog, live a full and enjoyable lifestyle. Good luck HHD & dog.

Last edited:
We have a dog. Got him almost a year ago. He is now approaching two years old and he goes everywhere with is. We can leave him in the car with the windows cracked open and he has no problem with that but we don't leave him for long.

He is a big active fellow and we knew that going in. It's a commitment you have to be prepared to make. If you can't, don't get the dog in the first place. We've had ours nearly a year now. From a rescue centre so it was a bit of a risk. But he has turned out to be a real gem.

He loves children - one for breakfast, one for dinner. Slightly more seriously, all the local kids fuss over him and he is so gentle with them. Cooped up in a van for an active breed is something I would seriously advise against.

Elegant%20Max%2001_zpsrjjmk9ul.jpg

A good example is when my Dog was about 16 months old he stupidly chased a Bitch on the fields and then straight onto a main road, he was it by a transit van and the vets bill totalled 6k, now I had people saying bugger that get it put down or dump it at the pdsa and forget it. As you've probably guessed I paid the bill because you take the rough with the smooth.
A guy I know had Husky's (I think). Last week he, took them for a walk across the fields where we live like he normally does. They chased some wild life, he got one back after half an hour but not the other. He found it around an hour later, it had ran across 4 fields onto the road in front of a lorry and was killed outright.Guy was devastated.

my aunt and uncle have a dog that is left to roam the house, never had any issues with it. best to get a cage or if you can lock it in a room with nothing to chew all the better.

it would be worth getting it used to a cage while your at home say start putting it in for 30mins and slowly extend it.

then eventually when you go out it will be used to it, you could put its bed in there and leave the door open throughtout the day.

i wouldn't suddenly give it loads of attention then leave it for 8 hours but slowly get it used to the cage while your there and do not pay any attention when it howls when first put it, its crying for attention

it would be worth getting it used to a cage while your at home say start putting it in for 30mins and slowly extend it.

then eventually when you go out it will be used to it, you could put its bed in there and leave the door open throughtout the day.

i wouldn't suddenly give it loads of attention then leave it for 8 hours but slowly get it used to the cage while your there and do not pay any attention when it howls when first put it, its crying for attention
Sounds exactly how my missus treats me.

I don't think I am. All animals will adapt to their conditions. We're arguing if what HHD is suggesting is right or wrong. Police dogs; will spend a long time in the back of a van often being driven from one end of the county to the other, and at speed (to catch said criminals). They also work unsocial hours! Police dogs get the same care & attention as most others give (or should give) their dogs. However, police dogs don't seem to be unduly affected, by spending long hours in a van. I cannot see HHD subjecting his pet to the same conditions
The reference I made about pigs, is we in this country, have a love affair with pets and believe they should be treated in a certain way. People in other countries have a different view on dogs. Some people, in this country, have pigs as pets. You can guess, what they would say about your comment on 'bacon butty', each to their own.
HHD has chosen to have a dog, as posted here. Majority seem to have decided he has made the wrong decision. Looks as if he's not in the position of others, perhaps he should send it back! Or perhaps he could be given advise or tips how to manage his decision. I know of a few people, who take their dogs to work, and both pet owner & dog, live a full and enjoyable lifestyle. Good luck HHD & dog.

Police dogs again are extremely well looked after, cared for and do not spend all days been driven round, there are strict rules regarding the well-being of police dogs more so than any other career pet and the amount of time they are travelling around is limited, those that cannot adapt or don't have the right temperament to the lifestyle they are been trained to are not chosen from an early stage, the difference with household pets is you usually pick ones for looks, breed, appeal etc and you don't tend to have a option of swapping it if it hasn't got the correct temperament when you find it struggles to fit your routine.
I wasn't commenting on having a dog in a car I was making a point of leaving it in one for several hours while you toot off and do some work then the misguided thinking that leaving the window open a crack will suffice, I am not talking 5, 10, 15mins here I am talking hour+.
I am not directly responding to HDD's opening post but to the ongoing conversation, this is not any kind of attack on HDD's choice here, but hopefully he will read all the discussion and see both sides of the argument to get a balanced view and what is and isn't regarded as acceptable.
As for my bacon butty comment although said in a jovial context, we live in a society that eats farmed pig products, if you choose to have a pig as a pet then it comes with the understanding you will be surrounding by shops etc selling food made from what you class as a pet and people talking openly about it, so I really can't see anyone taking offense at it; well possibly the vegans :smartass:

Police dogs again are extremely well looked after, cared for and do not spend all days been driven round, there are strict rules regarding the well-being of police dogs more so than any other career pet and the amount of time they are travelling around is limited, those that cannot adapt or don't have the right temperament to the lifestyle they are been trained to are not chosen from an early stage, the difference with household pets is you usually pick ones for looks, breed, appeal etc and you don't tend to have a option of swapping it if it hasn't got the correct temperament when you find it struggles to fit your routine.
I wasn't commenting on having a dog in a car I was making a point of leaving it in one for several hours while you toot off and do some work then the misguided thinking that leaving the window open a crack will suffice, I am not talking 5, 10, 15mins here I am talking hour+.
I am not directly responding to HDD's opening post but to the ongoing conversation, this is not any kind of attack on HDD's choice here, but hopefully he will read all the discussion and see both sides of the argument to get a balanced view and what is and isn't regarded as acceptable.
As for my bacon butty comment although said in a jovial context, we live in a society that eats farmed pig products, if you choose to have a pig as a pet then it comes with the understanding you will be surrounding by shops etc selling food made from what you class as a pet and people talking openly about it, so I really can't see anyone taking offense at it; well possibly the vegans :smartass:
if he does a fair bit of work on a farm etc he could make up a 10m lead for it and hook it to his vehicles towing eye so it can at least move around if its unsuitable to have it roaming free

again this depends on where he is working

if he does a fair bit of work on a farm etc he could make up a 10m lead for it and hook it to his vehicles towing eye so it can at least move around if its unsuitable to have it roaming free

again this depends on where he is working

That's is why I haven't directed any comments to HDD as it is circumstantial and he might be able to let his dog roam about at work but this all depends on his customer base and the nature of the sites, H&S on most sites now are getting stricter regarding pets on site so if he is working for any big construction groups then he would need to consider this and the possibility of further red tape been added, I know a few companies who have implemented a no pets policy over H&S reasons and to satisfy the insurance, again this is all situe' dependent but its definately a less pet freindly environment than it was 20yrs ago.

It appears we are at odds to describe the way in which police dogs are kept in their vans. Whether that is based on any actual experience or knowledge, on both our parts is uncertain, but perhaps we should leave it at that. I was using the analogy with police dogs to suggest, in certain circumstances, it is acceptable to leave them in a vehicle. We are not talking of leaving an animal locked up in a vehicle at the height of summer, but left for short periods with suitable ventilation, shade & water for the prevailing weather conditions at the time, and suitable periods of exercise.

Of course, I'm not savvy to HHD work commitments, but I tend to suspect he is a sole trader and unlikely to work on large construction sites or similar, that would make it unpractical for him to do as he suggests. It's down to HHD how he conducts his business, with regards a dog.

I'm sure HHD would welcome any suggestions and tips, but many seem to deem the concept an abhorrent idea. But, going back to my first paragraph, it would seem it is acceptable & achievable.

My pig reference was trying to show people have different thoughts & expectations on how to treat animals. Some people clearly have a very precis way which dogs should be kenneled and looked after, which includes not being left home alone. I suspect not all dog owners have the same views, again with certain criteria, can we suggest these dogs are mistreated?

I am not a dog owner, so perhaps not in a position to pontificate.

Last edited:

Reply to Leaving a puppy in van whilst you work? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net